Diesel depot deliveries

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Over the years I’ve started various depot layouts but never got around to finishing them, now I’m fully happy with my plan etc my attention is turning to what to run etc.

All depots or servicing points would need deliveries of oil and other supplies along with fuel if they have storage facilities but what wagons would be used, open wagons, box vans?

It would be great if someone had information on the formations used for such deliveries especially in the early days around the mid 60’s.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

As well as the diesel fuel tanks, lubrication oil and other chemicals comes in drums, possibly in sheeted opens or vans though more likely by road in more recent times.  If there is a maintenance facility there may be a weekly ‘ENPARTS’ van in earlier periods, up to the 80s, before which a departmental open for the sand house should make a regular appearance as well.  If the maintenance facility can lift a loco off it’s bogies, then wheelsets and even entire bogies, engines on lowmacs or bogie wells, and other big lumps like generators and traction motors might appear occasionally, but not often.  

Much depends on your period; practices have become very different since privatisation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Most vehicles would be part of the revenue fleet, for example Highs and 16t Minfits bringing in brake shoes (and taking the old ones away). 12t Vanfits would bring in bags of sand. 

For other materials, there were various vehicles dedicated to carrying spares:-

'Enparts' vans were a selection of former passenger-rated vehicles used on the WR to bring in parts from Swindon, and return old ones for reconditioning. The fleet had been established in GWR days, and progressively updated over time

The LMR had a fleet of 6-wheel Fish Vans branded 'Stores'; an excellent kit being available from Chivers Finelines in 4mm. They also had a selection of former 'Specials' which took entire power units, bogies etc, between Crewe and Derby works , and to the larger depots.

There was a fleet of wagons branded 'Denparts', used to carry diesel parts; these had three wooden boxes, with detachable lids. I mainly saw these on the LMR and WR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Most vehicles would be part of the revenue fleet, for example Highs and 16t Minfits bringing in brake shoes (and taking the old ones away). 12t Vanfits would bring in bags of sand. 

For other materials, there were various vehicles dedicated to carrying spares:-

'Enparts' vans were a selection of former passenger-rated vehicles used on the WR to bring in parts from Swindon, and return old ones for reconditioning. The fleet had been established in GWR days, and progressively updated over time

The LMR had a fleet of 6-wheel Fish Vans branded 'Stores'; an excellent kit being available from Chivers Finelines in 4mm. They also had a selection of former 'Specials' which took entire power units, bogies etc, between Crewe and Derby works , and to the larger depots.

There was a fleet of wagons branded 'Denparts', used to carry diesel parts; these had three wooden boxes, with detachable lids. I mainly saw these on the LMR and WR.

I think ‘Denparts’ was to do with dmu parts. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I think ‘Denparts’ was to do with dmu parts. 

Spot on Johnster. These wagons conveyed DMU engines and gear boxes between the works and depots, old ones going in reverse.

Brake blocks could turn up in vac braked opens (later OBAs). Lub oil would usually turn up in tanks, certain oils would come via road motors in 45,25,10 or 5 gallon drums.

Spares depending on depot could come via the Enparts system or road motors.

Most depots depending on era had vans and/or lorry.

other ways of getting items to a depot was by service train, usually smaller items using the UVS system.

Al Taylor

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, 45125 said:

Spares depending on depot could come via the Enparts system or road motors.

Most depots depending on era had vans and/or lorry.

other ways of getting items to a depot was by service train, usually smaller items using the UVS system.

Spares or supplies in the mid to late 80s were being delivered by Swift Transport IIRC, as the old Syphons were well on their way out by then.

And there were plenty of UVS requests about, Urgent Vehicle Standing for those that didn't know....

• Like 1