Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

GWR wagon sheets circa 1902-1905

tpm1ca

Hello:

I'm really new to UK railways and modelling them. I have some GWR open wagons in 7mm scale for a model railway set in the 1902-05 era and I'm wondering about sheets to cover loads. Did the GWR use sheets at this time? If so, what did they look like? And has anybody modelled them in 7mm scale? I'd love to see photos of the real things and the models. Thanks in advance!

- Trevor

• RMweb Premium

#Yes, sheets were used extensively in the period you are interested in, by the GWR and other railways. Vans were very much in the minority, so any load that needed protection from the weather and was in an open wagon would be sheeted.

As a starting point, the picture here gives a sense of the lettering on GWR sheets in your period: http://www.gwr.org.uk/liverieswagplate.html

There are further links and info in this thread: 

Also, see these links for Ian Smith’s designs for GWR sheets:

Images aren’t showing at the moment, but hopefully one the issues with images on RMweb settle down, they will reappear. 

Nick.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Agreed - a simple like doesn't seem enough when someone's gone to that much trouble to reply!

Normally searching Google but adding "rmweb" in your query is the quickest way to find threads on here but it doesn't work since the problems - you can still find relevant threads so at least know they exist but the links to them don't work and it doesn't say where abouts in the forum they are unfortunately.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

ou can still find relevant threads so at least know they exist but the links to them don't work and it doesn't say where abouts in the forum they are unfortunately.

Since the change of hosting has broken a lot of Google search links (until they get re-indexed perhaps?)  I've found removing the /community part of google links to RMweb pages will solve the problem.

So this link won't work, for example.

But this will

Edited by 41516
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

There has been some discussion of Great Western wagon sheets for the period you mention in my wagon building topic. the situation is complicated by there apparently being a design change round about 1902-4; a sheet would be in use for around 15-21 months before going back to the Didcot (IIRC) sheet stores for overhaul, which would include new markings. See here and adjacent posts:

Not all photos back yet...

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There has been some discussion of Great Western wagon sheets for the period you mention in my wagon building topic. the situation is complicated by there apparently being a design change round about 1902-4; a sheet would be in use for around 15-21 months before going back to the Didcot (IIRC) sheet stores for overhaul, which would include new markings.

Not particularly relevant, but just for info, the main GWR sheet store was at Worcester, with others at Saltney, Cathays [post-grouping] and Bridgwater. Possibly you were thinking of the Provender Store for horse feed, which was at Didcot?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Possibly you were thinking of the Provender Store for horse feed, which was at Didcot?

Yes, that's it. I didn't know until just now where the GW sheet stores were. The Midland one was adjacent to Sheet Stores Junction, so one can't forget it!

Edited by Compound2632