Updating generic matchbox etc vehicles.

Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this question has been answered, but I couldn't easily find a reference to it.

Those of you who upgrade the above, where do you get your wheels especially, and other bits and bobs such as flush glazing from?

I've got a few Matchbox vehicles, cars, vans and trucks, which I am having a go at, but the main visual issue is the (undersized?) wheels with their crimped axle ends which I would like to improve.

Is there a supplier I'm unaware of?

Mike.

• Like 2

Google "Steve Flowers" model spares. He has an extensive range of wheels, tyres, glazing and transfers etc ( for a lot of diecast manufacturers ) to restore to as new condition. BTS Mouldings may be worth a look...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll second that, Cararama wheels are very useful. Some of them represent modern alloys which may not be suitable but those from the Porsche and VW Beetle are quite generic and useful for a number of older vehicles. As for glazing, for those models which came without glazing, Deluxe Materials Glue-n-Glaze is ideal.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Apologies if this question has been answered, but I couldn't easily find a reference to it.

Those of you who upgrade the above, where do you get your wheels especially, and other bits and bobs such as flush glazing from?

I've got a few Matchbox vehicles, cars, vans and trucks, which I am having a go at, but the main visual issue is the (undersized?) wheels with their crimped axle ends which I would like to improve.

Is there a supplier I'm unaware of?

Mike.

If you are looking at 1.76 models try either Langley Models or Road Transport Images. You may find something suitable.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For curved windscreens, look at sections of the clear blister packs that lots of items come in - tubes of glue blister packed on a card are very useful, their tapering shape often giving just the right profile. Fix them in place with Glue-n-glaze or similar. Clear plastic bottles can also provide useful sections, particularly in larger scales.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If you are feeling really brave, for the flat windows, try trimming microscope cover slides using a diamond or carbide scribe and diamond files, attaching them using glue n glaze. Warning!!! A massive amount of patience is required as it is very fiddly and time consuming but results can be worth the effort! Fix from the outside so they are fairly flush.

Curved windows though would be a challenge with real glass, if not impossible!!!

Attached pic is a bus i built but the model is basically the same as what Corgi and Matchbox would put out in diecast. Micrscope slides were used for the glass.

Ian

20220620_113556.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

For really small flat glass windows cover the window aperture with a post-it note (the sticky bit) then rub it with a soft pencil to transfer a replica of the aperture onto the post-it. This makes a template that can be applied to the glazing material to be cut out.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

The Matchbox J2 pickup is close to or actually 1/76 scale. Compared with the Oxford J2 van the front end is identical so it might be possible to use the glazing and windscreen from the Oxford model.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 29/06/2022 at 23:03, fodenway said:

For curved windscreens, look at sections of the clear blister packs that lots of items come in - tubes of glue blister packed on a card are very useful, their tapering shape often giving just the right profile. Fix them in place with Glue-n-glaze or similar. Clear plastic bottles can also provide useful sections, particularly in larger scales.

The large boxes of Ferrero Rocher are particularly useful...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

One to look out for if you want a small crane is the Iron Fairy crane, here's one from the Keir Hardy EM layouts page. Someone has taken the time to add the cage, mirrors and light guards, plenty of "no box" buys on Ebay for less than a tenner.

morfa_4207 (1).jpg

morfa_garage02.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/09/2022 at 13:30, w124bob said:

One to look out for if you want a small crane is the Iron Fairy crane, here's one from the Keir Hardy EM layouts page. Someone has taken the time to add the cage, mirrors and light guards, plenty of "no box" buys on Ebay for less than a tenner.

morfa_4207 (1).jpg

morfa_garage02.jpg

It’s a good model and I’ve had a few over the years.

Now we’re spoiled by the Oxford etc ranges it’s a dying art to source and improve toys and other sources. 

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2022 at 14:30, w124bob said:

morfa_4207 (1).jpg

morfa_garage02.jpg

After seeing Hywels model, I took dozens of pictures of the one at Butterley, but that was a few computers ago, and they could be anywhere!

Mike.