Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Frank Collins (Dukedog)

sixteen 12by 10s

• RMweb Gold

Oh gosh, what sad news.

Frank was a lovely chap and really encouraging when I took my layout to the Cradley Heath exhibition a few years ago. The fish and chips from 'Ivans' were a delight at lunchtime!

A sad loss, thoughts and prayers are with those close to him. 

Edited by 08221
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m really saddened to hear this news. I first came across Frank when we were both members of Your Model Railway forum and he was a font of knowledge for me when building my layout Much Murkle. We occasionally corresponded on modelling matters but he probably never realised how much I owed him. 

It was Frank who inspired me through his layouts Pen y Bont and Steam on the Cambrian

It was Frank who pestered me to write to all the editors and get an article on the layout in one of the magazines.

It was Frank as manager of the Crawley Heath show who gave me my first exhibition invite for Much Murkle.

it was Frank who gave me the confidence to solder more than just wires and switches.

A real character and I’m sure that there will be many others who will also miss Frank’s advice and help

Rest in peace matey and my thoughts are with your family and friends.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Very sorry to learn of Frank's passing.  I met him a couple of times at shows (Wolverhampton and the Bonded Warehouse in Stourbridge) and I was a big admirer of Penybont in particular.  He was a superb modeller and freely gave me some advice about how to paint water scenes.  I hope his layouts survive for others to enjoy.  Condolences to his family.

• RMweb Premium

I am very sorry to hear that Frank has passed away. Frank and I not only shared Railways and Model Railways as our hobbies, we were both also Radio Amateur's. Frank was indeed a very knowledgeable character and will be sorely missed. R.I.P Frank.

P.S I've just read this thread https://www.facebook.com/groups/12699105116/permalink/10166429522395117/ 

It looks like Frank was in the process of getting back on-air, how very sad that he didn't make it. In the Amateur Radio world, Frank is now said to be SK (Silent Key). 

Edited by Pannier Tank
Further information.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 27/07/2022 at 21:34, nickwood said:

I’m really saddened to hear this news. I first came across Frank when we were both members of Your Model Railway forum and he was a font of knowledge for me when building my layout Much Murkle. We occasionally corresponded on modelling matters but he probably never realised how much I owed him. 

It was Frank who inspired me through his layouts Pen y Bont and Steam on the Cambrian

It was Frank who pestered me to write to all the editors and get an article on the layout in one of the magazines.

It was Frank as manager of the Crawley Heath show who gave me my first exhibition invite for Much Murkle.

it was Frank who gave me the confidence to solder more than just wires and switches.

A real character and I’m sure that there will be many others who will also miss Frank’s advice and help

Rest in peace matey and my thoughts are with your family and friends.

Hi Nick

Thats quite a tribute! Coming from someone who has built such a fine layout, thanks

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/07/2022 at 19:38, Pannier Tank said:

I am very sorry to hear that Frank has passed away. Frank and I not only shared Railways and Model Railways as our hobbies, we were both also Radio Amateur's. Frank was indeed a very knowledgeable character and will be sorely missed. R.I.P Frank.

P.S I've just read this thread https://www.facebook.com/groups/12699105116/permalink/10166429522395117/ 

It looks like Frank was in the process of getting back on-air, how very sad that he didn't make it. In the Amateur Radio world, Frank is now said to be SK (Silent Key). 

Yes Frank had started to get back interested in radio, as he was not in the best of health for carrying around heavy layouts, and he was going to visit my shack M0IUQ

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, sixteen 12by 10s said:

Yes Frank had started to get back interested in radio, as he was not in the best of health for carrying around heavy layouts, and he was going to visit my shack M0IUQ

Hi Gary, my call G4NVB maybe catch you the bands, mainly FT8 at the moment.

The late Frank Collins, The funeral has been arranged for the 23rd August. He will be leaving Sams Bostin Bites cafe in Oldhill B64 5RU (oldhill's finest dinning establishment) at 11.15 and the funeral is at Powke Lane crematorium B65 0AD at 11.30, Ironically the crematorium is less than 100yards from Cradley Heath Model Railway clubs rooms, which he played a big part in renovating when we moved two and a half years ago

10258981_584593694970444_685453755071226102_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, sixteen 12by 10s said:

the crematorium is less than 100yards from Cradley Heath Model Railway clubs rooms, which he played a big part in renovating when we moved two and a half years ago

very fitting Gary. Rest in peace Frank

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ive been out of the modelling community for about four years and I didnt know Frank had passed away.

He was a really nice chap. Gutted to hear.

RIP Frank,

Edited by 21A Desperado
  • Like 1