Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cambrian Shed (nearly Aberystwyth shed). Now with Cambrian Mainline diorama

SteamingWales

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Does look very nice, but it's a tad expensive in my opinion...

I said it in the actual topic but it is only £10 more than the Rapido Dynamometer car and in terms of detail it is comparable, maybe even better with the tail lamp and DCC control

Currently it looks like my only big purchase for 2024 as after the A/S Manors I have no need for any other big ticket items currently available RTR

• Like 4

On 21/01/2023 at 22:23, SteamingWales said:

I've been getting the hang of the ModelU guttering today and fitted the main guttering and outlets to both the workshop and boiler house. Down spouts to follow once I source the relevant plastic strip to do these

PXL_20230121_221247329.jpg.bd0e66ef04de072eadd19b052cdef6c3.jpg

I've also cleaned up and given the seaward/western entrance to the workshop it's first coat of paint

PXL_20230121_221152719.jpg.19a8978b56cc51308f70a9cba9e83c83.jpg

Did you use the 4" or 6" gutters and how did you get on with them. I've just purchased some 4"and until I saw your picture here was just about to give up. Any tips on how you went about matching the parts up and gluing them together. ? You've made me want to persevere. 

Offsets.jpeg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Modelu Chris said:

Good morning everyone! Managed to find some time to get this sent to yourself before the mailing list, hope you enjoy, lots more releases incoming!

Welcome to the Modelu July Newsletter! To kick off the month we had a superb weekend at the Bluebell Railway Model Railway Event, with us set up in the shop at Sheffield Park with our scanning kit.  The guys there couldn't be more helpful in providing us with locomotives to pair up with crews.  Being able to see the real thing and get insight from the crews who drive them was invaluable.

We've plans afoot with the Bluebell to produce a complete range of pre-grouping station staff after scanning a constant stream of volunteers in SR and LBSCR clothing.  Look out for updates in our forthcoming newsletters!

image.png.d60e4fddf07cc62b06c0d7467e3e3e0f.png

Our People In Conversation competition didn't get a huge number of entries, but those we had were exceptional.  With such a high standard of figure painting it has a hard decision to pick a winner, but in the end it was the expert skills of Steven Draper that most caught our eye.  Steven has presented the figures here in O gauge, painstakingly painted in oils, to give a wonderful finish.  The scene is titled:

"Go on Jack - Race her to Callington"

Well done Steven, you've won a £25 voucher and Modelu Modeller of the Month for June!  You can see more of Steven's work from his 'miniverse' on Facebook and Instagram, please search the name Terrific Trains.

image.png.fb2a9d1383b6a73e82ba8546be1b356c.png

We are pleased to announce that we've added the first of a new range of Water Cranes to the website.  This first launch features 6 variants of the distinctive GWR Water Crane, including cranked and straight arms, platform and ground mounts and short or standard length arms.  Available now in 4mm and 7mm with N, TT and 3mm to follow.  The packs include a fire devil and options for drainage including a hopper or drain cover.  

image.png.7a16b82690135cf6e82b0b1120949b39.png

image.png.964250738af99f32dd7fec1a939157ab.png

image.png.71fe80c5e6307dc504e96ad584d908b3.png

With our attendance at the Bluebell Railway Model Weekend we thought it about time to create a crew for a favourite loco of ours which is based there.  9017 was the first ever preserved steam locomotive and the only member of the Dukedog class to be saved, being delivered to the Bluebell in 1961 from Oswestry.  We've now designed a new Dukedog crew specifically for the Bachmann model, though you will find these suitable for many other GWR classes.

image.png.c0527ffe7a70926b24a3f1ac992929dc.png

Modelu customer Tobi Johnson and his father helped us out with our colour Accurascale Manor scans a few months back.  Whilst they were with us we captured a few other poses, including this new set of crew figures preparing a top link service.  They include a driver oiling up, a fireman fitting headboard and a cleaner holding a headboard and tool bucket.  These are a great little set for a shed scene cameo!  Thanks to Fox Transfers for the headboard - please note that it is not included in the pack!

image.png.217441bac18ad7b33de7a6bb1763e303.png

ModelU are after all my money! Water cranes finally release and can't say no to the figure fitting a headboard!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can you at least set up a laptop modelling tray so you can get on with some small jobs on rolling stock or minor buildings? 

