Hornby Modified Pacifics; best Decoder.

• RMweb Premium

I am reluctant to ask on the DCC pages as it tends to get far too technical for me. 

There isn't a lot of room in a Hornby Modified Bulleid, DCC Ready, to fit a Decoder, as the 'seat' is set high up and hardly clears the inside of the Boiler top.

Has anyone got any DCC Fitted  Modified Pacifics  and could they suggest an easy make  to use? 

I have fitted a couple with Digitrax DZ126PS and they are OKish but still a faff. I only need a basic function item and these are good value at £22 and fine for NCE Powercab.

image.png.df5fc6f45ea6d7b7ef1804477227113f.png

Thanks.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I have just fitted a Zen Blue sleeve to a Brocklebank line. I found room on the side of the firebox and fixed it to the chassis with black tack This was hard wired as the loco was not DCC ready! I have in the past fitted to the chassis behind the motor and an even smaller chip above the gears. Much easier in the tender on later models!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have several of these (both Merchant Navy and Light Pacifics) and all bar one have Lenz Standard+ decoders.  The one exception has a Zimo MX600R.  All run very well and I didn't get any problems fitting them.  

Edited by RFS
  • Thanks 1

My Ottery St Mary is fitted with a ZTC258 which is a decoder with the 8 pin plug on the underside (so no wires to get in the way), and fitted in the tender as far as I remember. I've got loads of them and they work perfectly. I've compared their performance to a Lenz Standard and they're equal.  You have to buy them direct from ZTC (Now Taunton Controls) and I don't know whether they've got any at the moment as they've suffered with Covid.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/05/2022 at 12:37, Combe Martin said:

My Ottery St Mary is fitted with a ZTC258 which is a decoder with the 8 pin plug on the underside (so no wires to get in the way), and fitted in the tender as far as I remember. I've got loads of them and they work perfectly. I've compared their performance to a Lenz Standard and they're equal.  You have to buy them direct from ZTC (Now Taunton Controls) and I don't know whether they've got any at the moment as they've suffered with Covid.

Thanks for that. The issue I had/have  is that the loco fitted ones have a very restricted space above the Decoder where the bottom of the Boiler comes inwards; i have trimmed that on mine and it just works for the Decoder I illustrated. Plug Direct types are too thick and foul against the under side of the Boiler Top.

The Modified Light Pacifics are a little easier because there is a space forward of the motor and into the smoke box. I think it is the Packets that don't have that space to shove a Harness and Decoder through. I have one or two (more modern makes?) where the Decoder is in the Tender, ready for sound if required? MUCH easier to deal with.

Thanks CM.

Edited by Mallard60022