Class 47 TTS tyre issues

125_driver

13 hours ago, scouse889 said:

When the ex-Lima locos were first introduced as part of the Hornby range over a decade ago (Class 59s, R2519, R2520, R2521 and perhaps others) they were not fitted with traction tyres and the replacement axle packs were X9665 (powered bogie) and X9666 (non powered bogie). I presume as the result of adverse feedback regarding pulling power, subsequent locos were supplied fitted with traction tyres and the spare part number for the axle pack for the powered bogie became X9665M (M = modified). For some unknown reason, however, Hornby have started supplying tyre-fitted bogies in axle packs with the code X9665, which are the ones now available from the major spares suppliers, hence the confusion… on RMweb and apparently also at Hornby!

I have also remembered the same thing happened with the Class 67s - the first runs of R2522 and R2523 were supplied without tyres and the axle packs were X9624, but subsequent production runs of these locos arrived with tyres and the axle pack changed to X9624M. So depending on which run your loco was from, you might get a 67005 or 67027 with or without traction tyres. I bought a few of these locos at the time to use the chassis under Lima bodyshells, and had both. Unlike the 59s, the ex-Lima 67s are all axle drive so the addition of traction tyres to these seemed unnecessary and I have replaced any traction tyre fitted axles on mine with non tyred axles, and they work just fine.

The ex-Lima 156s R2511, R2512, and R2513 are further examples - original axle packs X9692 (no tyres), revised X9692M (one axle one wheel tyred).

31 minutes ago, 125_driver said:

Quick update, received a few packs of x9665 from Hornby, and as pointed out these where sets of wheels with the tyres on. The tyres fit perfectly onto my models, only question now is what to do with the spare wheelsets (none tyred)!!!

Keep as spares or sell to someone who doesn’t like traction tyres!

Do they fit direct into Lima models as I still think the Lima 47 is still good with appropriate modifications. Got me thinking now!

2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Keep as spares or sell to someone who doesn’t like traction tyres!

Do they fit direct into Lima models as I still think the Lima 47 is still good with appropriate modifications. Got me thinking now!

Sadly they don’t fit the Lima 47, and don’t run well on Hornby models without the tyres…