The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Good Sim Card for low use phone?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Just got my Asda Sim placed it in phone, reads a signal - great

Set up account - enter my e-mail address - disaster.

It wont accept it because it has a forbidden word in it.

It wont tell me what it is forbidden so that's the end of it.

I've been using the same e-mail for 15+ years and it's the same e-mail address that I use for Asda Home Shopping.

I've been in touch with Asda help and they suggested using a different e-mail account e.g. Gmail, which I have.

Same thing rejected it as having a forbidden word but I use it for the Play store!

The chap said wait 10 mins and I'll call you back to see whether it accepted the Gmail.

I then got a call which went straight to voicemail (?), Which I need to dial 121 to retrieve. No credit because I can't register my SIM card, so can't do that.

I've waited a further 15mins and nothing so phone turned off and I can get on doing more important things.

All in all a waste of time.

Standards change over time.

Its quite possible that if you tried to set up a g-mail account today using the 'forbidden' word you would not be able to do so. Just because your current account may still be supported doesn't mean its address is acceptable to society these days.

To be honest I'm wondering what exactly the 'forbidden' word is (or why on earth you think having what seems to be an unacceptable word in todays society) was a good idea in the first place. I know in the early years of the internet words like Scunthorpe got rejected by the relativity crude filtering employed back then on account of the rude word contained within, but the technology moved on fairly quickly.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

To be honest I'm wondering what exactly the 'forbidden' word is (or why on earth you think having what seems to be an unacceptable word (in todays society) was a good idea in the first place. I know in the early years of the internet words like Scunthorpe got rejected by the relativity crude filtering employed back then on account of the rude word contained within, but the technology moved on fairly quickly.

If my username is considered unacceptable much of the English language must be.

It's not rude, profane or discriminatory, even in today's anti everything world.

The guy I spoke to couldn't understand the problem, especially as it it's the one I used to set up my Asda shopping account in 2020.

The Gmail account wasn't set up that long ago as it was this phone I did it on.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

If my username is considered unacceptable much of the English language must be.

It's not rude, profane or discriminatory, even in today's anti everything world.

The guy I spoke to couldn't understand the problem, especially as it it's the one I used to set up my Asda shopping account in 2020.

Fair enough - but not knowing the username in question does make it hard to asses whether its a technical glitch or standards have moved on.

• RMweb Premium

Just had the bloke back on the phone, who was getting a bit annoyed with me

He said He would talk me through the process and we will be setting up the account.

So I did what he said and he kept saying have you done that yet? several times and just before the end he said now type in a new password which I did. He said you will now connect, good-bye and rang off.

Wrong. It threw up the forbidden word error and didn't connect, so bye bye Asda Mobile, what a waste of space.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Tried a completely different email address (another identity on Gmail)

It accepted it, it confirm activation it asked me to log on using the Username (which was shown in the email sent to me) I had chosen.

So I entered that username and it rejected it as not being in their records! But it's the one in the e-mail you sent me you daft idiots!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

This really is a PITA

I tried again later and it accepted the new Username (why not before?), so I decided to change the password, just in case.

It accepted the new password and I now have a working account.

I have set up my billing address and added a payment card.

It now shows I have a valid payment card

I tried to top and it said the card issuer has blocked the payment!☹️

• RMweb Premium

After being onto the help desk again it has been ascertained that the reason the card is declined is that the card issuer currently wont authorize that type of payment from that card!

Something for the bank to sort out.

• RMweb Premium

Figured it out

A top-up is a cash payment, in the same way as foreign currency or traveller's cheques and it is blocked by default on my credit card.

I remembered that I always used a debit card to top up my previous SIM, so the debit card has now been linked to my mobile account and the credit card removed.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got my new asda mobile account less than a month and the price will be going through the roof.

The 4p  Calls/Text/Data rate will be 15/10/10 from 26/9/2022

What a cheek, looks like another change of prtovider required.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Wheatley said:

At the risk of repeating myself, 1p Mobile. No connection other than as a satisfied customer. 

£10 top up every 120 days required, so if you are a low user the "1p" cost is immaterial as you wont use enough.

Asda was £5 top up every 180 days, which was one of the main reasons I chose it

22 hours ago, melmerby said:

Got my new asda mobile account less than a month and the price will be going through the roof.

The 4p  Calls/Text/Data rate will be 15/10/10 from 26/9/2022

What a cheek, looks like another change of prtovider required.

The people they piggyback off must have put their rates up.

I'd done a £5 top up just before I went on holiday (over the counter at a local ASDA rather than online) so I'm not amused either. However, as its only my backup mobile, I'll just grimace and bear it.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The people they piggyback off must have put their rates up.

I'd done a £5 top up just before I went on holiday (over the counter at a local ASDA rather than online) so I'm not amused either. However, as its only my backup mobile, I'll just grimace and bear it.

They use Vodafone and as far as I can see their rates aren't about to change on PAYG

The base PAYG1 is £1 per day when phone is used for chargeable calls, nothing on no call days. You must use the phone for chargable calls at least once in 180 days, and has a £5 minimum top up.

Asda's 375% increase just seems like a total rip off totally removed from reality, after being touted as a low cost PAYG.

IMHO very few of these mobile phone deals are "transparent" i.e. it is not easy to find the actual cost per call per min, usually buried at the end of some spiel trying to sell you a bundle.

Edited by melmerby

41 minutes ago, melmerby said:

They use Vodafone and as far as I can see their rates aren't about to change on PAYG

As you say, charges aren't transparent. I suspect that Vodafone might have put up their carrier rates for the likes of ASDA, something that wouldn't affect their rates to the general public, especially if ASDA were undercutting Vodafones own PAYG rates.

Over the next 180 days, I'll probably decouple myself from ASDA and once the credit on the phone runs down, abandon the account for something more amenable.