Dean Goods - shirtbutton livery example?

Hello,

This is my first post on rmweb after deciding to finally take the plunge and start a layout. As you can probably guess, I'm modelling GWR (in N) and plan to include a Dean Goods.

My question is, what would be the correct livery for a non war department Dean circa somewhere around 1942/43? I've got a lovely Union Mills model in green with Great Western livery on the way that I'd rather not repaint black, but I'm a bit stumped as to what livery would be most appropriate. 

I haven't been able to uncover any reference to a Dean sporting the shirtbutton on its tender outside of some RTR models. Would I be better off leaving the Great Western as is, or would that be an anachronism by this point in history?

Appreciate any light that could be shed on the matter Cheers!

Edited by Vostroyan
Typo

• RMweb Premium

Definitely in 1937:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt313.htm

gwrt313.jpg

It's quite possible that "Great Western" would be found on the tender if the loco hadn't had a repaint pre-war.

In one of my books there is a photo taken in (IIRC) July '39 with a 4-4-0 in good clean condition still sporting "Great Western"

EDIT.

Many of the pictures taken after 1939 have locos in a uniform crud colour where the insignia is difficult to determine

Edited by melmerby

8 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Plenty of Dean Goods received standard green and shirtbutton: here's 2419

2419-small.jpg.8c7fd0e53ea2f6f1a2d352e0d47ce23b.jpg

5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Definitely in 1937:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt313.htm

gwrt313.jpg

It's quite possible that "Great Western" would be found on the tender if the loco hadn't had a repaint pre-war.

In one of my books there is a photo taken in (IIRC) July '39 with a 4-4-0 in good clean condition still sporting "Great Western"

EDIT.

Many of the pictures taken after 1939 have locos in a uniform crud colour where the insignia is difficult to determine

Fantastic! Your research skills far exceed mine. Still learning where to look.

Thanks folks!

• RMweb Gold

There is every chance some Dean Goods were still in "Great Western" at that time.

In researching for what to paint a Cambrian Jones Goods immediately post war, I did a lot of research into what was about. One of the interesting pictures I found was this one of a Star having had a "wash coat" for the shirtbutton with the Great Western clearly visible underneath. After a few years the wash coat would rub back and you'd be able to see the original insignia as can be seen in this picture from Didcot's Going Loco blog. It's difficult to be sure but I would suggest this tender never had the shirtbutton and went straight from Great Western to GWR. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1