Hi all, currently planning a modified version of the Rev. Awdrys Ffarquhar Mk. II. I have the space for that of a 5’ (give a few inches) by 1’ 9” layout (width is non negotiable as the cut of wood I have)

Turning to RMweb for help with a track plan. Quite the novice to this, but eager to learn. 

See here a plan done for a replica version of the original Mk. II:

192DFF8B-357D-4FBD-A366-F6D1178535BC.jpeg.b300648abd0cd896a54cf1029073b74b.jpeg

And a suggested revised version which I lean towards more:

308BD637-F066-4A13-A757-D4AF28D60487.jpeg.aaace7df14746b91fd7acfdbb9553bf1.jpeg

Both images from a discussion thread on: https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=52950

I also find this post to be of particular interest:

Thanks, 

Dom

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The obvious is it looks to be an exhibition style track plan designed with operation from the back (top edge of plans) viewing from the front as the intention. If the thick black line is a wall, then you can’t operate it that way round. In particular the swinging sector plate would be difficult.

Edited by john new
Typo correction
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, john new said:

The obvious is it looks to be an exhibition style track plan designed with operation from the back (top edge of plans) viewing from the front as the intention. If the thick black line is a wall, then you can’t operate it that way round. In particular the swinging sector plate would be difficult.

Thanks for the reply,

I do appreciate the exhibition style, however in reality I do not know if that will work with the space I have. Considering the back will be against a wall it may not be the best. 

I wanted to create something akin to the lower track plan while still having some room for some kind of fiddle yard within the 5ft.

I’ve considered cartridges over the sector plate. 

• Like 1

Track Plans!

Rough ideas of a final track plan. Each square is about 1ft x 1ft. Upper section is 1ft x 9 in. The fiddle yard will allow for cartridges of about 13 in. Scraped the behind exhibition style as it doesn’t work with the space, and the moving sector plate is going to cause annoyance. Hence a cutaway to allow easier access to those elements. I think 13in should be fine for light branchline traffic. 

D29F67CD-139F-45E1-BDAD-E7146288887F.jpeg.5e46c6149ce4da5ce72e3d9264aa582a.jpeg

Not perfectly to scale but gives a rough idea. And the plan allows a nice mix of operation. 

Edited by splodgestudios
  • Like 3

Why not have a solid 5ft x 1ft9 board, then do away with the point at the LH end of the run round loop, and connect the 2 ends of the run round loop with a slightly longer sector plate. You could also extend the LH siding into a semi low relief building maybe, concealing the Sector plate.....

Just a thought

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 1

On 03/06/2022 at 04:17, Hesperus said:

Looks good but I think you should carefully measure the rolling stock you intend to use as 13" doesn't seem much if you're running passenger trains.

9 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Why not have a solid 5ft x 1ft9 board, then do away with the point at the LH end of the run round loop, and connect the 2 ends of the run round loop with a slightly longer sector plate. You could also extend the LH siding into a semi low relief building maybe, concealing the Sector plate.....

Just a thought

Both great ideas I’ve had a good think on, especially with discussion in another thread 0E76933A-6BDF-4C29-B13D-C777A05A2A13.jpeg.829d0807de0026287c98feac83c322c1.jpeg

Here’s a revision to the plan. Removing the left point; This plan gives a 20” fiddle yard that’ll either use a two or one track sector. Leaning to the one track on a pivot to serve both lines. For the light traffic I’ll be running I think 20” would be just right, far better than 13” 

Edited by splodgestudios
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Is there a key for all the numbers? I'm guessing 1 is the passenger platform....

Yes there is! Was more for my own memory but it’s as such

1. Station and Platform.

2. Signal Box 

3. Town facade/back scene 

4. Cattle Dock

5. Furling Station of some kind, coal and/or oil tanks

6. Station masters house. My layout differs from what is portrayed in the railway series but I wanted to keep some consistent.

7. Fiddle yard with sector plate.

No particular rhyme or reason to the order, like I said just for memories sake