Where do you all get your inspiration and setting ideas from - total newbie asking

Not a single place for me. I just flick through books and magazines, and the interweb and sometimes things catch my eye. My best layouts are generally inpsired by a single photo - not necessarily one of model I'll actually build, but one that embodies the atmosphere, or something about the model I want to build.

The thing is, inspiration can strike at any time, you just have to keep looking!

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Generally either something I have read about or seen a photo of in the prototype, then a distillation process where that matches with the practicalities of modelling it in space I have available. That is where modelling publications & YouTube come in.

It does work the other way too though, example the Inglenook shunting puzzle; however, to try to be authentic it is necessary (for me) to have some resemblance to a real setting. Others model and run what they want.

Edited by john new
Posted accidentally before I had finished writing it!
  • Like 4

…never stop looking…always evaluate every prototype to see whether it ticks your boxes.

Include the full range of modelling skills in your project, from RTR, kit & scratch builds to help round out your natural ability and have something running relatively quickly.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I have a Triang Princess and two 6" nails...where's my W.H.Smith's "Trains of the world" book? Or something along those lines! (No pun intended)  🤔

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lots of different places for me, old photos, magazines, books, this website alone is a massive source of inspiration for me. Although I’ve always been more of a builder than an operator so none of my layouts are particularly interesting to operate. I also tend to go for an overall feel of a place rather than anything overly pro typical.  An art teacher once said to me that tone is more important than colour, that’s definitely something i try to apply to my layouts.

regard’s Paul.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

When thinking of layout ideas, i flick through any model railway magazine (BRM, Model Rail, Hornby etc), Google images or this website and look at other people's layouts and try and find something I like the look of. 

I don't entirely copy what the other person has done, I take some of the inspiration, incorporate my ideas into it and I build it on from there.

• Like 3

For me, it has to be somewhere I have experienced, in real life. But that is harder done than said, especially trying to fit a prototype layout into the space available, and still make it look authentic as well as interesting - that is where the real work lies.

Some people have done it very well indeed, but most of us tend to do as much as we can, and live with it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

For me, it has to be somewhere I have experienced, in real life. But that is harder done than said, especially trying to fit a prototype layout into the space available, and still make it look authentic as well as interesting - that is where the real work lies.

Some people have done it very well indeed, but most of us tend to do as much as we can, and live with it!

I'll second that.

I wanted to replicate a real location. I found that real railways take up loads more space than most of us have for layouts. I wanted to model something on the WCML. I thought everywhere would take up way too much space. I found somewhere I could do justice to, but it has no pointwork on the scenic section so it is very much a case of watching trains go by...except I prefer building to running so I get more satisfaction from making a building than I would from an interesting running session.

So in answer to the OP: I use the real railway for inspiration. Virtually every station, yard & junction have their own peculiarities if you pay enough attention. For me, tunnels need to be the right shape, bridges need to be of the correct design. It does become a challenge if, like me, you choose to replicate something as closely as possible.

There is no right & wrong answer, just personal preference.

• Like 4

I think a lot of people base their layouts on their youth, maybe without realising it. 

Some people model the 1950s and 1960s as they were teenagers at the time. My layout is based on the late 80s early 90s, a diesel depot. Its inspired by visiting Eastfield depot as a teenager. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I think a lot depends on what type of modeller you are.  If like me you like to build rolling stock from kits you might like to build a layout just to run them on and show them off or photograph them.  However if you like buying RTR stock you might like a puzzle layout to shunt them around or an MPD where you can just move them around, or a roundy where you can just watch the trains go by.

If you have an interest in a particular era or railway you may want to build a freelance based on your period.

As you may have determined there is a significant divide between builders and operators.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As others have said, I find inspiration comes from many sources - quite often too many!  But a lesson I’ve learned is that I’m not good at converting inspiration into a practical project that takes time - it’s too easy to carry on dreaming!  Others build the momentum and have the determination to master all the skills needed for a rounded project - I needed a different way.  

So I’ve modified the way I turn that moment of inspiration into wood, metal and plastic.  In my case, I found I enjoy making buildings and kits more than I thought I would, but I don’t enjoy track laying much at all, so I now pick my builds and projects to reflect that, whatever the theme.  I’ve been doing more modelling, it’s been fun, and its turned out much better than I expected!

So my contribution to this discussion would be to take @Jeff Smith’s point from just above and say: “try something!”  I didn’t know what I’d enjoy or find I could do until I started - but now I look forward to each new thing I begin.  

