Problem with static grassing

Today I did some static grass application and it was not satisfactory; I don't think that it has ever been good.

The applicator I use is by Greenscene and the 'grass' is the short static grass either from Greenscene or from A.N.Other supplier.

Now I don't know why it's going wrong.

The PP9 Battery is fresh, checked with multimeter.

The earthing wire is connected to a pin that is bedded into where the adhesive is brushed.

The adhesive is also Greenscene, Static grass cement.  Sometimes it is PVA.

The light lights.  The anode can be heard to 'crackle'. So it should all work.

I apply the grass by giving a vigorous shaking at the wrist, as demonstrated.

So why is it that instead of sticking up as it should, the grass lays flat?

• RMweb Gold

Sounds to me like you do not have the applicator close enough to the surface that you are grassing. Try to get the base of the applicator within 25mm of the glue surface or even closer if you can. The further the fibres have to drop the less charge they will have.

I used the Greenscene applicators and fibres when tutoring for Pendon Museum’s Scenic workshops and had no problems with the Students getting good results. 
By the way, contrary to popular opinion you do not need to have the applicator grounded in the glue, just grounded somewhere.  Most people will ground it like you have done because the wire is quIte short. Nothing wrong with that, except that when you remove it will leave a small ‘bald’ spot.

Hope this helps and good luck. 

Thank you for that Nick. The applicator is as close as I can get without ploughing, so yes close enough. It does not seem to make a difference how much grass it is loaded with; I have tried lots, I have tried a little . Should I be able to check continuity between the earth terminal and the battery terminals?

Even though the battery, the black & gold brand, was straight out of the pack, I have no idea how long it has been on the shelf. Neither do I know how quickly the applicator will drain it.

Would it be safe to connect the battery terminals to a power supply? I have an old Gaugemaster power unit knocking about that I sometimes use for non-DCC locomotives.

I connect my Greenscene to a 12v walwart style supply. The spark I get is now almost 25mm long and very strong 😀

Another tip I was given that I found helps is NOT to ground the wander lead by sticking it into the scenery, clipping to a rail, or whatever. Simply hold it ABOVE the area that you are flocking and shake the grass outof the Greenscene. This has worked wonders for me and I can not get 6mm grass to stand up beautifully - or as beautiful as 6mm grass can be!

EDIT - the supply I use is 12v DC, my Gaugemaster supply for my Combi is 16v AC

Edited by WIMorrison
added DC information
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not to contradict all the advice above, but from the early days of using static grass. initially a puffer bottle and later the modified fly swat/tea strainer, I've always kept a vacumm cleaner hose to hand.  Any grass that shows a tendency to lie down has the nozzle of the hose waved over it thus pulling the grass upright.  A little practice is required otherwise your grass will disappear into the cleaner but the rate of loss is quite low once you have the knack.  I've taught the technique to friends who now do the same.  I suppose a nylon stocking across the nozzle would reduce loss of fibres but as a widower buying stockings or tights in the village shop may start some gossip 🙂

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, shipbadger said:

Not to contradict all the advice above, but from the early days of using static grass. initially a puffer bottle and later the modified fly swat/tea strainer, I've always kept a vacumm cleaner hose to hand.  Any grass that shows a tendency to lie down has the nozzle of the hose waved over it thus pulling the grass upright.  A little practice is required otherwise your grass will disappear into the cleaner but the rate of loss is quite low once you have the knack.  I've taught the technique to friends who now do the same.  I suppose a nylon stocking across the nozzle would reduce loss of fibres but as a widower buying stockings or tights in the village shop may start some gossip 🙂

Buy them online then.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Another tip I was given that I found helps is NOT to ground the wander lead by sticking it into the scenery, clipping to a rail, or whatever. Simply hold it ABOVE the area that you are flocking and shake the grass out

This is what Martyn Rees from War World Scenics says too, in his YouTube demonstration videos and I would imagine he knows a thing or two about it.

• RMweb Gold

Change your Greenscene static grass to a better product. Mine would`nt hold a static charge well enough, and was a waste of money Eg Noch, Heki and /or MiniNatur if you can get it.

I use Their Flockit and also a Grasmaster 2

You`ll never look back

20210820_175400.jpg.155d3fe53920b594ba6651d20a1c85fa.jpg

20210627_163715.jpg.2994ebba2c4634ce5ab55226027ec369.jpg

DSC06146.JPG.b94c730dc0022f8ec5d640bd6bb50136.JPG

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John Clitsome said:

Something I've always meant to ask. If you ground onto track should locos be removed? Would they suffer any damage, particularly DCC/sound.

Yes, do not know about electrical damage, but my experiance is the static grass goes everywhere, not good if it gets inside a loco, I use a bag less vacuum to recover and reuse all that does not stick.

1 hour ago, ROSSPOP said:

Change your Greenscene static grass to a better product. Mine would`nt hold a static charge well enough, and was a waste of money Eg Noch, Heki and /or MiniNatur if you can get it.

I use Their Flockit and also a Grasmaster 2

You`ll never look back

The Flockit is made by, and is synonymous with, Greenscene and I have found it significantly better than the others you mention - especially when the grounding wire is waved around where you are working.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, fulton said:

Yes, do not know about electrical damage, but my experiance is the static grass goes everywhere, not good if it gets inside a loco, I use a bag less vacuum to recover and reuse all that does not stick.

I use a rechargeable, bagless, handheld vacuum for everything. Lugging a darn great vacuum cleaner around is too much hassle. I keep my cleaner on the work bench along with the rest of the tools in play.

Edited by AndrueC

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

The Flockit is made by, and is synonymous with, Greenscene and I have found it significantly better than the others you mention - especially when the grounding wire is waved around where you are working.

I think I said I use their Flockit and as you say it is a tad better than the Grassmaster..... it`s Greenscene static fibres that I find ineffective particularly as, in some of their grass shades,  they include the dreaded red fibres

• Like 1