Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Recommendations for a 7mm 'O' Gauge Shunting Plank Track Plan

Art Dent

Hi folks,

Can anyone point me in the direction of some track plans for a simple 7mm end-to-end shunting plank with a single (possibly double) straight-through track?

Ideally a varied selection to give me some ideas.

Possibly 2 x 5-foot boards plus fiddle yard at one or both ends (maybe a traverser arrangement).

I'd like some variation in elevation, maybe a bridge over a canal/river or an embankment - possibly something like Bakewell Street

I'd also like to include a timber yard for interest (lived next to a rail-based timber yard when I was a lad)

Thanks in advance.

Art

Edited by Art Dent
  • Like 3

• Art Dent changed the title to Recommendations for a 7mm 'O' Gauge Shunting Plank Track Plan

I'd agree with looking at Ian Futers plans, he's done quite a few simple plans in 7mm that I'm sure could be adapted for through running. 

I based my latest layout, Docklands Sidings, albeit in 4mm, on one of his plans. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/06/2022 at 21:43, Art Dent said:

Hi folks,

Can anyone point me in the direction of some track plans for a simple 7mm end-to-end shunting plank with a single (possibly double) straight-through track?

Possibly 2 x 5-foot boards plus fiddle yard at one or both ends (maybe a traverser arrangement).

I'd like some variation in elevation, maybe a bridge over a canal/river or an embankment - possibly something like Bakewell Street

I'd also like to include a timber yard for interest (lived next to a rail-based timber yard when I was a lad)

Thanks in advance.

Art

Thanks for that link to my layout - As photos are lost I've just updated with a link to my Flickr album.

In terms of the track plan many layouts get extended during their lives but BS has been shortened. When the layout was originally conceived, I had a cassette fiddle yard at the signal box end and an off-stage sector plate run round at the yard end. In use at shows it became clear that we tended to shunt the yard but not really use the sector plate so recently we have been using the layout as an Inglenook shunting puzzle with cards for each wagon randomly selected. It works well, keeps us interested in operation at shows and often leads to significant audience participation. It also means the layout is shorter and needs fewer bits taken to shows (or forgotten). A small mirror has been installed in place of the sector plate exit.

Chris Hopper

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I am assuming that Ian Futers is on RM Web?

I'll do a member search for him in the meantime.

I was looking forward to seeing Bakewell Street at the cancelled show in 2020.

Any plans to exhibit Bakewell Street in the near future Chris?

Art

3 hours ago, Art Dent said:

I am assuming that Ian Futers is on RM Web?

Not that I'm aware of, in fact I don't think he has much of an Internet 'presence' anywhere, really.

But he is very well known - since the 1970s at least - in the model railway press & exhibition circuit as a builder of small(ish) layouts with great operating potential, often Scottish themed. Google will find you stuff of his.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Not that I'm aware of, in fact I don't think he has much of an Internet 'presence' anywhere, really.

But he is very well known - since the 1970s at least - in the model railway press & exhibition circuit as a builder of small(ish) layouts with great operating potential, often Scottish themed. Google will find you stuff of his.

Thanks.

Now off to see what an internet trawl can come up with.

Art

On 27/06/2022 at 21:43, Art Dent said:

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.

Art

Maybe too small for you but Peasevern Yard is great fun to operate and the track plan could be adapted to double track. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Art Dent said:

Any plans to exhibit Bakewell Street in the near future Chris?

Art

I did have a pre-Covid invite to DEMU 2020 but nothing has materialised since and I know exhibition managers have had much to do so I've not followed up. I'm due to be at Exmoor Rail in 2023 so I'll be keeping everything tidy. I'd be happy to get it on the road a bit more as my 7mm diesels don't get much action.

Chris

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Art Dent said:

The Gauge-O Guild has a 1mth "free trial" so I've been d/loading several back issues of the Gazette for some inspiration.

As you are now a member, have a look at the publications pages as they have three volumes of "Small Layouts" in the Guild Shop - it looks like Vol 1 is available as a free download.

1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

As you are now a member, have a look at the publications pages as they have three volumes of "Small Layouts" in the Guild Shop - it looks like Vol 1 is available as a free download.

Thanks Mike.

I have already found these and saw that Vol. 1 was "free".  Despite there being a 'download' button, it appears that GOG are going to post a copy!  The download link didn't appear to work.

Volume 2 & 3 are hopefully on the way!

Art

UPDATE:

I found the download link for Volume 1 - it was in the order confirmation email!

Edited by Art Dent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a plan of the original P4 Lochside. It's well worth getting hold of this issue of RM just for this article.

The 7mm version was very similar with one extra small siding.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 4

Surfing the internet (as you do), I found this website.

Okay, it is mainly for American HO-scale but no doubt some track plans can be altered/adapted to suit UK O-Gauge.

Journal of Model Railroad Design - Layout Designs

10 plans per page and at least 17 pages

Hope this is of some help tp others.

Art

Edited by Art Dent
Splelling mistak!
  • Informative/Useful 1