image size error

Andy, is the total amount for images allowed per post still 10mb?

Occassionally I get this error message.

2022-06-15_21-20-40.jpg.33a5d82484c39ee95abcb77324330130.jpg

I was uploading five images, four, 6.14mb in total loaded ok but the fifth image 2.30mb failed to load and produced the above error pop up.

The error code is a bit misleading as I had already uploaded 6.14

Solution was, I just shut down RMweb  then re-opened and tried again, this time it uploaded all five images to the one post ok.

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

I'll test for it but not come across that before.

I have probably only encountered that three or four times in the past, it did occur before the recent server changes and this is the first time since.

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Shameless plug - RMweb Premium does away with the 10Mb limit.

I didn't know that, but does RMweb still reduce the image size/resolution after it has been uploaded by the poster?

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

does RMweb still reduce the image size/resolution after it has been uploaded by the poster?

It does due to the vast majority of people not bothering to resize images and taking up more resources than necessary. However, I have recently increased the size that an image will display at when clicked to 2500px width rather than 1500px.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It does due to the vast majority of people not bothering to resize images and taking up more resources than necessary. However, I have recently increased the size that an image will display at when clicked to 2500px width rather than 1500px.

That is perhaps at bit more than nescessary.  I have found that over the years of using Usenet and these new fangled forums that an image with the long side of 1800px is just about right for a 1920x1080 display without having to scroll to see the whole image. YMMV.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

That is perhaps at bit more than nescessary.

It's intended for more detail being more easily observed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

I have just tried replacing images lost after the upgrade to my Dynamometer rebuild topic. I am replacing the images lost with exactly the same and got as far as loading 9 of the 12 images in the post then got the error:

I'll investigate as that error message doesn't make sense.

Edit; it does now as that's the remaining amount within the upload cap.

Leave that image off, submit the post and then go back to edit again if necessary to add the last one.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

Out of interest I note that the file sizes quoted on the uploaded images seems to be 3 times what my PC reports them as

Realised what it may be doing - I've adjusted a setting if you want to try again please?

Original image uploaded still reporting inflated files sizes but new upload reporting same as PC. Have deleted all the images and reuploaded them so the correct sizes are showing. It let my upload 10 images then I got the error. Tried saving and re-editing but still not letting me add the final 2 NOTE: On re-editing the images are again reporting a larger size:

1021780655_RMwebImages4.jpg.6919aedfe4088032281564b586f79369.jpg

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

Tried saving and re-editing but still not letting me add the final 2 NOTE: On re-editing the images are again reporting a larger size:

Beyond the changes I made you'll have to leave this with to discuss with the software guys to try and understand what it's doing (and where!).

As an experiment I have resized the images to max 1400 and tried attaching them all to this post which seems to have worked although on re-editing they have doubled in size.

I will leave my original post well alone to let your guys look into it.

IMG_6464.JPG

img_6614lino.jpg

IMG_6615.JPG

IMG_6618.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG

IMG_6653.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

IMG_6663.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

Original image uploaded still reporting inflated files sizes but new upload reporting same as PC. Have deleted all the images and reuploaded them so the correct sizes are showing. It let my upload 10 images then I got the error. Tried saving and re-editing but still not letting me add the final 2 NOTE: On re-editing the images are again reporting a larger size:

1021780655_RMwebImages4.jpg.6919aedfe4088032281564b586f79369.jpg

Exactly the same problem here just now. On a fresh new posting, with nothing uploaded, it stated that I was limited to 1.11MB?!?!

I'l leave any further posting for this evening and see whether there's a 'fix' overnight.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, LNER4479 said:

and see whether there's a 'fix' overnight.

Very unlikely Graham but the software company had a bit of a wobble earlier tonight which could be a contributory factor in your specific example. I need to delve deeper into some settings but this weather is not conducive to concentration!

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1