Hornby B1 Derailing

hi all

I have a Hornby derailing on a third radius curve . what is happening is that as the front pony truck's rear wheel is lifting up as the loco enters the curve which then leads to a derailment. I have checked the back to back which is within tolerance and all my other locos go round without issues for years. Doe's anyone have any idea's as to what the problem is? Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Neil

• RMweb Gold

If there isn't a problem with the track have you checked the loco isn't distorted through Mazak rot? 

I haven't heard of that on a B1 as yet but several locos of the same era have fallen victim to this with the chassis block twisting or the bogie going out of shape or cracking.

I don't have a Hornby B1 but it sounds like the bogie is not traversing along its slot.  I believe they have the slot arrangement where the bogie moves sideways as well as swivels like the Bachmann locos and Bachmann are prone to that issue, not to the extent of de railing as we only have one very short stretch of 3rd radius.

I would check the slot for plastic moulding flash and grease it if there is any resistance.  

Screenshot (168).png

Edited by DCB

Hi all, I would not be too confident that mazak rot is not the cause. It is always worth checking. There have been reports of a few of the newer Hornby engines have fallen foul of this. Including the 9F, Class 31 and the T9. I had a 9F about the same age whose chassis literally broke in half with it.

On 10/04/2022 at 13:06, TheSignalEngineer said:

Derailing at a particular spot when everything else ran OK was the first symptom of mazak rot on both my T9 and 9F.

Excess drag from the tender and slipping when trying to pull trains was the sign our 9F had Mazak Rot.  The tender chassis crumbled like brown sugar.

Our T9 de railing had nothing to do with Mazak rot and was caused by unusually stupid  design of the chassis / bogie interface aided by fat traction tyres and thin flanges on the leading driving wheels,  This was swiftly rectified with a file about three years after buying the thing and after many hours eradicating humps and dips in the track adding check rails and generally tearing my hair out and cursing the thing.

Edited by DCB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/04/2022 at 08:26, DCB said:

Excess drag from the tender and slipping when trying to pull trains was the sign our 9F had Mazak Rot.

On mine the tender chassis was OK but the loco chassis was out of square and the back end was prone to climbing the outer rail on left hand curves.

On 18/04/2022 at 08:26, DCB said:

Our T9 de railing had nothing to do with Mazak rot and was caused by unusually stupid  design of the chassis / bogie interface aided by fat traction tyres and thin flanges on the leading driving wheels,

Agreed, my T9 and M7 took a lot of tweaking originally to get them to run reliably. Then the T9 became victim of cracking of the bits holding the motor in place and off it went again. OK since Hornby overhauled it. 🤞

• Informative/Useful 1