Many, many moons ago now, I had a rather successful layout called Wingetts recycling. It was the seven day model railroad http://7daymodelrailroad.blogspot.com you’ll have to scroll all the way to the first post to get the flavor of the project. http://7daymodelrailroad.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-did-i-get-here.html  

Damn, but that was a good layout. So very popular hereabouts. I really missed it once I had scrapped it for my British Oak APA box layout.

In the intervening years since those projects, I have gained a circle of  friends who model in Proto 48 US 1/4” O scale finescale.  Over the last couple of weeks I have weakened and have been working towards starting a P:48 layout that will probably be a scrapyard. You can take a look a https://protocrastinator.blogspot.com and get a feel for what has happened over the past few weeks. 

48A4802D-E367-4829-946F-1D8FEDFE2FFB.jpeg

Edited by Ian Holmes
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

Love scrapyards. Modelled one myself many years ago, inspired by "Allied Marine", which i saw in the "Railway Modeller", i forget the year. Mine had only 2 sidings, for scrap wagons in and cut pieces out. And it was dirty, buried rails, weeds, tyre tracks, cranes and a little Playcraft, North British diesel shunter. I put a mirror at the end of one of the sidings so it seemed like it continued on across a road, with an old gate laying to the side. Fooled the wife into thinking i had "knocked through", much like your first photo! Watching with interest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 33C said:

Love scrapyards. Modelled one myself many years ago, inspired by "Allied Marine", which i saw in the "Railway Modeller", i forget the year. Mine had only 2 sidings, for scrap wagons in and cut pieces out. And it was dirty, buried rails, weeds, tyre tracks, cranes and a little Playcraft, North British diesel shunter. I put a mirror at the end of one of the sidings so it seemed like it continued on across a road, with an old gate laying to the side. Fooled the wife into thinking i had "knocked through", much like your first photo! Watching with interest.

Ah yes, Allied Marine,

one of my favourite layouts from way back when. 

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

Ah yes, Allied Marine,

one of my favourite layouts from way back when. 

Ian

Allied Marine was one of my favourites too. November 1978 was when it appeared in Railway Modeller.

I look forward to seeing what your P48 scrapyard looks like.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

There were two RM articles on Allied Marine; one the 'overall' layout description and a later one that was a close-up look at some of the details. I will dig out my scrapbook of treasured articles & find the dates, but yes 1978 I'm sure.

Looking forward to this layout, Ian, especially in P48!! 👍👍

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

On 03/06/2022 at 18:34, F-UnitMad said:

There were two RM articles on Allied Marine; one the 'overall' layout description and a later one that was a close-up look at some of the details. I will dig out my scrapbook of treasured articles & find the dates, but yes 1978 I'm sure.

Looking forward to this layout, Ian, especially in P48!! 👍👍

Pretty sure the layout was in November 1978. If I recall correctly '78 was also the year of Roy C Link's seminal "The Art of Compromise" Article.

Ian

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Ian Holmes said:

Pretty sure the layout was in November 1978. If I recall correctly '78 was also the year of Roy C Link's seminal "The Art of Compromise" Article.

Ian

That was in the October 1978 issue, revisited by Chris Ford in October 2018 issue.

I have just realised the November 1978 issue was the first RM I ever bought, probably why Allied Marine made such an impact on me.

• Like 1

I'd forgotten about this thread. Must look out those articles. 

Edit:- I can confirm - the first article was in the Nov 78 RM, describing the layout as a whole. The 'details' article was in the March 79 RM. 👍

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Round of applause 1