short crossover

Hi ,I'm coming back into the N gauge world after a 35 year layoff ,I'm going to build a layout in a travel trunk.

I want a double line but will actually be one continuous (like a figure of 8 but inside itself )line and got a short crossover to achieve this .I bought an electrofrog but I'm DC NOT DCC. would it be better to buy a insurfrog and solider the wires myself or would this not solve my problem. I know they have a dead spot which might also course me problems .

any and all help and advice welcome

• RMweb Premium

Insulfrog points have a short insulated section which can cause problems, Electrofrog points require the heel end to be isolated from the plain track and the common crossing to have its own feed, from the switch rails. There are a number of ways of achieving this, depending on how you intend to operate your points.

• RMweb Premium

In this case insulfrogs will make life much easier. Live frogs would need some method to switch them over every time a train completes a circuit, ideally automated.

• RMweb Premium

Hi there - welcome aboard!  I note your question is about N-Gauge but has been posted here in the Narrow Gauge Forum.  Can I assume this means you’re looking at running Narrow Gauge trains on 9mm track?

With regards to your specific question, I’m inclined to agree with @Nile that Insulfrogs will make life much easier.  The only thing I’d be careful of are any short wheelbase 0-4-0 locomotives you want to run: if the wheel base just happens to match the distance between the insulated parts of the crossing then a slow-running narrow gauge locomotive might stall.  I run a small 0-4-0 Liliput Diesel shunter (the one in my photo) and while I don’t have an Insulfrog crossing, I know it’s fine on regular Insulfrog points other than at very slow speeds.  Keeping my track clean is, unsurprisingly, the things that seems to make the biggest difference to running quality.  Hope that helps - have fun, Keith.