RMweb

Idiot at Flagstaff

melmerby

One does have to wonder what his thought process was...

I'm also sure there are a lot of older people who are grateful that the abundance of cameras today weren't around 30+ years ago to capture their stupidity for eternity.

• Agree 3

Judging from Google Streetview and the Amtrak schedule, that's the Eastbound Southwestern Chief (already 4 1/2 hours late, judging by the timestamp), so he was facing a 58 minute trip to the next stop at Winslow, hanging off the side of the train. All-in-all, I'd say he was lucky that the conductor noticed him and stopped the train.

Edited by Jim Martin

• RMweb Premium

Strangely enough it seems as though after the train had stopped a lady was able to board who would otherwise have missed it, but there doesn't seem to be any panic.  I wonder whether it was leaving early?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 31A said:

Strangely enough it seems as though after the train had stopped a lady was able to board who would otherwise have missed it, but there doesn't seem to be any panic.  I wonder whether it was leaving early?

It was apparently 4½ hrs late according to Jim (above)

I've noticed Amtrak conductors seem to be quite helpful.

Several times on the VRF cameras I have seen a latecomer just miss the departure, then the conductor gets the train stopped for them to board.

I assume the guy was ejected due to his reckless attempt at boarding a moving train. The outcome could've been a lot worse than just dropped food.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

When I have been on late running trains and there's been a stop long enough for a stretch of the legs and a breath of fresh air, they announce the approximate duration and advise against leaving the station, just in case there's a chance that the train gets an earlier right away. That has happened on a couple of occasions, I don't know if we left anyone behind though as there are no droplights, to be able to stick your head out of the window and watch.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BR traction instructor said:

…are there no catering facilities on these trains?

BeRTIe

Yes. Proper diner & a cafe according to info. Maybe the guy doesn't like Amtrak catering!

The full journey LA to Chicago is 2265 miles, takes 43 hours and there are 31 stops on route

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

…are there no catering facilities on these trains?

Depends on ticket.

If you have a room then what Amtrak calls Traditional Dining is available with proper meals - this is a sample menu for the Southwest Chief - https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Long-Distance-Dining-Car-Menu-0621.pdf

For everyone else there is a cafe, but the menu is rather limited - https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/national/National-Cafe-Menu-1021.pdf

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, barkingdigger said:

You have to wonder if we're doing a disservice to the gene pool by saving these folks from earning the Darwin awards they are so keen to get?  Even at my teenage dumbest I'd never have tried to cling to the outside of a train...

I’m reminded of a poem I read in a joke book once, something like this (not sure who wrote it):

Epitaph

’Here lies a chump who got no gain

from jumping on a moving train.

Banana skins on platform seven

ensured his destination: Heaven.’

😀

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Trains in other countries such as India are literally covered in people trying to get from a to b. Not only is it dangerous, but people could get hurt, or worse, killed.

image.png.efca8ee73c3e92227a44ea523364f8ec.png

(© BBC News Website)

image.png.9a93199a6f3bb78a3183a600b7a056cc.png

(© Pinterest)

Tickets please.

There was quite a craze for railway surfing / train surfing / subway surfing among the thrill-seeking modern yoof several decades back. You still get the occasional outbreak now and then.

Edited by Krusty