Class 47 TTS tyre issues

125_driver

I've had numerous problems with class 47 TTS engines with the traction tyres wearing out quickly. 

My question is where can I find the details on which type of tyre to buy from spares? Had a look on ebay but nothing stands out as for TTS 47s.... any advice appreciated..thanks. 

Depending on what you want the locos to haul and whether you have gradients, you could consider replacing the wheels with non-tyre fitted ones. I’ve done this on most of the models I have and they still have reasonable haulage on level track - 4 Mk3s and 3 Mk2s on a sleeper rake is the heaviest train I use with them, I think.

8 minutes ago, Going Spare said:

RAF96

Often, yes - but the problem here is the Service Sheets (309 to 309F) for the Railroad 47 make no reference to tyres.

If I remember correctly, the Hornby 47 is similar to the old Lima chassis, so some Lima traction tyres my well fit.

2 minutes ago, Going Spare said:

It is based upon the Lima model but the chassis and drive unit were re-engineered by Hornby and the tyres are of the standard - albeit small - squarer cross-section rather than Lima's thin 'tap washers'.

In which case, the traction tyres are probably the same as many other Hornby mechanisms, and should be pretty easy to get hold of.

That is the pack that has been specified by Hornby for the ex-Lima class 47 since it was introduced.  The tyres have to be stretched over the flanges to then sit tightly in the grooves.  I would check with your supplier that you have been sent the correct tyres and, if you are still uncertain, with Hornby Customer Services to see whether there has been any unpublicised change to the specification for your particular model.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've  uploaded a photo to demonstrate my conundrum , the tyre bottom left has come off a Hornby  47 tts loco. The one next to it and in the packet are the ones that Hornby say should be used as spares for tts 47s. As you can see there is a massive size difference. There is also a  big difference in thickness. I tried the smaller tyres on the loco but with these it couldn't even pull 3 carriages round a corner and the tyres are so small they early don't correctly fit the groove in the wheel. 

20220723_131335.jpg.c7501197fb15a7babbc8368f1b20709c.jpg

Edited by 125_driver

I agree these do not appear to be the before & after for the same tyre.  If you bought the new tyres from Hornby or one of their Service Dealers and have had the loco from new and therefore know the tyres were factory fitted, as I said before speak with Hornby Customer Services for their guidance.  (The bottom righthand tyre still in the bag looks to be larger than the others?)

2 hours ago, Going Spare said:

I agree these do not appear to be the before & after for the same tyre.  If you bought the new tyres from Hornby or one of their Service Dealers and have had the loco from new and therefore know the tyres were factory fitted, as I said before speak with Hornby Customer Services for their guidance.  (The bottom righthand tyre still in the bag looks to be larger than the others?)

They are all the same size in the packet its just a trick of the camera I think. I think I will contact Hornby directly then and see of they can supply or advise. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So it transpires from Hornby that the tyres in question are not available to buy, they are however happy to provide me some spares.

So my question is, how can I avoid this happening in future  as I've improved my model 47s alot and don't want to see a time when they all have to be parked up!

4 different locos , all purchased at same time have all come unstuck with this problem (the tyre just wearing away and crumbling off) so what is it that I'm doing that could be causing this? 

If its relevant, they generally pull 7 mk2 coaches on relatively flat gradients.....

Edited by 125_driver

I would take up Hornby's offer to supply a few spares, even if only to confirm what you purchased as replacements are correct.  As you make no mention of it in your latest post, I am assuming Hornby made no comment as to whether X9722 is still the correct pack?

4 hours ago, Going Spare said:

I would take up Hornby's offer to supply a few spares, even if only to confirm what you purchased as replacements are correct.  As you make no mention of it in your latest post, I am assuming Hornby made no comment as to whether X9722 is still the correct pack?

The assumption is that it isn't the correct pack as Hornby say it is unavailable to buy so the fact I bought pack x9722 suggests this pack wasn't correct. As I said earlier, the tyres in it where much too small and when fitted to the wheel were lost inside the groove to a point where the tyre was barely touching the track. 

It sounds like your class 47 has the original wheels, X9665. These had the wider tyre. The newer version, X9665M, is the one that takes the narrower tyre. It looks like when the wheels were modified, the tyre size was changed. The X9722 produced now will all be to fit the M wheels, so you might be better off trying to find a set of X9665, and replacing the whole wheels.

