Schooner's (Mostly Maritime) Layouts

Schooner

16 minutes ago, magmouse said:

Well, indeed - but you probably helped with a clear and detailed brief. Being a “good client” is more important than people sometimes realise.

This looks really great - and an excellent example of minimum space 7mm scale, with lots of play potential.

Resistance is futile…

Nick.

I can indeed confirm that @Schooner is a very well behaved customer! 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, magmouse said:

minimum space 7mm scale, with lots of play potential...

...and 6' radius curves, just in case I win the pools and Lee Marsh does another run... 

web_2.jpg?v=1579611593

:)

Something of a missed opportunity that these are not to be the next RTR GWR loco from a well respected manufacturer...

Okay, back to joy being unconfined! 

PS. re minimum space, I recently realised the the loft space must be something like 40' x 10'...uhoh!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

2.jpg.32123a87504744c2f07a99301480a2c9.jpg

3.83m x 3.50m (floor); Beams upper 2.85m, 62cm from the floor, 78cm to the inner apex; Beam centres: 1.42m

Height, floor to inner apex: 1.68m

Hmmm...Suggestions invited!

The rest of the roof is of different construction - no beams for a start - but is very much au naturel at the moment; and doing anything with it comes after stopping the sea coming in from the bottom...*

*...and rain in from the top, and god-alone-knows coming in sideways through the wall from next door, and and and...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Schooner said:

My immediate thought - think 'cockpit', with the operator seated half way between the beams, head immediately below the roof apex, facing the window. The layout wraps around, with the main scenic space between the beams, below the window, making use of all that lovely light. Track layout with station/harbour/yard/industry centred, fed by either dumbbells either end or a loop of track round the outside of the space. Could have a fiddle yard behind the operator, who sits on a swivel chair.

Could be quite spacious for 4mm scale, but who needs that? Tight radii for 7mm scale but would suit an industrial scene, which would suit you.

Nick.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Schooner said:

2.jpg.32123a87504744c2f07a99301480a2c9.jpg

3.83m x 3.50m (floor); Beams upper 2.85m, 62cm from the floor, 78cm to the inner apex; Beam centres: 1.42m

Height, floor to inner apex: 1.68m

The rest of the roof is of different construction - no beams for a start - but is very much au naturel at the moment; and doing anything with it comes after stopping the sea coming in from the bottom...*

*...and rain in from the top, and god-alone-knows coming in sideways through the wall from next door, and and and...

Two thoughts/questions:

1. Where's the way in?

2. What's the horizontal distance between the inner edges of the rafters at backscene height above the beams (I think they're called collars)?

• Like 1

On 06/04/2024 at 07:58, St Enodoc said:

1. Where's the way in?

I'm stood in it - oversize hatch, integrated ladder.

On 06/04/2024 at 07:58, St Enodoc said:

2. What's the horizontal distance between the inner edges of the rafters at backscene height above the beams (I think they're called collars)?

Ah, thank you! I did check but can't remember...quite a lot less than the collars, enough for me to discount that approach being Plan A. By the time there's space down the middle (I like @magmouse's cockpit idea, which chimes with how I tend to think of layouts anyway) the boards would need to be pretty narrow.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

vitp4v_33um_l.jpg

The original - lifting - wooden railway bridge over the Pill at Fremington; replaced with the better-known iron bridge in 1880. From the excellent achive here. Woop woop!

Map below, for context

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.1&lat=51.07376&lon=-4.11598&layers=178&b=1&o=100

PS. Oh, hello! Is that a 282 at Fremington? Ideal!

1kh7afq_343h_l.jpg

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had time to read the thread and found it by accident. However just letting you know that I noticed the OO9 society had a "Barbados Railcar" in their secondhand sales at Narrow Gauge South. It appeared to be an assembled brass kit. It was a bit too chunky for my freelance layout but I had to google it when I got home hence ended up here. I am doubtful if it has sold so if of any use get in touch with them. 

• Thanks 1