Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Bachmann supply bogies (albeit complete, not frames only) for all (?) their other diesel classes, including the 2022 releases, so there's no reason to think the 37s won't be the same. Just keeping checking on the spares website under "2022 class 37". They'll be there eventually. The 47s took a while to come through - 6 to 9 months if memory serves; 37s shouldn't be long now.   

Waiting patiently on that page myself too

At the correct juncture I want to do 37350 / D6700 in its railtour days, that needs cast bogies too, but I need a bit more than bogies to tackle that one.

Edited by adb968008

10 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

Just ordered 'Radio Highland' 37 in SFX. lovely looking Loco. 

I’m tempted as well, but not 100% sure about the pipe work all protruding forwards over the snowploughs….

• Like 1

On 23/07/2022 at 10:06, Hilux5972 said:

Why? Why are they going up against the Accurascale version? 

Entrepreneurship? I did not realise only Accurascale had the exclusive rights to produce the locomotives. I am sure you told Accurascale/Cavalex that Bachmann and Hornby had done models of:

Class 37

Class 56

Class 60

BAA wagons

HAA/HFA/CDA wagons

TEA wagons

Enough to go around and possibly appeal to different aspects of the hobby. However, not all stock types sell as well and no railway has an infinite number of variants of coaches/locos/wagons etc. Companies have to keep their stock fresh and relevant to the market or they go out of business. A competitive market is more beneficial to the consumer, too.

Anyway: these 37s look great models. I am sure many people will get many hours of innocent pleasure from well-crafted, well designed models. All the manufacturers seem to be hitting hard on the 37/0 or 37/3 or 37/4 end of the class, but I am looking for a 37/5 or 37/7. I could perhaps get a brand new locomotive, but pre-owned seems is what I look at. I can pick up the models I am after for a price I can afford. A good model, even if not the best, but I factor that in when making a choice. Do not let the good become the enemy of the best ;).

Accurascale or Bachmann is a much better choice than some people face on a daily basis.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, cambo74 said:

Have ordered 2 x DCC Ready 37260s with the intention of reworking one to 37261 Caithness ….. I’m sure there will probably be some reason why it won’t be authentic but will apply some modellers licence if needs be …. Hopefully tho - these models can be used for both locos …. 

Even when the differences were pointed out I could not tell the difference between the two types of bogies. Someone else had previously mentioned the different grilles, again, I could not tell the difference. I can tell the obvious detail, though, such as the the nose ends. Never mind. Some people are interested in the model part of model railways. I am more interested in the railway part of model railways.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

I’m tempted as well, but not 100% sure about the pipe work all protruding forwards over the snowploughs….

May be misunderstanding your comment but if referring to Bachmann’s plough / bufferbeam detail setup then the simple answer is to ditch the Bach ploughs and replace with Accurascale ones - discussion further up thread on how done. The Bachmann supplied ploughs are dreadful and there is no way I could find to fit the plough and details and then negotiate anything more than straight track… and that’s even before starting to think about couplers 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

It’s a shame they can’t bang these out at £170 from the get go. Then we’d have a straight “ tractor off “ with accurascale 

Or to put it another way:

It's a shame Accurascale couldn't get their cab windscreens right from the get go. Then they could have a "tractor off" with Bachmann. 

I'm very  happy with my new D6829 and not for the first time Accurascale have failed to persuade me to part with any of my money. It's not all about the price tag.

Justin

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I weakened but what a satisfying little project - the loco formerly known as Dounreay. If only more were being released in this configuration and livery rather than all the 80s ones being in spangly liveries which whilst nice, were comparitively few in number at the time.

image.png.851094cb46f10baf8d2d270b8023be26.png

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jjnewitt said:

I'm very  happy with my new D6829 and not for the first time Accurascale have failed to persuade me to part with any of my money. It's not all about the price tag.

Justin

Good to hear some discernment, Justin. Agree with you on this - though regrettably I did part with money.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Bachmann supply bogies (albeit complete, not frames only) for all (?) their other diesel classes, including the 2022 releases, so there's no reason to think the 37s won't be the same. Just keeping checking on the spares website under "2022 class 37". They'll be there eventually. The 47s took a while to come through - 6 to 9 months if memory serves; 37s shouldn't be long now.   

Yes , I check the Bachmann Spares site daily but after being in contact with them I was told there's no guarantee that the bogies will come through as spares

• Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I weakened but what a satisfying little project - the loco formerly known as Dounreay. If only more were being released in this configuration and livery rather than all the 80s ones being in spangly liveries which whilst nice, were comparitively few in number at the time.

image.png.851094cb46f10baf8d2d270b8023be26.png

Wow , that looks fantastic! Great respray and weathering. I see laser glaze ? I can never get hold of Bryan at shawplan these days, I’ve given up trying .

