Lima Blue Class 47 D1957

drgj

I have a blue class 47 D1957 from which I would like to remove the double arrows because they are a bit large, I think. Does Lima printing come off in some way without damaging the paint?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by drgj

Dab of white spirit on a cotton bud. Make sure the cotton bud is nearly dry by blotting on kitchen roll, before gently rubbing over the arrows.

Use a clean dry bud after to tidy up and take off any traces of white spirit. Turps should also do the trick, also any thinner for enamel paint , but NOT cellulose.

Go very gently with a minimum of fluid.

John.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, drgj said:

I have a blue class 47 D1957 from which I would like to remove the double arrows because they are a bit large, I think. Does Lima printing come off in some way without damaging the paint?

Thanks

Dave

Be very careful, if I remember correctly the paint is really thin and you'll be seeing the yellow bodyshell in no time.

Thanks for the new replies.

I had a look at photos of the locos that came out in blue livery when new and the double arrows are big but the Lima ones look even bigger  but I may be wrong. 

Will be careful of the thin paint and will try the sellotape trick.

The arrows on Lima's D1957 were definitely too big. A shame as to date this has been the only RTR model of one of these nine early blue 47s (although if Trix had produced their sort-of-OO model In the late 1960s the blue one would have been D1959).

In the past I successfully used Modelstrip paste to completely remove the large logos and numbers from a 1980-vintage Lima Class 50 50043 whilst leaving the paint unmarked. A few months ago I tried the same on a Lima Class 73 73105 (I want to do E6018 with its wrap-around yellow ends) and the numbers went but the Modelstrip didn't touch the logos at all. The printing method for the logos had changed at some point in the 1980s. I believe @GD is correct regarding the thinness of Lima paint (which was apparently carried over to Vitrains) so I think I'm going to have to get the paint out. I had hoped to avoid that 🙄!

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for that.  The yellow ends don't  extend  far enough down the body side either and Lima filled the space between the this and the doors with the logos.  I will repaint the ends by airbrush but didn't want to do a full repaint because the numbers are ok. Applying individual number digits is my least favourite thing and I am too thrifty to buy the Fox 47 sheet just for one loco. I have done a lima class 47 before.

Here is a pic of the one I did before but this was a full re spray. I have posted this before but I think the pictures were lost during the big crash.  I flush glazed the front windscreens  by cutting out the original Lima ones and fixing them flush. I didn't bother with the side windows. I added handrails, etc.

post-11423-0-77860600-1363715455_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I meant to post a pic of my Lima D1957 with the new yellow paint and smaller arrows. Here it is. I extended the yellow warning panel further round the sides and the smaller double arrows fit in properly.  i also the front glazing from the moulding and moved them forward for a more flush glazed look like in the other 47 pic earlier in the thread.

Dave

IMGP4031.JPG

• Like 5

• drgj changed the title to Lima Blue Class 47 D1957