Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

4mm scale Etched buffer back plates for wagons

Does anyone know of a manufacturer/supplier of rectangular etched brass buffer back plates that are suitable for wagons? I've remove the moulded buffers from a couple of Lima bogie pallet vans and the back plate that is leftover is uneven and not very sharply moulded. The plan is to fit Accurascale sprung buffers....Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I knew of any.  I usually cut them out of plastic sheet 10 thou and solvent them to the buffer beam and make do with that.

If I am feeling so inclined I have made bolt head by manipulating tiny pieces of plasticard on to the corners.

That is best avoided if you wish to remain sane !

Rob

• Like 1

On 04/05/2022 at 18:02, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've just dug out my stash, they are A1 models, if they still do them?

Mike.

Thanks Mike, can't find any suppliers but worth trawling ebay in the hope some might pop up! Have A1 products been discontinued?

A1 products are still selling etched bits on ebay. Their seller name is "a1models-doncaster". They do still offer narrow gauge and 4mm standard gauge parts. I couldn't recall seeing any buffer backing plates at all in their ebay shop but it may be worth searching yourself.

• 2 years later...

Try Dinghams couplings, available from the Gauge O Guild.  They sell both the O gauge and 4mm frets.  The Dingham coupler is compatible with three-link and screw couplings.  The fret includes plates with the slot in them.  You just drill a 2mm hole in the buffer beam, choose your plate and then insert either the Dingham hook or your choice of hook coupling in the slot and superglue it to the buffer beam.

6 hours ago, 6029 King Stephen said:

Try Dinghams couplings, available from the Gauge O Guild.  They sell both the O gauge and 4mm frets.  The Dingham coupler is compatible with three-link and screw couplings.  The fret includes plates with the slot in them.  You just drill a 2mm hole in the buffer beam, choose your plate and then insert either the Dingham hook or your choice of hook coupling in the slot and superglue it to the buffer beam.

Good coupling but the OP was looking for buffer back plates.

On 21/04/2022 at 11:05, Macforrest said:

Does anyone know of a manufacturer/supplier of rectangular etched brass buffer back plates that are suitable for wagons? I've remove the moulded buffers from a couple of Lima bogie pallet vans and the back plate that is leftover is uneven and not very sharply moulded. The plan is to fit Accurascale sprung buffers....Thanks!

Have you considered Lanarkshire Models. They can supply there cast buffers pre drilled for sprung heads.

• Thanks 1