Mark 2d FK

diyceejay

No photos I'm afraid but from memory, the 'D' was the last to have wood panelled interiors, the compartments were the same as Mk2c, the best reference off the top of my head is to watch the opening credits from the 1971 film 'Get Carter' in which Carter takes the train from Kings Cross to Newcastle - the Mk2 First Class Compartment he uses is very similar to the 'D' apart from the sealed windows, and I think later type seats without the 'wings' to the top,

Edited by andyman7
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, diyceejay said:

Can anybody tell me or show me an image of the interior of this coach? How was it finished in terms of colours and materials?

Here's a suitable extract from "British Rail Mark 2 Coaches" by Michael Harris:

255005453_Mk2dinteriors.jpg.70f8b36e61e5eac2ed25b8e74c183b23.jpg

Hope this helps, even if it's not in colour.

Ian

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Yes, internally they had the 1960s Mk.2 style First Class interiors developed from the XP64 prototypes. They looked very smart too.

Here's an interior shot. Some of the material finshes are later but the basic structure is stil the same.

Note the space above the seats had a full width mirror on one side and a material finish opposite.

The interior of the compartment in the image looks to have undergone the 1980s facelift, with the bright moquette on the seats. The original finish looks to have been black/grey check on the seats, however the greenish carpet in the image looks like what was fitted when new.

Here’s some pictures of a Mk2d FK by Jono26, completed shortly before he died. There were some pics on his thread on here but they haven’t appeared back since the migration.

Brian.

904C27A8-A516-4324-AAFE-92E89C37A0FB.jpeg

9CF70146-47CD-4F66-B91B-5D5B4AAB89AA.jpeg

6027BBCD-7893-4E56-AD08-1D52E8C84E0A.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EddieK said:

The interior of the compartment in the image looks to have undergone the 1980s facelift, with the bright moquette on the seats. The original finish looks to have been black/grey check on the seats, however the greenish carpet in the image looks like what was fitted when new.

Yes, as I mentioned some of the surface finishes had been changed (not least the seat moquette), but the basic structure, including the windged headrests, remained the same. Incidentally the seat rake could be adjusted by pulling the front edge of the seat cushion forwards, as demonstrated in that b&w photo from the Mk.2 book.

Yes, it was a dark grey chequered pattern originally.

Incidentally, the First Open seats used on Mk.2c, d & e coaches were the pattern originally developed for the Mk.2 Pullmans. There were no Mk.2, a or b FOs and the 2fs used the Mk.3 pattern (orange, of course).

• Like 1

Thank you chaps, that is all most helpful. I'm modelling in n gauge 1982 so will probably go for the orange seats....although this image I found on Flickr suggests seats were blue at some point? What do you think?

Mk2 FK Interior

47 minutes ago, diyceejay said:

Thank you chaps, that is all most helpful. I'm modelling in n gauge 1982 so will probably go for the orange seats....although this image I found on Flickr suggests seats were blue at some point? What do you think?

Mk2 FK Interior

That's NSE era so post-1986

• Like 1

Ah-ha....what a minefield! So the blue was NSE...the stripes were the refit of the eighties...

So would I be right in assuming that a western region Mk2D FK in 1982 would have the original seat design, which, using the Michael Harris book description would look like this:

PCD13d_103a.jpg

12 hours ago, diyceejay said:

Mk2 FK Interior

That blue moquette brings back memories of a coach I drove in the 1990s that had been re-trimmed in it. Various bus trim shops had ended up with acres of the stuff that would probably have covered most of the country rolled out flat, perhaps bought as legitimate surplus….perhaps not? Either way it was punted as a “special deal” to any operator who’s coaches had tired interiors and needed a bit of a lift. There was an identical pattern with a darker blue backing and paler shades of blue patterning.

I would wager a pound that there are still rolls of the stuff lingering in trim shops today.