RMweb

Riveted tender??

I have just purchased an old Hornby Compound as a project. Happily it is a very nice runner. The previous owner removed the BRITISH RAILWAYS from the tender rather heavy handedly leaving scratches. My question is :- did all the right hand drive Compounds have riveted tenders? I do have a copy of Locomotives Illustrated number 11, but not always able to make out rivets on the tenders.  My plan is to smooth the whole side of the tender but retain the lining and refix BRITISH RAILWAYS. Many thanks for any info. 

• Like 1

I think that Hornby just used the black, Patriot tender that was already in the range. I have both and it doesn't look great on the compound. May be better to acquire the longer tender and respray that. Most images I have seen, show that type in the BR black and no rivets. You could, for devilment,  paint it like the "Daily Mirror" excursion loco!  🤓

Edited by 33C
Missing letter.
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I just pm'd the tender information for the compounds from the pages of the LMS locomotive Profiles #13 book. Several different tenders including Deeley, hybrid versions and Fowler both flush and snap head rivetted. several pics showing smooth sided tenders in BR livery in the book. 

Edited by ianLMS
  • Thanks 1