Acrylic & enamel paints-compatibility?

• RMweb Gold

I've got a couple of coaches to finish spraying in BR blue, and I've run out of BR blue enamel. Both have had about 2 thin coats of enamel,  but need another 1, possibly 2 coats.

I've got a tin of Humbrol acrylic BR blue (the enamel is Humbrol as well)-can I use the acrylic on top of the enamel without it reacting?

Thanks, Neil

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well done for not reading the linked-to content and continuing that old wives tale.

edit

I was replying to a post that is now gone, not to rodent279.

Edited by Nile
  • Agree 4

What goes on top of what depends to some extent how the paint is being applied. I have sprayed cellulose over enamel with no Ill effects but would not recommend it. I sprayed with an airbrush with lots of air and very fine spray so that the paint had little solvent left when it landed. Try it with a rattle can and you get a disaster. The propellant in rattle cans is cellulose based so that any auto paint (acrylic) will act like a cellulose. Enamel can be applied over acrylic or cellulose. Acrylic (non rattlecan) can be applied over enamel or cellulose. Rattlecan over rattlecan, cellulose over cellulose only.

The other myth is solvents. Enamel solvent, white spirit, will not affect cured enamel, acrylic or cellulose. Likewise acrylic thinners will not affect any cured paint. Cellulose thinners will destroy any paint except oven baked proprietary finishes.

I hope this clears things up.

Ian R

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8