It’s great that @Phil Parker was the first to respond to the question - I’ve never met Phil, but his approach to modelling as we see in BRM (magazine and videos) is definitely one I’ve learned from over the years.  Keith. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

When thinking of layout ideas, i flick through any model railway magazine (BRM, Model Rail, Hornby etc), Google images or this website and look at other people's layouts and try and find something I like the look of. 

I don't entirely copy what the other person has done, I take some of the inspiration, incorporate my ideas into it and I build it on from there.

Take Draxbridge (my n gauge modern day layout) for example. It's only done a few shows in Bridlington but the layout's look will be familiar to some of you N gauge modellers: It's inspired by Plan 24 Cobra Railhead layout plan in the PECO setrack N gauge planbook.

peco-new-plan-024-modern-micro-layout-cobra-railhead-16592-p.jpg.45c323fb7190e5708761b8610d79da01.jpg

The layout and the plan share some similarities: the track plan, the location of the goods shed etc. But I added some other ideas to it. Here are some of them:

Moving the portacabin and ignoring the shed

Moving the security fencing to the back of the layout

Turning the goods shed into a MPD and having the entire yard owned by Network Rail.

The Spitfire (the idea I'm most proud of!)

The greenery in between the turning point for lorries (with a tree and telegraph poles)

The bridge (which helped create the name)

The list goes on...

A few photos...

(Feel free to play spot the difference with these photos and the plan 🤡

IMG_20220624_205907_472.thumb.jpg.3624ae703d7010019f4a0f975d5d91b8.jpg

IMG_20220624_205846_563.thumb.jpg.d77acb292de9a26d559c7aacb3ec5bd5.jpg

FB_IMG_1628517612018.jpg.70e4f272903df2a4086b61dbe568db3c.jpg

I had written a lengthy description of what I changed on the layout but I figured no one would want to about 10 paragraphs so I copied and pasted it onto a word document and deleted it from here. 

For those that want to read it, it'll be posted in exhibition layouts in the Draxbridge topic in due course and you can read it in all its wordy glory.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Howl03 said:

Lots of different places for me, old photos, magazines, books, this website alone is a massive source of inspiration for me. Although I’ve always been more of a builder than an operator so none of my layouts are particularly interesting to operate. I also tend to go for an overall feel of a place rather than anything overly pro typical.  An art teacher once said to me that tone is more important than colour, that’s definitely something i try to apply to my layouts.

regard’s Paul.

I think this is similar to me.  Always been a hobby builder and like things to work and look as they should, but not one for operating as much.

I just struggle with ideas as I am new to this hobby

13 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

This is good to hear as i often really like someone elses layout or track plan but dont really want to copy.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

As others have said, I find inspiration comes from many sources - quite often too many!  But a lesson I’ve learned is that I’m not good at converting inspiration into a practical project that takes time - it’s too easy to carry on dreaming!  Others build the momentum and have the determination to master all the skills needed for a rounded project - I needed a different way.  

So I’ve modified the way I turn that moment of inspiration into wood, metal and plastic.  In my case, I found I enjoy making buildings and kits more than I thought I would, but I don’t enjoy track laying much at all, so I now pick my builds and projects to reflect that, whatever the theme.  I’ve been doing more modelling, it’s been fun, and its turned out much better than I expected!

So my contribution to this discussion would be to take @Jeff Smith’s point from just above and say: “try something!”  I didn’t know what I’d enjoy or find I could do until I started - but now I look forward to each new thing I begin.  

It’s great that @Phil Parker was the first to respond to the question - I’ve never met Phil, but his approach to modelling as we see in BRM (magazine and videos) is definitely one I’ve learned from over the years.  Keith. 

Brilliant thankyou.  I also have so many ideas or regularly save a picture of a layout to refer to later, but i never get any further than dreaming.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Take Draxbridge (my n gauge modern day layout) for example. It's only done a few shows in Bridlington but the layout's look will be familiar to some of you N gauge modellers: It's inspired by Plan 24 Cobra Railhead layout plan in the PECO setrack N gauge planbook.

peco-new-plan-024-modern-micro-layout-cobra-railhead-16592-p.jpg.45c323fb7190e5708761b8610d79da01.jpg

The layout and the plan share some similarities: the track plan, the location of the goods shed etc. But I added some other ideas to it. Here are some of them:

Moving the portacabin and ignoring the shed

Moving the security fencing to the back of the layout

Turning the goods shed into a MPD and having the entire yard owned by Network Rail.

The Spitfire (the idea I'm most proud of!)

