Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Traintronics Signals

The Black Hat

Hello all,

Im wondering if anyone has had luck using DCC with Traintronics signals. I have bought some and hooked them up to a Bachmann dynamis system and decoder but the bulb only seems to be faintly lit, if at all. Has anyone else had luck with attempting to marry the two systems together and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks in advance

David

• 6 months later...

I have had a go with this myself the other night and found out why they don't work, the signal is wired up backwards. The common return wire from the signal is actually a common output and the 2 wires that go to each signal actually bring the current back. I tried wiring it up back to front and I managed to get 1 bulb lit - sadly you cannot get both to work based on this rather strange wiring set-up. Obviously you can buy a DCC circuit board for the signal but I fail to see why anyone sohuld have to payv £10 for a board to correct something that should not need doing.

Possibly a bit late now that you have already bought the decoder, but if you need more or can use your current decoder for other applications, you could try the following LDT signal decoder:

http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/english/home_frame_e.htm

These decoders allow you to control up to four three aspect signals, and jumpers on them allow you to set common anode OR common cathode for LED signals, as well as IIRC DC or AC for the output.

No connection just a satisfied user.

I have had a go with this myself the other night and found out why they don't work, the signal is wired up backwards. The common return wire from the signal is actually a common output and the 2 wires that go to each signal actually bring the current back. I tried wiring it up back to front and I managed to get 1 bulb lit - sadly you cannot get both to work based on this rather strange wiring set-up. Obviously you can buy a DCC circuit board for the signal but I fail to see why anyone sohuld have to payv £10 for a board to correct something that should not need doing.

The "circuit board" you refer to is more than that - it is in fact a DCC decoder that allows operation of the range of Traintronics signals using a DCC controller.

I have suggested to Traintronics that they revise the wiring on new production runs to provide those of us using DCC with a common positive connection.

I have suggested to Traintronics that they revise the wiring on new production runs to provide those of us using DCC with a common positive connection.

A good move, I think.

The few signal manufacturers that are out there don't seem to have anticipated the preference most potential customers will now have nowadays for a common positive connection to suit DCC decoders and other 'open collector' electronic drive devices which switch the return path instead.

I believe Berko signals are the same, necessitating a similar prompt into action on the matter.

The "circuit board" you refer to is more than that - it is in fact a DCC decoder that allows operation of the range of Traintronics signals using a DCC controller.

Just out of interest, do you know if you need 1 decoder circuit board per signal or can 1 board work a number of signals? If this is a decoder as well it makes them appealing again.

Just out of interest, do you know if you need 1 decoder circuit board per signal or can 1 board work a number of signals? If this is a decoder as well it makes them appealing again.

It's one board per signal but as an accessory decoder it means it can be used in conjunction with other devices, such as point decoders for example, to provide some semi-automated control - e.g. using the NCE macro facility. It can also, of course, be part of any fully automated system.

The board allows control of more than just 2 aspect signals, so gives full control of 3 and 4 aspect signals with/without feathers. It can also be used on non-DCC layouts.

The device comes with a basic set of instructions. There is supposed to be a set of advanced instructions available, but I'm still waiting for those...... getting information from Traintronics is rather like pulling hens' teeth! I did, at last, get the advanced instructions for their new point motor/decoder yesterday!!

Archived