Couplings for Hornby Ruston shunter - Front and Rear?

latestarter

The rod connecting my Hornby Ruston shunter to the flatbed wagon broke, so I've been running it without it. I'd like to try and couple wagons to the back and possibly the front of the loco, but can't see where couplers would attach.

Can anyone advise how to do this and if the hooks on the front and rear of the loco can be used for couplers, or are they just decoration?

Thanks for any assistance.

20220617_170401.jpg

20220617_170707.jpg

8 hours ago, latestarter said:

The rod connecting my Hornby Ruston shunter to the flatbed wagon broke, so I've been running it without it. I'd like to try and couple wagons to the back and possibly the front of the loco, but can't see where couplers would attach.

Can anyone advise how to do this and if the hooks on the front and rear of the loco can be used for couplers, or are they just decoration?

Mine currently are. Must admit it's not one I use often as it was bought for an industrial layout that's not built yet. But I have ran it around with a handful of wagons. ISTR I did need to slightly enlarge the slots though. I think I just used a bit of emery paper. I'll eventually fit proper coupling hooks from someone like Smiths at some point.

It's definitely designed for fitting tension lock couplings though, as there are three in the little packet in the box. As well as the other bufferbeam infill plate for those using scale couplings.

For removing the wagon I think you first needed to carefully disconnect the electric socket at the wagon end, then do the same at the loco end. Especially if you might want to put them back at some point. Then I think I had to remove the loco body to get at the rod that connects the wagon to the loco. Then I think the tension lock coupling fits into the place where the rod was.

I know you have virtually got to that point already.

Might be a bit more clearly described here.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

IIRC at least at the front there is a plug in the bufferbeam you can remove to reveal a socket for a coupling.

Thanks. I'm not sure what IIRC means, and would I be right to assume it's small red rectangle at the front?

9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Mine currently are. Must admit it's not one I use often as it was bought for an industrial layout that's not built yet. But I have ran it around with a handful of wagons. ISTR I did need to slightly enlarge the slots though. I think I just used a bit of emery paper. I'll eventually fit proper coupling hooks from someone like Smiths at some point.

It's definitely designed for fitting tension lock couplings though, as there are three in the little packet in the box. As well as the other bufferbeam infill plate for those using scale couplings.

For removing the wagon I think you first needed to carefully disconnect the electric socket at the wagon end, then do the same at the loco end. Especially if you might want to put them back at some point. Then I think I had to remove the loco body to get at the rod that connects the wagon to the loco. Then I think the tension lock coupling fits into the place where the rod was.

I know you have virtually got to that point already.

Might be a bit more clearly described here.

Jason

Thanks for all the advice Jason. I'll look in the box to see if the couplings are there, when I'm back home. Not sure what ISTR is - abbreviations are definitely not my thing. Could be from teaching under-graduates to write essays with proper English :)

The rod connecting the wagon broke away a few months ago, and I removed it. I asked Hornby for a replacement, but they (eventually) sent me the connecting wires instead, which were not damaged in the first place.

BTW (my only abbreviation), I know Southport very well. I'm originally from Prescot, but now live in another 'port', Portmagee, in South Kerry, Ireland.