Cambrian wagons from Cambrian kits

• RMweb Premium
On 25/05/2022 at 19:14, Compound2632 said:

The CAM (f-d-l) RYS livery is very attractive but for me the question is, what proportion of the wagon fleet would have received it by the summer of 1902? I'm tempted to do one with and one without, or both without if I'm feeling too mean to fork out for transfers!

By the turn of the century the Cambrian was upping it's game by replenishing its stock alongside new liveries. By 1902 my guess would be that a lot of the stock encountered would be showing new liveries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree that the Cambrian was in a much better position by 1902 that in 1892. But if as is suggested in GWW the CAM RYS lettering only started to be applied in 1899 by 1902 it would only have been a proportion of the stock. I very much doubt if wagons would have been taken into works just for repainting in the new livery, so it would have waited for the regular maintenance visit.

But more than I expected. At the start of 1891 there appear to have been 1252 wagons, while by the end of 1892 this had risen to 1733 (statistics produced by Richard Evans). Some of the wagons extant in 1891 would have been withdrawn and replaced by the new builds. So about a quarter of the fleet at the end of 1892 could have had the new style livery, depending on when in 1899 it was introduced. This would include some existing wagons which received the livery during regular maintenance.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

For what its worth, here is my take on the pre- and post-1899 liveries.

Pre-1899

IMG_1850.jpg

Post-1899

IMG-2206.jpg

Both are Cambrian Models sides and ends on scratch built underframes. As you can see, both still need their brake levers! Brake gear is slightly simplified in the interests of retaining some sanity, and use etched brass vee hangers and safety loops with refined moulded brake shoes and rods. Buffers and axlebox/spring assemblies are 3D prints from Coastline models, sprung buffers are MJT, as are the W-irons. Transfers are from the Welsh Railways Research Circle (Camkits, I think).

I've also built some CM 2-plank dropsides in the same way, but they're even less advanced!

IMG-2211.jpg

Hope that's of interest.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Thanks - for 1902, I feel one in each style will be the way to go.

Looking back through my notes, I think it was Alan @Quarryscapes that sent me his spreadsheet on Cambrian wagon numbers/build details - he's definitely the guru.

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I also meant to add that my wagons are usually spray painted with Tamiya rattle cans. In this case, for pre-1899 I settled on AS-10 Ocean Grey (RAF) and for post-1899 on AS-2 Light Gray (IJN), with ironwork picked out by hand in XF-84 Dark Iron.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not relevant to your prototypes, but photos apparently taken not very long before 1900 show a good number of 2-plank opens still with a single wooden brake block. It was suggested to me that they would have been altered or scrapped by the First World War.

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 11/07/2022 at 10:33, 2996 Victor said:

For what its worth, here is my take on the pre- and post-1899 liveries.

Pre-1899

IMG_1850.jpg

Post-1899

IMG-2206.jpg

Both are Cambrian Models sides and ends on scratch built underframes. As you can see, both still need their brake levers! Brake gear is slightly simplified in the interests of retaining some sanity, and use etched brass vee hangers and safety loops with refined moulded brake shoes and rods. Buffers and axlebox/spring assemblies are 3D prints from Coastline models, sprung buffers are MJT, as are the W-irons. Transfers are from the Welsh Railways Research Circle (Camkits, I think).

I've also built some CM 2-plank dropsides in the same way, but they're even less advanced!

IMG-2211.jpg

Hope that's of interest.

Cheers,

Mark

Very neat painting. My painting of strapping tends to be a bit scruffy. Here's my 3mm/ft 2p fixed side wagons.

Nigelm1020428.jpg.f44d7becf4d7ae5fb65424c0a0d2933f.jpg

Edited by NCB
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Submitted for a livery check before final touching-up and matt varnish:

1033972582_Cambrian2plankand4plankopensletteredandnumbered.JPG.560b96f4c077b369bbf928fad3d35cdd.JPG

The missing inner V-hangers have been added, cut from green 20 thou plasticard.

Transfers are the CamKits ones supplied through the WRRC - sheet TW4.1 for the large CAM )!( RYS lettering and sheet TW4.2 for the load, tare, and numbers. Thanks to the list supplied by @ChrisN, I'm well up on numbering! Sheet TW4.2 includes numbers for both types, including many in the 23xx series, which were wagons built by Pickering in 1902, per the photos in the HMRS collection:

ACP127_small_image.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue image of HMRS photo ACP127.]

ACP125_small_image.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue image of HMRS photo ACP125.]

These wagons would have been brand new at my modelling date, so I've wound back a few years to the wagons built by Ashbury in 1897, reasoning that these would have similarly "modern" brake gear. So I've numbered the 4-plank wagon 2123, the first of the Ashbury lot (rearranging the supplied number 2312) and the 2-plank wagon 2176 (rearranging 1762). Ashbury must have supplied these wagons in the unlettered style - perhaps not as dark a grey when new as I've depicted but I've noted Simon @Regularity's comment that the older livery should be more weathered. Although only five years old at my modelling date, I've supposed the 2-plank wagon has had a repaint - perhaps when it was in for an overhaul at which it got the packing blocks for the buffer guides. I do have a nagging doubt that these are an anachronism for 1902 - if so, I'll say they're experimental!

The position of the numbers are according to the livery information in Cambrian's 2-plank instruction sheet.

Edited by Compound2632
typo.
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1