Brick building at Battledown Flyover

Doolish

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Doolish said:

OK have now found the final evidence in a photo. Comes from the Irwell book Mainline to the West. In the first few pages it shows a 'new' box situated alongside the junction itself. One interesting point here is the additional down track.

1599960958_battlenewbox.thumb.jpg.7703eaadbc756a65392cde1a638df222.jpg

Much later in the book is a chapter on the building of the flyover and in one of the photo's you can just make out a signal box. Interestingly the Southampton Up was still in place.

134921271_Battledownoldbox.jpg.fc0141e7ecf4d095d4c98cabf9af4caa.jpg

Only question left I suppose is why did they move the box - blind spot perhaps) but more importantly why was the old box not totally knocked down. Did the pneumatic signalling come down this far - if so perhaps it was easier to leave the pumping apparatus where it was but controlled from the new box.

Nor being familiar with old signal boxes is it possible to tell what type this is or where I may find drawings of one.

Again many thanks for all the suggestions and am glad we got there in the end.

The pneumatic signalling is always described as "Woking to Basingstoke", which would suggest it didn't reach Battledown.

Looking at the photos, and the date, I'd say it's an LSWR Type 4A - a Type 4, but with windows in all four corners rather than just the front (fairly obviously in this case, as it's between the lines so there is no front!) - plenty of photos and a drawing of a similar one in Pryer's "Signal Boxes of the London & South Western Railway" (Oakwood), and a clearer drawing of a normal type 4 in his "Pictorial Record of Southern Signals" (OPC)