Lenz set 100 with ztc slave

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

At Taunton today I have picked up a Lenz set  100 from the bring and buy stand.  I’ve been after one of these for a while knowing that you can set up a ztc511 as a slave controller which will finally give me two controllers on Brent (and have one walk about / one fixed unit).  Which will allow my powercab to be moved to my modern layout.

only problem is the conversations about the Lenz / 512 combo were in the distant past, and I can’t remember whats needed to join them up….  Including wether the 511 still needs mains power.

I don’t suppose anyone can remember what is needed?

There are wiring diagrams around in the internet which show the Xpressnet pin-out for both Lenz and ZTC.  That gives the pin connections required for electrical connection. 

Yes, the ZTC will require mains power, or it cannot operate.   The settings for the ZTC to make it a secondary (slave) device are in the ZTC manual.   It will also need an Xpressnet number when acting as a handset, different to any other handsets on the Lenz system. 

It should all work.  Though when I went to a friend's house recently to do similar for an old ZTC onto a Roco Z21, before I got into doing the Xpressnet wiring, I realised that the Z21's "sniffer" port was a simpler and quicker solution for the hardware combination.  

Hi Rich, 

shame you did not have the set 100 a week ago. Could have sent you the wiring diagrams, 8 pin mini din plugs plus the bigger 5pin din plugs and ready made up adapters harness’s. 

I made up an adapter for the hand held ZTC622 to Xpressnet as well. 

I had the Set 100 which was bought to overcome all the well known issues with the 511 and I did use the 511 as a slave for a while but I could not put up with the silly errors in the 511 which are still there when the 511 is a slave. 

I am away from home on holiday until August, not a typing error, so if you are still stuck let me know and you can have everything I have. 

Regards, Andy Jack. 

Edited by two tone green

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2022 at 19:40, two tone green said:

Hi Rich, 

shame you did not have the set 100 a week ago. Could have sent you the wiring diagrams, 8 pin mini din plugs plus the bigger 5pin din plugs and ready made up adapters harness’s. 

I made up an adapter for the hand held ZTC622 to Xpressnet as well. 

I had the Set 100 which was bought to overcome all the well known issues with the 511 and I did use the 511 as a slave for a while but I could not put up with the silly errors in the 511 which are still there when the 511 is a slave. 

I am away from home on holiday until August, not a typing error, so if you are still stuck let me know and you can have everything I have. 

Regards, Andy Jack. 

Thanks Andy, enjoy the holiday I will try and remember to drop you a pm later in the year.  I think with Brent I can live with the 511s quirks other than the lack of programming on the main, so I am thinking the Lenz / ZTC hybrid may do the job.  (Though whether or not I will stick with it rather than reverting back to my Powercab is a different question)

• 3 months later...

Hi Rich,

Back from holiday and found the diagrams I used to connect ZTC 511 / 620 to the Lenz LZV100 command station. 

Using them I worked out how to get it all to work which it did. 

I had a look in my junk box and could not find the connectors / made up interface harness so I have either given them away already or binned them when I went fully over to ESU stuff. 

I still have my 511 and 620 handset if you need more of them. 

Have fun. 

Andy Jack

Lenz LH100 to ZTC-511.pdf ZTC-521 to Lenz LZ100.pdf ZTC-550 to Lenz LZ100.pdf

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that,  I am a little confused though as I dont see which of those 3 diagrams I should be using to connect the output of a 511 into the input on the LZ100. 

As I understand it the  wiring diagram for the 5pin DIN which will pug into the LZV100 is that shown in the middle attachment, what I am less clear on is what the other end of the cable should look like (that plugs into the ZTC 511 (8pin DIN if i recall correctly?)