RMweb

PECO announces its entry into the TT gauge market

whart57

I bought (rather foolishly) a trio of very old Berliner TT Bahnen locos on the e-Site last week.  I've now got round to chipping the first one.  That wasn't difficult but it hasn't been oiled this century so it is still very noisy and a little reluctant at times nose first.  It isn't 100% happy with Peco points- running through well sometimes and sticking at the flangeway on others.  The video gives the idea.

The leading wagon is running as a converter at the moment until some replacement couplings come from Modellbahnshop Lippe in the next week or so.  Then the real fun will begin- fitting them....

Les

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rodshaw said:

Has anybody heard when the Peco TT small radius points will be available?

Nothing other than "soon" from the rep when he visited our local shop recently.  Likewise the TT gauge wagons, even though they've all been advertised in Railway Moddler.  Just keep looking on the website....

Les

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/02/2023 at 23:06, Les1952 said:

The leading wagon is running as a converter at the moment until some replacement couplings come from Modellbahnshop Lippe in the next week or so.  Then the real fun will begin- fitting them....

Let us know how you get on, Les, I will have to do the same!

11 hours ago, Hobby said:

Let us know how you get on, Les, I will have to do the same!

Quite easy.

The existing coupling is held in by a spring which engages in a hook at the inside end.  Push the spring to the side wit a small flat screwdriver and pull the coupler out of the slot. Then just push the new coupling into place.  I'll try to remember to get a couple of photos tomorrow.

Les

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Quite easy.

The existing coupling is held in by a spring which engages in a hook at the inside end.  Push the spring to the side wit a small flat screwdriver and pull the coupler out of the slot. Then just push the new coupling into place.  I'll try to remember to get a couple of photos tomorrow.

Les

With the camera in non-co-operation mode and juggling a head torch with the camera to get some light onto the subject here goes...

353425539_innercoupling.jpg.21a84ae2397478b8a6584cc621ac8071.jpg

This is the back of the BTTB coupling.  This hook goes into the horizontal slot in the bufferbeam.  It then engages with the spring.  Typical that I didn't get the thing the same way up in both pics.

903133743_locospring.jpg.3fe81e66c0492de5a085135fdb570d6c.jpg

Looking into the end of the loco from underneath you can see the end of the spring- looks like a pin.  You can see the end of the coupling with the point of the hook carrying out of sight to the right and the pin is engaged in the coupling.  Pushing this to the side (upwards in this picture) allows you to pull the coupling out from the loco.  The first one was tricky, the second worse as the coupling had broken off at the buffer beam, but the third and fourth one took hardly any time at all.

Looking at the loco, I might have found why it runs better one way than the other- the axle appears a little bent.  Next job is to change the wheelset with one from the V36 I bought for spares..  I'm pretty sure that enormous screw and its twin give access to the wheels and pickups.  I'll dismantle the other one first.........

Les

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

With the camera in non-co-operation mode and juggling a head torch with the camera to get some light onto the subject here goes...

353425539_innercoupling.jpg.21a84ae2397478b8a6584cc621ac8071.jpg

This is the back of the BTTB coupling.  This hook goes into the horizontal slot in the bufferbeam.  It then engages with the spring.  Typical that I didn't get the thing the same way up in both pics.

903133743_locospring.jpg.3fe81e66c0492de5a085135fdb570d6c.jpg

Looking into the end of the loco from underneath you can see the end of the spring- looks like a pin.  You can see the end of the coupling with the point of the hook carrying out of sight to the right and the pin is engaged in the coupling.  Pushing this to the side (upwards in this picture) allows you to pull the coupling out from the loco.  The first one was tricky, the second worse as the coupling had broken off at the buffer beam, but the third and fourth one took hardly any time at all.

Looking at the loco, I might have found why it runs better one way than the other- the axle appears a little bent.  Next job is to change the wheelset with one from the V36 I bought for spares..  I'm pretty sure that enormous screw and its twin give access to the wheels and pickups.  I'll dismantle the other one first.........

Thanks, Les, I replaced some of those couplings with 009 ones when I modeled in 00n3 so have grasped what you are talking about. From what I remember you are right about the screw and it's use, though it's been a while since I messed around with a V36! I used one to make a rough copy of the Welshpool loco Chatenden. It and it's cousin the 0-8-0T chassis are very versatile chassis, and can be converted into 0-6-0s and I even saw one as an 0-4-0! You can also vary the wheel spacings. They are pretty bomb proof as well, so drop out that axle and move the others around!

Edited by Hobby
  • Thanks 1

On 19/02/2023 at 15:33, Les1952 said:

I am not best pleased

I started using Peco points in 1974.  Since then I have purchased and used a few hundred, in N and OO, dead frog, live frog and Unifrog.   In that time I have NEVER had a new point fall apart.

Until now.

Not just one (this left) but a right hand as well.  Twice inside a week.  Using wire in tube, the blade comes off the tie bar when pulling the point- with a lot less umph than a PL10 or PL11 would supply.

