Make it Miniature servo turnout/point actuator

hayfield

I obtained a couple of these units along with a control unit for 4 units a few months back, sadly many other things have got in the way, Rather than rattle on and get it either wrong and or miss the important points I have added a link to a short YouTube video

James is a very talented and accomplished modeller and his portrayal of building Bexhill West station is not to be missed though there are quite a few videos to watch and is in a second season

Here is a link to his website

https://makeitminiature.bigcartel.com/

Edited by hayfield
left link out
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Dave

169.jpeg.4861ab2bd7a5f715b1d22bfb7a5c2cd6.jpeg

Its the one in the video, which Richard can supply. Its so simple its plug and play.

Its for 4 units, there is no programming other than you can set the throw for each one the 5th pod controls the speed. Can be used for DC & DCC

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I purchased over 20 of these a while back and whilst they are a great design, hats off to James, they are just too bulky for my needs; they would not fit on the  cramped underside of my test track so the MERGs stay in place.  I have since switched exclusively to MP1s for turnouts and will probably used dingo's for semaphores.  Shame, like to support UK innovators, but physical size was the down side for me.

• 1 month later...
On 23/08/2023 at 19:45, NFWEM57 said:

I purchased over 20 of these a while back and whilst they are a great design, hats off to James, they are just too bulky for my needs; they would not fit on the  cramped underside of my test track so the MERGs stay in place.  I have since switched exclusively to MP1s for turnouts and will probably used dingo's for semaphores.  Shame, like to support UK innovators, but physical size was the down side for me.

What's a MP1, is it a servo point actuator?

Thanks

Ian

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Ian_H said:

What's a MP1, is it a servo point actuator?

It is a small 3 terminal motorised turnout motor, not servo, which is initiated by applying the voltage to the centre terminal and grounding one of the other two terminals.  The motor runs until it reached the stops and the electronics disconnect the supply.  Apply the ground to the other terminal and it moves back the other way.  Mounted underneath the baseboard and links to turnout using piano wire as usual.  Linear travel and movement adjustable in 3 steps so good for N and  OO and possible O gauge.  Very small footprint, 28mm x 40mm and low power use.  Comes with built in frog switcher.   Other versions have two switches, one for the frog and one for feedback. Made by MPB.  Image form MPB website.  DCC controllable switching using the likes of a Digikeijs DR4018 or ESU, Yodi or YaMoRc equivalents.  Shop around as there are some overinflated prices but expect to pay £15~£20 in bulk.

image.png.9a315c8f6e8ba3c619008dbe3d89beef.png