What the Barclay have I bought ?

At last weekends Minehead toyfair I succumbed to two kit built locos,the first is a Kemilway 3mt tank with a portiscape and the second which I would like some help with knowing who's kit it is made from.the model is of a Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 saddle tank much like the Hattons so is more than likely the same prototype,

the model is heavy and the cab side sheets are heavy enough to be white metal kit with a etched brass chassis, which is interesting in that it has flat bottom plate with oiling slots in it the end of the vertical mounted motors worm is seen driving a intermediate gearwhich then drives the back axel mounted gear

i don't know if centre models did a A Barclay. Kit buts it's a bit fancy compared to my other centre model kits, DJH did a starter kit years ago of a industrial loco I think ?i understand someone else did a Barclay kit years ago but I can't remember who and searching the web just comes up Hattons which it isn't I know as I have one of them

P,S it was cheaper than a Hattons A, B but is just as cute

PPS the down side is the Mandy name plate ,,,,,,,I keep hearing barry manalow aaaaagh!

Edited by Graham456

• RMweb Gold

It came and it gave without taking...

I was looking at something similar in Lord & Butlers' excellent emporium last Friday, similar as you say to the Hatton's loco but with a longer wheelbase.  Lovely little performer, but Peter Lord didn't know it's provenance either!

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It came and it gave without taking...

I was looking at something similar in Lord & Butlers' excellent emporium last Friday, similar as you say to the Hatton's loco but with a longer wheelbase.  Lovely little performer, but Peter Lord didn't know it's provenance either!

Well happy to hear you only looked at it as I will be heading across the Bristol Channel v soon shame I have to drive the same amount if miles up the channel to cross that I then have to drive Back down the other side to get there as I am over due a visit!

mine has the same wheelbase as Hattons model so it's not the same version/type of Barclay from the sound of it

the old hamblins Knat looked a little bit like it with a longer w/b

cheers and thanks

2 hours ago, 41516 said:

DJH did a Barclay as the WM

steam starter alongside the 02. Mercian models also did an etched kit for at least one size of Barclay too.

I thought DJH did it as a starter kit but wasn't certain that was a Barclay

thank you it all helps 

3 hours ago, Graham456 said:

At last weekends Minehead toyfair I succumbed to two kit built locos,the first is a Kemilway 3mt tank with a portiscape and the second which I would like some help with knowing who's kit it is made from.the model is of a Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 saddle tank much like the Hattons so is more than likely the same prototype,

the model is heavy and the cab side sheets are heavy enough to be white metal kit with a etched brass chassis, which is interesting in that it has flat bottom plate with oiling slots in it the end of the vertical mounted motors worm is seen driving a intermediate gearwhich then drives the back axel mounted gear

i don't know if centre models did a A Barclay. Kit buts it's a bit fancy compared to my other centre model kits, DJH did a starter kit years ago of a industrial loco I think ?i understand someone else did a Barclay kit years ago but I can't remember who and searching the web just comes up Hattons which it isn't I know as I have one of them

P,S it was cheaper than a Hattons A, B but is just as cute

PPS the down side is the Mandy name plate ,,,,,,,I keep hearing barry manalow aaaaagh!

Is there a photo perchance? 🥸

4 hours ago, 41516 said:

DJH did a Barclay as the WM steam starter alongside the 02. Mercian models also did an etched kit for at least one size of Barclay too.

Link to @Phil Parker's  12" Barclay blog entries and old thread, sadly sans photos.

Ooh, by happy coincidence I've just acquired a Mercian Models 14" Barclay chassis, on the off chance that it would suit a 12" Barclay that I want to build. That blog entry will be VERY useful. Thanks 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Is there a photo perchance? 🥸

Sadly I am useing very ancient I pad 6 which I think is eleven years old and I have never found out how to reduce the image size from what this thing takes to a acceptable file size particularly with a line speed of 2mb only if the kids in the hamlet aren't online !

i know a picture is worth a thousand words particularly as it would show the interesting gear drive the top after all is a Barclay just like the Hattons one even with the same size cylinders as Hattons though I understand Hattons use the same size for all the variations of cylinder size that  Barclay made

so at the mo no pictures but fibre was being installed at the end of May!!!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Graham456 said:

If I started with the BM impression - or indeed 10CC - my good lady would probably take a rusty blade to me...

A loco with her name on, though, might score some brownie points...

