Where do you all get your inspiration and setting ideas from - total newbie asking

I don't know if I can legitimately comment on this, as I have a lot of idea but none of them have made it to completion (yet).

But I find a lot of inspiration in disused-stations.org (among many other things), and also works of fiction with imaginary railways in.

For eg (and most unseasonally) we'd lent the book 'Box of Delights' to a friend's kid and got it back yesterday after about 5years, and I've been leafing through it, and its first chapter has a very well-described fictional railway system in it, with how it fits into the lansdscape (it seems to be somewhere on the south or west side of the Midlands to me, which would make sense as he was born in Ledbury, Herefordshire, and lived various places around the hilly bits of Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire)...

Another place I'd like to see in model form is John Buchan's Bradgate, Kent (the location of the 39 Steps, and apparently a composite of Broadstairs and Ramsgate).

On 05/07/2022 at 10:01, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I had written a lengthy description of what I changed on the layout but I figured no one would want to about 10 paragraphs so I copied and pasted it onto a word document and deleted it from here. 

For those that want to read it, it'll be posted in exhibition layouts in the Draxbridge topic in due course and you can read it in all its wordy glory.

I've posted it on now.