20230219_132228.jpg.be21ad780bc5bf5e0206f3ae8bb48dda.jpg

The blade has a tag that passes through the tie bar that is supposed to be bent and grip the underside of the tie bar to keep it firmly in place.  On these two points there isn't enough metal in the tab  for a proper bend to be made so using the point causes the blade to fall apart.

These will be on their way back to Peco on Monday "for forensic investigation" and hopefully refunds or replacements.  

Hornby's points may have horrible dead frogs but they do seem better made overall.

Les

There was a packet from Peco this morning.  The two points returned to me repaired rather than replaced.  There was a note in with them.  

"Dear Mr Richardson.  Our apologies for the delay in returning your turnouts.  On examination we have found an issue with the tiebar, so we have now fitted the new version, strengthened tiebar.  Kind regards..."

Looking at them I can't see a difference between these and the unused one I have of the second batch of four.  Perhaps my second batch have the strengthened tiebar already.  The two survivors of my original four are fixed down.  As the layout is now complete I'll keep these in reserve in case of another failure- though I'm going to be ballasting them when the layout gets re-erected in mid-May, so sod's law says that if those are going to fail they'll wait until then...

I suggest that if anyone else has points that fall apart like those two they return them to Peco for replacement under warranty- I made the mistake of not asking for warranty replacement so got them back repaired.

Les

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Do they have to replace or can they just repair? (I don't know what the law says in this regard!)

The short answer is they have to offer a repair or replacement. the retailer's option which they should do after consultation with the customer, but ultimately it is the retailer's choice.  If that is unsatisfactory, then you can pursue a refund (with return of the item obviously).  It's covered by the Consumer Rights Act (2015).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether this has been posted already but I've just received an email from Rails giving some new products in Peco's TT:120 range... two new buildings, a long crossing and the (long-awaited) small radius points.

Rails' Peco TT:120 range is here (other stockists are available).

Edited by Porfuera
  • Informative/Useful 2

53 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

I'm not sure whether this has been posted already but I've just received an email from Rails giving some new products in Peco's TT:120 range... two new buildings, a long crossing and the (long-awaited) small radius points.

Rails' Peco TT:120 range is here (other stockists are available).

Still no sign of the wagons :(

Luke

2 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Still no sign of the wagons :(

Luke

Given the choice I think I'm happier to see the small-radius points - I was doubtful that these were coming out any time soon and I'm very happy I was wrong on that one. I might be mistaken but IIRC it took Peco years to get their O Gauge set track points to market after they announced them so I'm really pleased to see these points being released so quickly after their initial launch of TT:120.

Also I guess track items make more sense for Peco rather than UK outline rolling stock due to the potentially bigger sales market outside the UK. That said, it will be good to see another manufacturer of UK outline rolling stock join in.

It's also good to see that Peco are looking really serious about TT:120 rather than getting cold feet and just leaving it as it is with only a few items in the range. And on that basis I'm confident they'll be bringing out the wagons pretty soon, especially with their recent splurge of advertising. 

Fingers crossed!

Cheers, Neil.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, osbornsmodels said:

Neil said it will be good to see another manufacturer of UK outline rolling stock join in.well we are only small but getting there with out TT offerings Arch Laser (osbornsmodels.com)

That looks to be quite a comprehensive range - much of interest for the GW modeller especially.  Looks good, Keith.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

What radius are those small Peco points, it doesn't say on the description on the Rails website and they aren't listed on Peco's!

I seem to recall from the launch last year they were thinking about 12” radius?  Could be wrong of course, but I think you may find the answer there / then.  Keith.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, osbornsmodels said:

the new small radius turnout

Length 135mm
Radius 466mm
Frog angle 11.25 degrees

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/sl-u1291-peco-streamline-tt120-code-55-small-radius-turnout-rh-55829-p.asp

other retailers are available obviously

Thank you. I think 466mm = 18.35” so this is useful.

I went back and dug out the TT:120 articles I kept from July ‘22 RM and found where I got the 12” from: in the commentary with the Deane pattern GW Branch Terminus (p.465) the min. rad. was set at 12” with reference to the planned short radius points.  To be fair, it doesn’t actually say the points will use exactly 12” and on page 522 (News) it says the short radius points will be 135mm long (tick) and 323mm rad. (12.7”), so it looks like they’ve gone bigger with the final design.

323mm would equate to 510mm in 1:76 (or 445mm in 1:87, which is close to the Setrack 438mm) so I can see the logic of the initial thinking, but larger points will no doubt look better with the kind of express locos Hornby have kicked off with.

The exit angle of 11.25° is the same as the Peco medium points, so it looks like they’re adopting the same approach as with the OO Streamline range of a common angle - something I’ve always found very helpful when designing layouts.

Only bad news is I don’t need to order any, sorry, as I got the ones I needed in the larger medium radius (I like large points).  Keith.

20 hours ago, osbornsmodels said:

Neil said it will be good to see another manufacturer of UK outline rolling stock join in.well we are only small but getting there with out TT offerings Arch Laser (osbornsmodels.com)

Look nice.  I can see some of these finding a home on Broken Scar.  Any chance of an NER 20 ton wooden hopper?

Les