Mark

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Graham456 said:

Well happy to hear you only looked at it as I will be heading across the Bristol Channel v soon shame I have to drive the same amount if miles up the channel to cross that I then have to drive Back down the other side to get there as I am over due a visit!

mine has the same wheelbase as Hattons model so it's not the same version/type of Barclay from the sound of it

the old hamblins Knat looked a little bit like it with a longer w/b

cheers and thanks

But I didn't just look at it, I asked Peter Lord to put it aside for me pending buying it...

I know what you mean about going miles to the east and then the same distance west, though, puts about 2 hours on the already long schlep to Cornwall from Cardiff.  That said, I'm old enough to remember the pre-1969 world before the Severn Bridge, and before the M5 for that matter.  There was a choice, or more like a number of Hobson's choices; the train ferry through the Severn Tunnel (Planet Johnster Prime, I loved it, of course) which you had to book for, the Beachley-Aust ferry, which you had to queue for hours for, or the pretty way via Gloucester, which added about 4 hours to the journey by the time you got back to the longitude of Cardiff somewhere in the Weston-Super-Mare area.  Cornwall was a full day's run in those days, and that was if the traffic was kind to you!

21 hours ago, MarkC said:

A loco with her name on, though, might score some brownie points...

Mark

I am Well a head of you here! 

aged three I was given a Little  blue loco named Nellie. Who still races around fifty seven years on, 

and I am married to a Nell !

now hopefully back to the who made the Barclay fingers crossed!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2022 at 22:29, The Johnster said:

But I didn't just look at it, I asked Peter Lord to put it aside for me pending buying it...

I've found out a bit more about this loco now, with the assistance of the most excellent denizens of the Industrial topics.  It is a 'Kingdom' kit, fold-up brass chassis and whitemetal bits, apparently dating from the 80s.  The 'Kingdom' referred to is possible the Kingdom of Fife, as the company was based there.  This is suitable because the model is of a 'Fife Area Standards' loco, a development of the AB 16" 0-4-0ST to the specifications of the NCB's Fife & Clackmannan area in 1949.  Basically, a 16" with the wheelbase extended from 6' to 7', and the tank & boiler extended by the same amount, so the loco had a greater tube area than the standard 16" and was heavier.  The Wemyss Private Railway had some as well.

I have no idea why the NCB Fife and Clackmannan people wanted these modifications to the standard loco, but AB were happy to oblige, although of course the 'Fife Specials' cost more.  There must have been some reason, perhaps longer distance working needing increased water capacity and the better ride of a longer wheelbase, but that is pure guesswork on my part!

The difference in appearance compared to the standard 16" Andrew Barclay as modelled by Hatton's as an RTR loco is noticeable  The Fife engines look noticeably heavier and bulkier, and give a greater impression of brutal power.  The Kingdom model is apparently not up to the mark in several respects, and seems to have been difficult to build properly (my loco is very well constructed and finished).  The chimney, cyldinder castings, and the spectacle plate windows are points of criticism over on the industrial topics, and the kit, including my loco, has round spectacle windows instead of the usual Barclay pattern.  Some Barclays had such windows, but not any of the Fife engines.

Several are preserved.

Well thank you all especially 5050 and the johnster for temptation dangling  , so I have bought a D,J,H Barclay 14"  loco I have just spent ages this morning reading the industrial section  shame I didn't look in their first ,  but then knowing where to look is easy if you know what to look for ! I mean fancy a industrial loco turning up in the industrial section ???? DOH !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is my Kingdom Barclayas finished some years ago.

895811635_BarclayPreweather.3.A.jpg.b9ad46efcc195cf59c01bcdc94219de6.jpg

The chimney is really to tall but the kit one was, to put it politely - no blinkin' good!  Soon after the photo was taken it went into the Ruston paintshops for a light weathering.

And this is my version of the chassis.

41955696_BarclayChassiscomplete.A.jpg.cca419ba712e040c93772440f168bf97.jpg

High Level gearbox and Mashima motor with Gibson wheels.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just squizzed a yt vid of a 7mm LNER layout called Posil Road Basin from the Southampton show, which had a Fife AB shunting back and forth on it.   This looks to be the same as the ‘Kingdom’ 4mm loco, with the same round spectacle windows and other problems.  No idea who made it, but it’s presumably a kit and if Kingdom didn’t produce a 7mm version then somebody has either based the model off theirs or produced a 7mm kit from the same information.  

• RMweb Premium

I recall Kingdom Kits was run by Pete Westwater, well known in Fife railway circles, who decades ago worked with Ian Kirk.

Johnster’s post from last Tuesday is basically correct. I recall the prototypes puggies shunting at Frances Colliery, Dysart in 1976-7 and getting a footplate ride.

Mass cast whitemetal is a bit last century now. Good luck!

Dava