Mini drill recommendations please!

My existing Rotacraft mini drill requires replacing and I would be interested to hear recommendations from fellow forum users as to which product they consider to be the best buy.  My drill is used almost exclusively for loco and stock building and the only criterion I have is that it must be capable of holding small drill bits. I had to purchase a separate chuck for my existing drill to enable it to cope with smaller size drills. I have an open mind as to the replacement and  I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest . Your views are welcomed!

Barry 

• RMweb Premium

I have found that a drill chuck is needed to hold small drills, down to 0.3, as the simple collet type just aren’t capable of holding them whatever drill you use, mini or hand.

Bob

• Agree 3

I have found that cheap china ones are OK for the wire brush etc but the bearing is no good for drilling anything small. lasts about 5 years.

Dremel is good for everything.  I have two, one in a drill press and one I use for hand drilling/grinding etc.  For hobby use will almost last almost a lifetime.  Small drill bits are best  in collets get a set or use stepped 1/8" drills.  Chucks have off center problems okay for big drills over say 0.3 mm. eg I only mark the verticals when doing coach sides, then running the coach down an edge, handles come out perfect when you look down the coach.    With a cheap drill you may have to center pop all the holes to get them in line.

Proxxon last forever not just hobby but for professional full time use.  Can also be used for milling.  Probably the best bearing set.

I have 2 drills,  I use one for sanding and large side forces and a better one just for repression drilling.

So you pays your money as they say.

Hope this helps

I have had, over the years three Dremel which may say something about their build quality. I have also had several cheaper copies including one that came with a flexi drive kit and stand for less than half the Dremel price. Last birthday I received an unexpected new Dremel and realised why they are so well liked. It is much smoother, controllable and safer than the cheap look a likes. It is back to first choice weapon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Dremel for me - 13 years & counting for mine, which also has acquired a lot of air miles & sea time as it comes with me to be used on my modelling projects during my free time during voyages...

At home, I have its accompanying vertical drill stand, flexible drive & lots of accessories 😎

• Like 2

Thanks for the recommendations folks. I am currently looking at the Proxxon range but as is often the case these days there is no one to ask about specific items. Which drill and power unit would other Proxxon users recommend? The FBS 12/E seems closest to what I need but there are a number of different models and I find it difficult to make a choice!

Barry

• RMweb Gold

I have the FBS240/E with a stand to turn it into a pillar drill and i really cannot fault the quality. Cheaper mini drills can vibrate quite badly but the Proxxon is super smooth and fairly quiet especially on the lower speed settings. I also have the flexi attachment which comes in handy for tighter spaces.