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Good to hear some discernment, Justin. Agree with you on this - though regrettably I did part with money.  

I was concerned about the windows in AS37 too but in the flesh I thought they were ok. Personally I find the nose seam on the Bach version more annoying though it barely shows on versions where paint colours meet at the seam- more of an issue on large logo liveries for example.  But I’ll admit that the versions of 430 that I’ve seen in the flesh suggest this is not as noticeable as in some pics…. Each to his own I guess - for me I’m taking from both stables at moment and pondering what to do with my extensive fleet of older 37s…

Which brings another question… when standing the old and new 37s alongside the ride height of the old really makes it look toylike… has anyone successfully modded the old to lower the ride height?  If this is poss then adding a few details will bring the old up to a standard where can work alongside the new for me  - otherwise a few 37s might be auction website destined.

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2023 at 08:05, jjnewitt said:

It's a shame Accurascale couldn't get their cab windscreens right from the get go. Then they could have a "tractor off" with Bachmann. 

Justin

Both (well, the A/S with the original screen moulding) compare well to the Shawplan etch, and it very much depends on the angle of view as to which looks the better of the two. I have one of the modernised Accurascale 37s, and I’m less satisfied with how the inner screen moulding sits in the surround, but I’m slowly plucking up the courage to back date it anyway, so this area will be worked on.

The Bachmann screens are a little flat laterally across the 3 windscreens when viewed from above, where Accurascale have got the profile better. Bachmann’s glazing leaves a lot to be desired and the front screens benefit from being replaced with Laserglaze. Accurascale bevel the glazing edges reducing the prismatic effect a lot. A little thinned black acrylic applied round the back of the glazing removes most of what’s left of the prismatics.

The nose seam on the Bachmann grates on wraparound yellow ends, too.

I have a fleet with both models, and for the price I’d expect the Bachmann one to be picture perfect, or as close to it as possible for a factory-produced model. It falls far short. I still think it’s a great model, mind!

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, meanach said:

Wow , that looks fantastic! Great respray and weathering. I see laser glaze ? I can never get hold of Bryan at shawplan these days, I’ve given up trying .

Thanks, I’m really pleased with it too. Brian changed his email address so try brian55hanson@icloud.com if you haven’t already. Sometimes he is busy with big orders so if you don’t hear back in a few days send a reminder. He’s a vital resource in these days of better models and fewer people converting or kitbashing.

And yes, all my Bachmann 37s are Laserglazed - windscreens only.

Edited by 97406
  • Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, jjnewitt said:

Justin

I'm not sure what you are referring to , but IMHO opinion , the accurascale glass looks way better than the toy like prismatic Bachmann .

No, more likely , they can't compete on cost as Bachmann is a larger brand with bigger overheads and chinese overlords who expect higher margins 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Which brings another question… when standing the old and new 37s alongside the ride height of the old really makes it look toylike… has anyone successfully modded the old to lower the ride height?  If this is poss then adding a few details will bring the old up to a standard where can work alongside the new for me  - otherwise a few 37s might be auction website destined.

I have been slowly going through my old Bachmann model's upgrading to replace the fuel tanks with much more detailed 3d printed parts.  As part of this the model needed lowering, I covered the approach here 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Thanks, I’m really pleased with it too. Brian changed his email address so try brian55hanson@icloud.com if you haven’t already. Sometimes he is busy with big orders so if you don’t hear back in a few days send a reminder. He’s a vital resource in these days of better models and fewer people converting or kitbashing.

And yes, all my Bachmann 37s are Laserglazed - windscreens only.

Thanks very much ! That would explain it as that’s not the address I was trying last year. Out of curiosity, do you weather with acrylics or enamels and likewise what varnish please ? I have had some issues with railtec transfers crinkling after application of Testors dull coat and Tamiya seems to totally destroy them !

5 hours ago, JN said:

Entrepreneurship? I did not realise only Accurascale had the exclusive rights to produce the locomotives. I am sure you told Accurascale/Cavalex that Bachmann and Hornby had done models of:

Class 37

Class 56

Class 60

BAA wagons

HAA/HFA/CDA wagons

TEA wagons

Enough to go around and possibly appeal to different aspects of the hobby. However, not all stock types sell as well and no railway has an infinite number of variants of coaches/locos/wagons etc. Companies have to keep their stock fresh and relevant to the market or they go out of business. A competitive market is more beneficial to the consumer, too.

