Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann D11/1s

nathan70000

Have Bachmann ever produced an LNER D11/1 (as in a GCR built and allocated example) in LNER livery? They've done quite a few GC ones and I think one BR liveried example but I'm struggling to find one in LNER livery. My thoughts had turned to motorising the GBL one and repainting it but Bachmann would do a far better job than me!

Ideally I'd want 5506 Butler Henderson in 1930s condition. I'm not quite sure whether it was black or green by the mid-thirties, there's plenty of photos online but none with dates attached sadly. It was definitely black by the end of the decade from the photographic evidence that exists.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

Have Bachmann ever produced an LNER D11/1 (as in a GCR built and allocated example) in LNER livery? They've done quite a few GC ones and I think one BR liveried example but I'm struggling to find one in LNER livery. My thoughts had turned to motorising the GBL one and repainting it but Bachmann would do a far better job than me!

Ideally I'd want 5506 Butler Henderson in 1930s condition. I'm not quite sure whether it was black or green by the mid-thirties, there's plenty of photos online but none with dates attached sadly. It was definitely black by the end of the decade from the photographic evidence that exists.

They did do D11/1 5511 'Marne' in early LNER green.  Bachmann appear to have since overloaded on D11/2s, especially in BR black, and D11/1s in GCR livery.  I'm hoping for a (re-)run in LNER black but Bachmann don't appear to be rushing to get around to that.

22 minutes ago, teaky said:

They did do D11/1 5511 'Marne' in early LNER green.  Bachmann appear to have since overloaded on D11/2s, especially in BR black, and D11/1s in GCR livery.  I'm hoping for a (re-)run in LNER black but Bachmann don't appear to be rushing to get around to that.

'Marne' was done as a limited edition for Model Rail, I've got one and it is a lovely model. They sometimes appear on eBay, sometime worth just searching for Model rail limited edition rather than Bachmann. I recall at the time the advert for it said that Bachmann would not be producing another in LNER green for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Apparently Marne was a limited edition of just 500 so it will be hard to track down!

It was however released in 2014, so perhaps enough time has passed for Bachmann to revisit apple green D11s? Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll be one in the announcement tomorrow!

The 1923-1933 period does seem to be a bit of a blind spot for Bachmann. They haven't done the O4 or the J11 in lined black either, and whilst they've issued a V3 in BR livery with the new chassis they haven't issued an LNER example.

18 hours ago, teaky said:

As I recall, this model was slow to shift and may have discouraged Bachmann from doing more in LNER livery. This was a great shame as I suspect it may have been due to an inaccuracy. The model carried the later long travel valve version of the reversing lever that was not introduced on the class until 1937 and not fitted to 5511 Marne until 1945.

In answer to the question in the OP, it is unlikely that any D11/1s were in LNER green by the 1930's as most would have visited 'shops' after June 1928 (Marne went to black on 11/5/29). Another minefield to avoid is the valance. These were removed from the class from 5/25 onwards. In the case of 511 it was outshopped in LNER livery (probably the GCR livery with L.& N.E.R (note ampersand and full points) in 1922. It probably lost these on 28/2/25 when it was given the LNER number 5511. There is a photo of it in this condition on p108 of Yeadon vol. 29 but with windshield attached. Therefore a narrow modelling window, even with the correct reversing lever.

I too hope an LNER version of the D11/1 may yet appear

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

Apparently Marne was a limited edition of just 500 so it will be hard to track down!

It was however released in 2014, so perhaps enough time has passed for Bachmann to revisit apple green D11s? Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll be one in the announcement tomorrow!

The 1923-1933 period does seem to be a bit of a blind spot for Bachmann. They haven't done the O4 or the J11 in lined black either, and whilst they've issued a V3 in BR livery with the new chassis they haven't issued an LNER example.

The lack of an LNER V3 disappointed me as well. As for the O4, seeing that Bachmann seems happy to spend the odd million on diesels, I think it would be wonderful if some of that found its way to producing all the sub-classes of O4.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, No Decorum said:

The lack of an LNER V3 disappointed me as well. As for the O4, seeing that Bachmann seems happy to spend the odd million on diesels, I think it would be wonderful if some of that found its way to producing all the sub-classes of O4.

you and I say wonderful. The 8 sub-classes (not including the O1 rebuild, which I'd argue should be included as the ninth) say 'commercially suicidal'

• Funny 1

Marne does appear on eBay very rarely. I'd been hunting for one for a good while and finally got one last month;

1428454596_PXL_20220722_161847207.NIGHT2.jpg.8a06bdd2f1844ce7fb63453f45213149.jpg

A few bits fell off in transit, but it was an easy fix and is a gorgeous loco.

Cheers,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Helmdon said:

you and I say wonderful. The 8 sub-classes (not including the O1 rebuild, which I'd argue should be included as the ninth) say 'commercially suicidal'

Funny you should say that. I agree that the Thompson O1 should really be an O4/9. Messing with the classifications caused problems. Commercially suicidal? I would have said that producing newly tooled models of diesels where adequate models already exist and two or even three manufacturers producing models of the same prototype would be commercial suicide but I strongly suspect that I’m totally wrong. Heljan’s O2 variations will provide some sort of indication, I suppose. I hope the muted discussion about that isn’t an indication of lack of popularity but it is early days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Funny you should say that. I agree that the Thompson O1 should really be an O4/9. Messing with the classifications caused problems. Commercially suicidal? I would have said that producing newly tooled models of diesels where adequate models already exist and two or even three manufacturers producing models of the same prototype would be commercial suicide but I strongly suspect that I’m totally wrong. Heljan’s O2 variations will provide some sort of indication, I suppose. I hope the muted discussion about that isn’t an indication of lack of popularity but it is early days.

