exSECR Diag 960

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

I don’t have a copy of the Oakwood Press book, can anyone help?

3A44C58B-C687-453C-8454-41C757C0D1C4.jpeg.e547e08efec9c9ca56aca852dcd62a53.jpeg

In Aug ‘39 the SR converted a number of exSECR Diag 960 parcels vans for use with p+p sets to increase luggage capacity, they lasted until ‘62. 

Is the Diag 960 available as a kit in 4mm or possibly can be adapted from a kit/RTR?

Thanks, StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

A related query, is the Bachmann PLV of similar design?

Thanks for both answers….

StaySafe

The Parkside kit comes with separate vents so that it can be built a either S.R. or S.E.C.R. version ........ underfloor gubbins are, indeed, a little different earlier vans have conventional brake blocks rather than the chunky Southern ones, and, have the vacuum cylinder outboard of the V-hangers rather than towards the centre. Internally the S.E.C.R. vans had a midway partition but I don't know whether that was all the way across or had a doorway - nor whether it was kept until withdrawal.

Guest Jack Benson

I had a gander at the Bachmann PLV on Beaminster Road, it has the same window openings as Diag960 and will do for my uncritical porpoises……..

Thanks and StaySafe

On 24/07/2022 at 18:46, Blandford1969 said:

... 30052 with a van that looks very similar. .... it would be 1963 or 64. ...

That photo does warrant a few more words : the original S.E.C.R. 'air-control' vans did, indeed last 'til about '62 ( long outlasting their non P&P brethren ) and were then replaced with B.R. built plywood-sided versions as shown - hence the later date. ( PC47 with new ends would get you close )