One of the iconic layouts of the 1960s was owned by someone who lived in a caravan.

Hope all goes well with the internship.

Jonathan

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good luck - don't despair - there is plenty you can do in the meantime as everyone is saying above.

A small box of kits will soon turn into something nice on the winter evenings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks everyone for the support ☺️

I think I get a desk in the room of the shared house on the reserve so potentially opportunity for some bits and bobs on various

It might be a contender for most scenic modelling desk as almost all the rooms in the house look out onto the main lake on the reserve! 🦢🦢

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2023 at 17:02, SteamingWales said:

Thanks everyone for the support ☺️

I think I get a desk in the room of the shared house on the reserve so potentially opportunity for some bits and bobs on various

It might be a contender for most scenic modelling desk as almost all the rooms in the house look out onto the main lake on the reserve! 🦢🦢

They seem to have gone a little out of style at the moment but would a box file or IKEA Knagglig box layout be an option? Perhaps the insides of a shed would give something to display your locos on?

1 hour ago, 1722 said:

They seem to have gone a little out of style at the moment but would a box file or IKEA Knagglig box layout be an option? Perhaps the insides of a shed would give something to display your locos on?

Unfortunately not. The position is unpaid so I am having to rely on savings, so any modelling will have to done with the resources I already have. Can't be starting another model, even a mini one!

• Friendly/supportive 8

Typical!  I find a thread on a subject well within my sphere of interest that has a manageable amount of progress to keep me interested and inspire ideas of what I could do, then it pauses while the author does something else!

In other news, I too have found jobs which weren’t good for me having a detrimental effect on various aspects of personal well-being and taken a leap of faith into something I find more in keeping with my life goals.  First it was leaving the world of offshore finance for the Police, then when the Police became no fun, leaving that fir bus/coach driving.  Conservation is massively important and needs devoted people to lead the charge.  I’m sure you’ll get and give plenty for the internship, and it sounds like an idyllic place to do it.  A break from a project is also often beneficial.  I’m looking forward to seeing how it continues when you get back to it.  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So I moved in at Martin Mere last week and this is the view from the living room 😍😍

PXL_20230823_124337272.jpg.c51cb3fc7f59d0ddb09d9ba4763d5a33.jpg

I do also have a desk so have set out on little modelling jobs. The first being adding etched nameplates the 7802 and 7812

PXL_20230824_064857646.jpg.2ce254db1cd67be1926a00a0375cd971.jpg

I should be able to migrate over a few other bits and pieces so more modelling fun in due course!

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time for some actual modelling!

Over the past few weeks I've had opportunity to identify parts of the layout that can be progressed that don't necessarily require a layout and the pendulum swang to the bike sheds at the end of the coal stage embankment.

Very few photos of these structures exist, mostly being in the background (see bottom right) so some modelling license has been employed for details.

1170652359_BW60-107818Aberystwyth7_60.jpg.88baed8a80dc4f11ea00965a12f3ff50.jpg.3eb7e7f0cbcfcba430743afb6c2fa52c.jpg

I can at least say that they are 2 separate structures, likely of corrugated metal or wooden construction and general shape can be implied. So I went for the larger of two sheds being corrugated metal and the other wooden with metal roof. These are now in the paint shop so hopefully can show them off soon.

PXL_20230917_133515858.jpg.e5f608b77b63ab0970ba66279941349f.jpg

PXL_20230918_153303364.jpg.88f87e50e37c3fecef2ee7e43c5242ec.jpg

I've also acquired some of the ModelU water cranes which I can progress with. The problem with these however is I ordered the wrong arm lengths for both  after a quick email to the ModelU team they have offered to do a straight exchange for the correct kits.

Another little detail associated with the water cranes at Aberystwyth were these what only can be described from first glance as "white boxes". A little research and asking later and turns out they are coal stores for the fire devils. These should make for a nice easy CAD session for a couple of 3D prints

PXL_20230918_1752143492.jpg.005f6264968a5929ed34324ccda8b002.jpg

Finally I'll end with this photos from the warm spell earlier this month. Happy modelling everyone 

original_11dc27a7-17af-4310-bbce-2bef82c329e6_PXL_20230906_175235818.jpg.ed5637a169ac8cb268e9372688afad41.jpg

• Like 11