Signal Identification Plates.

Hi All,

I am building a layout based on the Sheerness branchline during the transition period of 1959 when electrification was introduced. I am about to order some coloured signals and would like to know the correct numbers for that period. A very knowledgeable source informs me that the EV prefix is correct but the numbers may have been different back then.

I'm looking for the correct codes for Sheerness-on-Sea platforms 1 and 2 and the Home signal that is approx 200 yards outside the station. Platform 1 currently displays   EV  but It's highly likely that this was not the original number at the introduction of electric. This is probably going to be a minefield but any thoughts please.                                                                                                                                                                            846

Paul_C                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

• RMweb Gold

The signalling diagram, showing the 1959 alterations was posted on here some while ago. A quick searsch seems to show the images were lost along with everything else, unfortunately.

I did have a copy of the same notice. I will see if I can find it and try and post it.

Seek and you shall find .........696833817_Sheernesssignallingdiagram1961.thumb.jpg.27292466b91d47e03cc31b7694df25a7.jpg

As has been said "EV" was the code for Sittingbourne panel box which controlled the whole of the Sheerness branch bar the actual bridge controls for the Kingsferry Bridge (which were released from Sittingbourne). Don't forget that the enamelled signal number plates were Southern Railway style using a condensed font in black on a white background.

The numbering of the platforms is most unusual. The Southern Railway almost universally numbered platforms from left to right when viewed from the concourse, often to the extent of renumbering the platforms where they inherited the contrary arrangement (as here) at the grouping.

Edited by bécasse
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you all for your swift responses, very impressive. I do have a full set of track plans that I bought from the NRM in York some years ago when I had a "day out". I decided to splash out and had them printed and laminated (A2 size) from the disc so I dare say that all this information will be on there.

I haven't viewed them for a while as they were packed away (with everything else) two years ago when the builders came in to add a dormer to the rear of the loft. The big disadvantage I have is that I do not understand all of the abbreviations and terminology like you experts and ex-railwaymen 😀

Paul.

All the information that you need is on the diagram.

However the specific answers you seem to require are:

Approach signal EV84 (I am not at all sure that it was 200 yards out then): 2-aspect G/R + floodlit calling-on disc + route indicator displaying 1 or 2, all on gantry + floodlit dolly on gantry support along with rule 55 exemption plate

Repeater for approach signal EV84R: 2-aspect G/Y

Departure signal platform 1 EV73: 3-aspect G/Y/R with rule 55 exemption plate on post

Departure signal platform 2 EV71: 3-aspect G/Y/R with rule 55 exemption plate on post