When do trains run on this line?

Graham108

Whist walking my dog somewhere for the first time I came across a railway line. Looking at Google maps it appears to leave / join the ECML at Benton, just North of Newcastle and goes up to Blyth and beyond. I'm guessing it's used for coal trains - one Google satellite view shows what appears to be a 24-wagon train, HTA's / HYA's perhaps - but interestingly there doesn't appear to be a loco at either end.

I've seen forum members identifying particular trains by code / route so where can I find what trains are likely to use this line and a timetable so I can be present and perhaps get a photo or two.

Hi Graham

There are a couple of websites that provide train information. Probably the best known is Realtime Trains. If you use the basic site, this will give you passenger train arrival and departure times; but little else. Switch to the detailed options and you can get freight trains and intermediate timing points. This search:   https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:NSHMLC/2022-04-27/0001-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt  shows all of the timetabled services passing Newsham Level Crossing, which is on the Benton-Blythe route, tomorrow (click on the individual train for timings over its entire route). 

It's important to note that freight services often run way early or late, and frequently not at all (a lot of timetable paths exist so that trains can use them, but they won't run if there's no requirement to do so). This search shows trains passing Newsham last Wednesday, and you can see that only three trains actually ran: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:NSHMLC/2022-04-20/0001-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt (I think they only store about a week's workings in arrears, so this link may die tomorrow).

Hope this helps

Jim

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

It's usually known as the Blyth and Tyne, after the company which built the line.

It runs from Benton Quarry Junction alongside the Metro for some distance befoire turning north, passing Seaton Delaval, Newsham (next to Blyth), and on to a junction at Bedlington, where a line diverges to the left to Morpeth.  The other line continues to North Seaton/Winning/Marcheys House, where there is a triangular Junction, with the line to the east heading to North Blyth (alumina terminal and Battleship Wharf atBlyth harbour on the north side of the River Blyth.

The other line from North Seaton heads north through Ashington to Lynemouth Power station.

The usual trains are Biomass pellets to Lynemouth power station and some trains from North Blyth to Alcan at Fort William carrying alumina.

The line from Newcastle, Benton Quary Junction to Ashington is due to reopen to pasenger trains as far as Ashington in 2024.

At one time it was part of a much bigger network including a line to the Tyne via Percy Main, branches to Blyth and the local pits, a branch to Newbiggin by the Sea and beyond Lynemouth to more pits etc.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Informative/Useful 4