GPO - General Parcel Operations

I have yet another project on the go, I am a habitual layout builder haha.

I recently made a big decision, which was the take the backscenes off my 8x2 layout and store the boards in the loft until I feel a need to go back to it.

This left me with 8ft of 9mm ply in a pair of 4ft sheets and 2 pieces of 2ft from the ends.

I have had the inspiration from another layout to build a parcels depot, as if royal mail/RES didnt loose a load of trade in the early 90s and go mostly road.

The layout is 4ft long (just fits into the micro category) and goes from 12 inch to 18 inch at the other end, this is something I have never done before and thought i'd give it a shot as it opens up a different style of layout.

IMG_20220619_182922.thumb.jpg.ed8289ef0bdc80d5e9fdebef3136e348.jpg

I'm a bit of a cheap fella so I didnt want to go and buy loads of timber for the build, with that in mind I ran out of 2x1 so I had to come up with a different framing method for the boards.

IMG_20220619_183634.thumb.jpg.11ed3ffa0d27dc377252307e1ec70b9b.jpg

I opted to use the ply I had as the frame, and just use whatever 2x1 I had to hand to support it as much as I could, the board sits 100mm off the floor which is plenty of space for what I need.

I have yet to finish the ends of the boards, these are todays things to do.

I have track, but no points currently, just 1 which isnt right, the point is on order, it'll just be a single point layout with 3 sidings, the fiddle yard is undetermined at the moment, but it will come onto the scenic board with 2 tracks, which goes into 1 point to have the front 2 sidings, and the rear will come off the fiddle yard as one straight bit of track.

IMG_20220619_185603.thumb.jpg.e4c9294ef796c405989eb37ab8eaf18d.jpg

The point on the boards here is just for show, as I want the front tracks to come off a left hand rather than a right hand point, the exact setup of the track is still to be determined, probably wing it.

I have a skytrex resin bridge kit which I will be using to represent a bridge over the tracks, rail or road I'm not sure, I may not even model it beyond low relief.

The back of the layout will be the unloading facility itself, mainly a warehouse style building, with unloading platforms big enough for a pair of mk1 coaches, I will probably have to scratch build most of the buildings, as nothing out there fits what I need.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

Hi,

A great-looking start. I look forward to seeing more as it progresses.

Neil.

Thank you

I went into a blind panic thinking all I had left was 1 piece of flexi, until I found the 2nd box under my desk, phew.

• Funny 1

I spent a bit of time mocking out the track plan today.

IMG_20220620_171249.thumb.jpg.c5aba3ec6b0ed829776010e4c4e60589.jpg

The coaches and 37 are just for gauging the sidings lengths, the longest train I would have on here is a 37 and a pair of mk1 coaches, so this works for gauging lengths.

The rear line where the stock is parked is the parcel depot proper, the middle line is release/storage, the front one is for loco stabling or random stock to be dumped.

The middle line will extend to the end of the board, but not be in use beyond where the old tape mark is on the board, it will go though a disused level crossing, the front track I may angle further to allow for more use of the middle for longer stock and same for the front one.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2022 at 19:22, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Looks Familiar!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

2016-02-25 19.36.52.jpg

20160226_095855.jpg

2 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Cheers mate

Its EM gauge and, all things being equal, will be at Bingham and York next year.....

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Is it "finished" (pardon my language} yet?

Mike.