One Stop Shopping? Any suggestions?

iL Dottore

Firstly, I hope that this is is the right place? (I'm not sure though).

Unfortunately as I live in Switzerland and don't have a UK chequeing account, I can't directly buy from many of the small "cottage industry" suppliers, so I am dependent upon a central supplier. The company I used extensively to supply me with nearly all my modelling needs (except RTR), Mainly Trains, has significantly scaled back on stock carried (I believe the owner is taking - after 25 years of great service - a well-earned [semi-?] retirement). This means for me - modelling ex-UK - I no longer have a "one-stop shopping" supplier to rely on.

Of course there are numerous excellent model shops, including RMWEb sponsors, which I do use. But unfortunately it also means that if I want a mixture of paint, etched items, white metal items, plastic and metal bits and pieces - I have to place several small orders in different places which incurs multiples of non-modelling material costs (P&P, credit card charge, import tax).

Can anyone recommend a supplier similar in scope and stock to Mainly Trains that:

• Takes credit cards (but without a PayPal account)
  • Exports
  • Can reclaim VAT (although this is more of a "nice-to-have" than a necessity)

The aim is to reduce the number of suppliers ordered from in one go to one, or at maximum two.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks

F

• RMweb Gold

I don't think there is such a thing any more. Mainly Trains was unique and I can't see anyone rushing to fill the void. Having tried to set up a similar thing for model buses many years ago I can vouch for the fact that it is a whole lot of hassle for not much return.

Perhaps this is where RMweb could help by setting up a 'clearing house'. Overseas orders are forwarded to a UK member who orders the bits from the various small suppliers. Hopefully the UK postal charges could be split amongst a number of orders. Once the whole shipment is ready it is then sent on to overseas member.

There would need to be a method of payment - possibly PayPal (sorry) or bank transfer, and you couldn't reclaim the VAT unless one of the trader members could be persuaded to offer the service via their business.

Just a thought.

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone recommend a supplier similar in scope and stock to Mainly Trains that:

• Takes credit cards (but without a PayPal account)
  • Exports
  • Can reclaim VAT (although this is more of a "nice-to-have" than a necessity)

The aim is to reduce the number of suppliers ordered from in one go to one, or at maximum two.

No experience as a customer, but these people might be a starting point.

http://www.nairnshire-modelling-supplies.co.uk/

They say they take Credit Cards through Paypal - but you don't need an account.

HTH.

Guest dilbert

I also found that Mainly Trains was an excellent source for all those small items etc ...

For general items such as Evergreen plastics, glues and tools etc..., I now get these 'locally'.

I find that when placing orders on the smaller suppliers for bit's 'n pieces I will order on quantities that are larger than required and 'guestimate' potential future requirements according to planned announcements regarding new releases and kits.

It's not failsafe because there will always something that is lacking (or you try your hand at scratchbuilding), but this does restrict items missing to a minimum - just a question of reprioritisation of projects before you place another order.

Another approach is to travel to the UK to one of the big events and preorder from vendors (who hopefully will be trading at a show) for delivery pick-up at a show - it's not entirely a satisfactory solution for 'one-stop' shopping.

With Internet online trading reaching a far wider audience, I don't think the possiblities of a single source covering multiple small vendors will happen...dilbert

Archived