Agree with all of that overall, but whereas even people in their 40s might reasonably be expected to have first hand memories of a lot of different 37s, the same is no longer true of O4s. I'm in my 40s and I know, but then there aren't many people my age (unless they're hiding from me) who determinedly model a small corner of Northants in the early 1950s and have made it their business to know. 

Basically, I think the pool to fish in is a lot smaller when it comes to O4/5s and potential customers. This is also one of the reasons why my B16, L3 and N5 all came from kits.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

Agree with all of that overall, but whereas even people in their 40s might reasonably be expected to have first hand memories of a lot of different 37s, the same is no longer true of O4s. I'm in my 40s and I know, but then there aren't many people my age (unless they're hiding from me) who determinedly model a small corner of Northants in the early 1950s and have made it their business to know. 

Basically, I think the pool to fish in is a lot smaller when it comes to O4/5s and potential customers. This is also one of the reasons why my B16, L3 and N5 all came from kits.

It is odd what catches people’s attention and difficult to predict what will. Hornby’s Rocket sold out quickly and I have an idea that Lion might too in one or other iterations. In retrospect, Heljan’s Falcon went on selling, such that one “limited edition” after another sold out and Bachmann’s SECR Wainwright C sold out within a week, if I recall correctly. That was most unusual at the time, That echoes on – just now Bachmann has announced a Dance Hall brake van. Bachmann was unsure of the spinning fan version of its new 47 and so produced very limited quantities to test the water. They disappeared faster than Paul Daniels could have done it. Not to the exclusion of everything else, I find big steam freighters fascinating. I hope I’m part of a large crowd.

• Like 2

On 01/08/2022 at 21:04, teaky said:

Just seen this on today pre-owned and thought you might be interested  Bachmann Branchline 31-137A-PO04 Class D11/2 4-4-0 6401 "James Fitzjames" (hattons.co.uk)

(Doesn't seem to be copying as a link but there's an LNER lined black one in todays pre-owned.

Edited by Karl
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Karl said:

Just seen this on today pre-owned and thought you might be interested  Bachmann Branchline 31-137A-PO04 Class D11/2 4-4-0 6401 "James Fitzjames" (hattons.co.uk)

(Doesn't seem to be copying as a link but there's an LNER lined black one in todays pre-owned.

yep nice model,

https://www.hattons.co.uk/948946/bachmann_branchline_31_137a_po04_class_d11_2_4_4_0_6401_james_fitzjames_in_lner_black_pre_owned_good_box/stockdetail

cheers,

Keith 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Karl said:

Thanks Karl.  That's thoughtful of you.  Unfortunately though it is a D11/2 i.e. Scottish region with several fittings altered to fit the smaller loading gauge.

I may end up altering one of these but since I'm in no hurry, I'll wait to see if Bachmann decide to produce a model for the main LNER period.

Unfortunately the D11/2s were rarely seen south of the border, and certainly not anywhere near the GC lines in Yorkshire, so they aren't much use!

I'd rather butcher a GBL model than a Bachmann one- the idea of messing about with a £120+ loco fills me with dread!

On 03/08/2022 at 10:33, No Decorum said:

Commercially suicidal? I would have said that producing newly tooled models of diesels where adequate models already exist and two or even three manufacturers producing models of the same prototype would be commercial suicide but I strongly suspect that I’m totally wrong. Heljan’s O2 variations will provide some sort of indication, I suppose. I hope the muted discussion about that isn’t an indication of lack of popularity but it is early days.

I think it's more of a reflection on the perceived poor quality of the original Heljan model. It had all sorts of problems with running and decoration IIRC.

I think almost anything will sell, and manufacturers are unduly cautious in avoiding pre-grouping prototypes. And people don't just model what they can remember, I wasn't born until almost the privatisation era but I find the steam era far more fascinating. 

The fact that the Clayton DHP-1 is apparently a viable RTR model in OO scale should have put paid to the idea that some things just won't sell! I'd quite like to see Hull and Barnsley locomotives produced which there aren't even kits available for, but I reckon enough people would buy a D24 or a Q10 to make them viable at least as a retailer commission. The D24 especially is a very handsome machine.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry, I couldn't find a D11/2 thread. 

Just wanted to find out if the D11/2's ever worked the West Highland Line. I'm aware this would be a special rather than regular occurrence but wanted to know if there was any evidence of this as a few were based at Eastfield.

On 19/07/2023 at 18:10, E100 said:

Sorry, I couldn't find a D11/2 thread. 

Just wanted to find out if the D11/2's ever worked the West Highland Line. I'm aware this would be a special rather than regular occurrence but wanted to know if there was any evidence of this as a few were based at Eastfield.

I can't say I've ever seen any evidence of such runs occurring, however two did end up in storage at Crianlarich shed.  No. 62675 and 62688.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JonathonAG said:

I can't say I've ever seen any evidence of such runs occurring, however two did end up in storage at Crianlarich shed.  No. 62675 and 62688.

Thanks for that information. Do you happen to remember where that information was from?

On 24/07/2023 at 22:06, E100 said:

Thanks for that information. Do you happen to remember where that information was from?

Shed Bash UK is one of the sources with notes the two D11's there in storage.  I'm sure there's a photo somewhere from memory, but for the life of me can't find where.

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2016/05/oban-ballachulish.html?m=1

• Thanks 1