Train Truckers

slilley

Incidentally, the scene with the "first passengers" was not the first day of operation - the "Welcome to the Polar Express" archway wasn't complete on the first day owing to the last-minute arrival of the S160.

It's a shame the cameras weren't there for the second day (we had snow!).

• Like 1

Having never been present at the Railway when something has gone in or out, this is the first time I've "seen" something being unloaded in the yard, and the work that goes into it.

Whilst of course I've seen other episodes of TT, seeing the programme being about the line I volunteer on and at an event I helped out with (albeit only for one day), makes it all seem a lot more "real".

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Markwj said:

When talking about what could go wrong the graphic always shows the item falling off the ramp and onto its side. Would this actually happen? I don’t think the momentum generated by the winch would be enough to do this?

Any knowledgable people on here with any ideas?

thanks

I would expect to be like any other derailment - flange climbs the rail and drops off the other side (inevitably with a fairly loud bang).  And in tiat case the winch is immediately stopped.  

But things could be rather different with unsupported/inadequately supported rail on one side as the rails rise towards the bed of the trailer.  in this situation there could be a twisting situation for the load and gravity might take over.  But surely a careful loader would watch out for that and stop things if any twist started to become  apparent?   That is in any case very different from a flange riding over the rail head  - where the derailed wheel would simply drop on the wrong side.

I've seen planty of derailment where a flange went onto and then over the rail head (one reason why you should really walk towards derailed vehicles rather than start from them and walk away from them looking for marks on rails and sleepers.  Even loco bogies derailed in that way wouldn't normally lead to a capsize unless various other factors come into play.  wagons could run for a long way before completely derailing depends on the wagon type and the way it was loaded.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/08/2022 at 20:07, gwrrob said:

Very enjoyable too with some wonderfully skilled drivers involved. I wonder if Hornby will scan it whilst it's there. They've always had one in the range....

Wrong type of Hall though!

On 17/08/2022 at 13:18, 5944 said:

It's a shame they didn't record a different haulier, then they'd be able to use the audio and visual of a Pacer running away and crashing through a set of level crossing gates...

On 17/08/2022 at 13:57, Michael Hodgson said:

If you're going to show a Pacer, get Jeremy Clarkson to do the show and tell him it's a caravan.

We really could do with out comments like this seeing as the preserved ones at Foxfield were vandalised recently....

Please start thinking please rather than making stupid comments.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/mindless-fools-smash-up-train-7195374

Foxfield Railway: Vandals cause £25k damage at heritage attraction - BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-61770075

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1