The greenery in between the turning point for lorries (with a tree and telegraph poles)

The bridge (which helped create the name)

The list goes on...

A few photos...

(Feel free to play spot the difference with these photos and the plan 🤡

IMG_20220624_205907_472.thumb.jpg.3624ae703d7010019f4a0f975d5d91b8.jpg

IMG_20220624_205846_563.thumb.jpg.d77acb292de9a26d559c7aacb3ec5bd5.jpg

FB_IMG_1628517612018.jpg.70e4f272903df2a4086b61dbe568db3c.jpg

I had written a lengthy description of what I changed on the layout but I figured no one would want to about 10 paragraphs so I copied and pasted it onto a word document and deleted it from here. 

For those that want to read it, it'll be posted in exhibition layouts in the Draxbridge topic in due course and you can read it in all its wordy glory.

Thats great idea.  Start with a plan that you like but modify it a bit to suit, means its not a straight copy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I think we are all different on this one because inspiration comes from all different places .

Life experiences : Parents taking me to Glasgow on the train , exciting - loved large terminal stations .  Holidays seeing the trains  Torquay, Newquay , Paignton, Weymouth, Swanage, Great Yarmouth , Lowestoft   . Back in the 70s car parks were often to be found on spare ground near railway stations, so you could watch railway operations . I well remember seeing processions of trains running through Torquay hauled by Westerns , 47s and 50s  .  There's a cine film of me aged 2 pointing at a class 29 (or 21) climbing the viaduct at Glen Ogle on its way to Oban . So parents are responsible for giving me the bug! 

Catalogues :  I used to pour over the Triang-Hornby catalogue and later Hornby ones looking at the pictures of layouts for hours/days months . My layout now owes more to the layouts in these catalogues rather than capturing the actual prototype 

Magazines: Several layouts in my youth . Typically I like ones with terminals and complex operations . I think Hanbury in March 82 Railway Modeler remains one of the most inspirational for me ,inspirational yet achievable . Good operation too , which is often glossed over in articles ,  but there are others . There used to be a large Western Region layout ending at a terminus that was inspiring (Westport?)

Exhibitions : the layouts being shown . I well remember the large layouts from Renfrewshire MRC,  Elderslie and Ayr MRC exhibited at Paisley Town Hall or Model Rail Scotland 

YouTube , latest source of inspiration from likes of Oscar Paisley, Barrie Davis , OOBill, Dean Park etc . Love Kier Hardys layouts because they are early 70s - my type of layouts .

So its not one single place . its all over . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

With Wednesford it has evolved (due mainly to a lack of forward planning, a shocking admission as a retired Member of the Royal Town Planning Institute) through several rebuilds into the current form.  The shed size meant some of my early plans had to be scrapped through lack of space, but as someone who enjoys building a layout more than operating, as others have hinted, this probably was less of a chore than it might have been for someone who enjoys operating.  I've also discovered I enjoy using the layout as a film set for videos rather than operating it as a layout per se, so in a way I've stumbled into a whole new area of operation I find interesting, more by accident than design.

So, when it comes to inspiration, I'd suggest thinking about what and where your railway interests lie, what you want from the layout (operational interest, scenic interest, film set), see how much space you have, and then look at other layouts, and real locations, and work from there.  Then just go for it.

• Like 1

I'm another one building a real place (or rather, two real places) both originally inspired by a family holiday in the area years ago. The one currently under construction (Newton Stewart) was a real station so in theory is easy - just copy what was there. Yeah right, luckily I find the research just as much fun as building and operating.  The other is a pastiche of the branch from Newton Stewart to Whithorn, I didn't have room in my then teenage bedroom for any of the real stations so I concocted a light railway extension around the coast to Port William and set it there. There is even a set of modern bungalows where I decided the station would have been, which look just like they were built on an old station site - long, thin and flat.    

If I was starting again from scratch it would still be a copy of (or at least inspired by) a real place, possibly with a bit of childhood or the early part of my career on BR mixed in.  

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 2

For me I tend to have an idea of what it is I want to achieve like a depot, goods yard, etc and then research it a bit to get ideas and inspiration but the best ones are the ones that sometimes just seem to come into my mind all of a sudden,  I can see how it will look when complete etc. 

Jerry. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Inspiration is a very particular (and peculiar), thing. One person can see a photograph and and be so inspired by bit they can produce a layout from it. The same photo might leave another person cold. 

It’s all about looking. Read Books and magazines, trawl the internet for images. 

That’s how I work.

Ian

• Like 1