32-389 Class 37 - 37421

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Simple request, I recently purchased a Bachmann 32-389 Class 37, 37421 and noticed that one of the sprung buffers has gone missing.  They we’re all there when it first arrived, so must have gone walk about when fitting a DCC chip.  Before I contact Bachmann, does anyone have the correct part number as all I can find is generic oval buffers or those for older Bachmann 37’s.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thanks for that and duly ordered.  Shame it’s the whole frame that’s got to be swopped out.

• RMweb Gold

As I’ve got to swop the frame out and re-attach the bogies, cabs, pcb board etc onto the new frame, and as it’s probably only going to be semi permanently attached to 37025 which has DCC and sound, is it possible to run it without the motor and just a normal DCC chip in the pcb board?

As it’s difficult to match a DCC sound chip with a non-sound version because of their starting speeds, just thought it might be nice (and cheaper) way to run them together, both having their DCC lighting functions.

Anyone see any problems?  Please form a orderly queue 🤪

Edited by jools1959
Spelling

43 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

As I’ve got to swop the frame out and re-attach the bogies, cabs, pcb board etc onto the new frame, and as it’s probably only going to be semi permanently attached to 37025 with has DCC and sound, is it possible to run it without the motor and just a normal DCC chip in the pcb board?

As it’s difficult to match a DCC sound chip with a non-sound version because of their starting speeds, just thought it might be nice (and cheaper) way to run them together, both having their DCC lighting functions.

Anyone see any problems?  Please form a orderly queue 🤪

It should be possible, the motor could be left fitted but not connected to the board/decoder. Remove the drive shafts, so basically it's a dummy with decoder/lights. The decoder may require the motor connected to program it, and then disconnect it.

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text
  • Thanks 1

I have one of those locos, you shouldn’t need to swap the whole frame as the buffers are sprung and are a separate part. Contact Bachmann spares direct and they can sort you out. I was sent a buffer with spring FOC when I did exactly the same thing to another of my 37s.

Edited by scouse889
  • Like 1