Not so.  X9665 was the pack number for the wheelsets with plain treads (no grooves at all), which was fairly quickly replaced (across all the ex-Lima models) when it was found that the wheels slipped far too easily.  X9665M is, to my knowledge, the only pack issued with grooved wheelsets for the ex-Lima 47, taking tyres in pack X9722 (the smaller diameter tyres for the 73, DMUs, etc., being in pack X9721).  Unfortunately, this is one of many models for which Hornby have yet to get around to updating the Service Sheet, hence my earlier suggestion that Hornby be asked to confirm that those are indeed still the correct tyres. 

44 minutes ago, Going Spare said:

Not so.  X9665 was the pack number for the wheelsets with plain treads (no grooves at all), which was fairly quickly replaced (across all the ex-Lima models) when it was found that the wheels slipped far too easily.  X9665M is, to my knowledge, the only pack issued with grooved wheelsets for the ex-Lima 47, taking tyres in pack X9722 (the smaller diameter tyres for the 73, DMUs, etc., being in pack X9721).  Unfortunately, this is one of many models for which Hornby have yet to get around to updating the Service Sheet, hence my earlier suggestion that Hornby be asked to confirm that those are indeed still the correct tyres. 

That's interesting, because I have just opened the pack of X9665 I have here, and removed one of the tyres to reveal a wheel with a definite groove in it......IMG_20220804_120833.jpg.e92c973b5c79c610a0b058a132b21d89.jpg

Edited by Fireline

34 minutes ago, Fireline said:

That's interesting, because I have just opened the pack of X9665 I have here, and removed one of the tyres to reveal a wheel with a definite groove in it......IMG_20220804_120833.jpg.e92c973b5c79c610a0b058a132b21d89.jpg

This looks more like what I have. So where you able to buy those tyres? Is the tyre pack x9665 or is that the code for the wheel? Just to clarify your picture is the exact wheelsets I have on my 47 fleet.

10 minutes ago, 125_driver said:

This looks more like what I have. So where you able to buy those tyres? Is the tyre pack x9665 or is that the code for the wheel? Just to clarify your picture is the exact wheelsets I have on my 47 fleet.

The X9665 is the wheels with the tyre. I can't find the tyre on it's own, sadly.

• Thanks 1

I can only offer the opinion that the wheelsets have been incorrectly identified.  The same wheelsets are used on the 59 among others and if you check the series of service sheets 294-294C, you will see that early releases were equipped with X9665 wheelsets whereas more recent models have X9665M which is flagged as "with tyres" and the tyres themselves are X9722.  But I have to acknowledge both the X9665 and X9665M packs appear on the major spares suppliers' websites as tyre-fitted; neither pack features on Hornby's own site.

Edited by Going Spare
spelling

I have just heard back from my Spares contact at Hornby, who concurs with my view: X9665 no tyres, X9665M tyred.  However, checking stock, he confirms both packs are tyred "which is strange".   Further, the groove in X9665 wheels is wider that that in X9665M, for which tyre X9722 is not appropriate, but the tyre for the wider groove can not as yet be identified.  Confusion reigns (hopefully only temporarily).  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Going Spare said:

I have just heard back from my Spares contact at Hornby, who concurs with my view: X9665 no tyres, X9665M tyred.  However, checking stock, he confirms both packs are tyred "which is strange".   Further, the groove in X9665 wheels is wider that that in X9665M, for which tyre X9722 is not appropriate, but the tyre for the wider groove can not as yet be identified.  Confusion reigns (hopefully only temporarily).  

When the ex-Lima locos were first introduced as part of the Hornby range over a decade ago (Class 59s, R2519, R2520, R2521 and perhaps others) they were not fitted with traction tyres and the replacement axle packs were X9665 (powered bogie) and X9666 (non powered bogie). I presume as the result of adverse feedback regarding pulling power, subsequent locos were supplied fitted with traction tyres and the spare part number for the axle pack for the powered bogie became X9665M (M = modified). For some unknown reason, however, Hornby have started supplying tyre-fitted bogies in axle packs with the code X9665, which are the ones now available from the major spares suppliers, hence the confusion… on RMweb and apparently also at Hornby!

• Thanks 1