Anyway: these 37s look great models. I am sure many people will get many hours of innocent pleasure from well-crafted, well designed models. All the manufacturers seem to be hitting hard on the 37/0 or 37/3 or 37/4 end of the class, but I am looking for a 37/5 or 37/7. I could perhaps get a brand new locomotive, but pre-owned seems is what I look at. I can pick up the models I am after for a price I can afford. A good model, even if not the best, but I factor that in when making a choice. Do not let the good become the enemy of the best ;).

Accurascale or Bachmann is a much better choice than some people face on a daily basis.

Plus, in my experience anyway, Bachmann locomotives are more reliable.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, meanach said:

Thanks very much ! That would explain it as that’s not the address I was trying last year. Out of curiosity, do you weather with acrylics or enamels and likewise what varnish please ? I have had some issues with railtec transfers crinkling after application of Testors dull coat and Tamiya seems to totally destroy them !

I use acrylics and enamels.

I’m getting on better with enamel varnish these days. Apply thin coats lightly over transfers first. Any ‘bloom’ from trapped air behind the carrier film can be disguised with a fine brush and some of the body colour between coats. All enamels are thinned with white spirit.

For weathering after varnishing, the chassis still gets a light brush coating of Frame Dirt, and the grilles get enamel Roof Dirt brushed in, then cleaned up with a brush and/or cotton bud after the paint has started to  set. I then airbrush Roof Dirt enamel on the roof and upper bodyside and Brake Dust on the chassis and lower body sides. It’s quite a pleasing thing to do and I am gradually getting more adventurous as time goes on. Take a look at James Makin’s thread for the next level weathering, and a good source of information.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to , but IMHO opinion , the accurascale glass looks way better than the toy like prismatic Bachmann .

No, more likely , they can't compete on cost as Bachmann is a larger brand with bigger overheads and chinese overlords who expect higher margins 

The Accurascale model doesn't look enough like the prototype in the windscreen area. It somehow doesn't have the right "expression" on it's face. Soemthing about their cab isn't right and it puts me off completely, especially with all the endless look how great we are crap that goes with the company. All RTR glazing looks toy like by the way, including Accurascale's! It the one area with these models that still stuck in the 80s.  

The Bachmann model has it's faults (I'm not keen on the separate noses, just as I'm not keen on Accurascale's removable roof) but to me it looks more like a real 37.

Justin

• Agree 5

I have 3 of each now. (3 Bachmann ones all reduced at under £170) .

Whilst I want to love the Bachmann one, I can’t forgive them for the lazy design of the ploughs . It’s like an after thought . Secondly who on Earth thought the sound was acceptable? They need a milling out in order to fit a beefy speaker.

So whilst they look fantastic when modelled like 97406 above has done , it’s hard to forgive these design flaws at the premium price they command. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 97406 said:

A comparison of the Accurascale and Bachmann (Laserglazed) windscreens. I now need to stop rubbing my thighs and do some work! 🤩

20230804_094118.jpg

I follow James Makin’s excellent thread. These are up there with his work imho ! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

The Bachmann screens are a little flat laterally across the 3 windscreens, where Accurascale have got the profile better. 

Interesting! - I think the opposite. The Bachmann ones look right to me. The A/S ones seem to bow outwards, which I feel spoils the front end look (and that's without even mentioning the gaps round the windscreens). There's also something about the cab roof profile on the A/S that looks wrong to me - slightly shallower than Bachmann's. But I couldn't swear to it. I hate to use the word "subjective" but I can't really back up any of my points with facts, so subjective they will have to be. The A/S one just doesn't look right to me. There was even something in the nose-side grilles and in the bogies that I didn't like - but nothing I could put my finger on.  

EDIT: I think the A/S one looks OK from one specific angle - coincidentally the angle that you've photographed your 37043 (?) from above! See what I mean about flatter roof though? 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Interesting! - I think the opposite. The Bachmann ones look right to me. The A/S ones seem to bow outwards, which I feel spoils the front end look (and that's without even mentioning the gaps round the windscreens). There's also something about the cab roof profile on the A/S that looks wrong to me - slightly shallower than Bachmann's. But I couldn't swear to it. I hate to use the word "subjective" but I can't really back up any of my points with facts, so subjective they will have to be. The A/S one just doesn't look right to me. There was even something in the nose-side grilles and in the bogies that I didn't like - but nothing I could put my finger on.  

I’ve noticed a slight curve in the glazing on the A/S one. Looking at the 3 A/S ones below, the splitbox one on the left looks great to me, but the ones to the right go a little ‘off’. By a similar token the Bachmann screens look a little tall from some angles. In reality it’s fractions of a millimetre and in my view the perfect 37 screens lie somewhere between the 2. Some days I think Bachmann are best, other days the Accurascale wins.

image.png.d3b93a4b4ae6ef491021797e91a7b8d1.png

Edited by 97406
Don’t know my left from right!