GER W&U Train Packs

rapidoandy

Ah yes Rob, I had forgotten about that little booklet, because It was not with the others in my bookcase, now rectified. As you say, a nice preface from The Rev. W. Awdry , writing it when the tramway was still open, just! I must have seen him about at the time, but my innocent youth didn't know who he was then.  I did meet his son Christopher at an exhibition many years later though.

Tod

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No, not too long at all going by a conversation had with Rapido on Wednesday. 

I'm looking forward to my blue job arriving. 

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am very excited for this! Like so many I was very disappointed that the original J70 release didn't come with GER versions, although I fully understand what a risk it would have been for Model Rail at the time. It's wonderful that over the last few years pre-grouping has become so normal 👌

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I am very happy right now!

20231213_103208.jpg.43b802dd5d262ce5bdebb06cef81f10e.jpg

These are superb

20231213_104023.jpg.996750e3cda193c9a2f1d2ba6780c9c1.jpg

20231213_104019.jpg.75a35a61fcf26d14449bc701f4c264e7.jpg

20231213_104106.jpg.e22e04a7020c258ebb1229c90622d0c7.jpg

20231213_104041.jpg.4a223991d86b5f2647e6a8203a83a062.jpg

20231213_104051.jpg.2a76ecd1c933bd0b55e624e27a83a4cf.jpgWell done Rapido!

They look splendid. I have Rapido's 1950s equivalents and am looking forward to picking up my GER versions. 

Regarding the J70, does it come with any etched plates ? 

Rob. 

12 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

They look splendid. I have Rapido's 1950s equivalents and am looking forward to picking up my GER versions. 

Regarding the J70, does it come with any etched plates ? 

Rob. 

No, Rob, no etched plates.

In an ideal world I'd add a number plate for one of the earliest of the class, and change the buffers to suit a prototype of my choosing. 

Nor do they come with the alternative cowcatchers. The only cow catchers are the ones fitted, with big gaps in them for the tension lock couplings.

If there is anyone out there with one of the J70s who uses tension locks and has a spare set of the alternative cowcatchers, I'd be grateful to hear from them!

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you. Now that surprises me and I have to say, sadly, I see that as a retrograde step by Rapido. 

Scope for a bit of 3D printing methinks......

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

They don't come with replacement cow catchers? Oh, well that is really quite disappointing.

I must say, I had assumed they would, and did not discover until checking the accessory bag just now!

As I intend to use screw/3 links, I would have fitted the ones without the tension lock holes.  

I would happily pay extra for them if they were made available as spares. I don't think Model Rail do spares for the J70s, but others may know more of course.  

EDIT: I dare say you could print them, but they would surely be very fragile. Horses for courses I suggest that the metal used by Rapido was the best option and, so, yes, it's a bit of a problem for the non-tension lock user not to have the alternative cow catchers supplied with the Model Rail locos. Also, the very thing we need exists, so re-inventing the cowcatcher  ... well, it feels like something we shouldn't have to do!

Compromises are inevitable, though I was not expecting this particular one. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Would a 3D print capture just how fine they are?

I would imagine so, just how fine are they?

10 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I dare say you could print them

they would surely be very fragile

I would agree with both statements.

Personally I think they would be strong enough from a decorative point of view but they definitely wouldn't be strong enough to catch a cow

If I had one to copy I have no doubt I could draw something up and 3D print it

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is a good lesson in why it's always bad to assume. We assumed they would have replacement ones because the MR ones did, but it was never guaranteed.

Shame. This has honestly dampened a lot of my excitement.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Agree 1

So, I'm going to wax lyrical about these, only the second third standard gauge specific to prototype pre-Grouping coaches release RTR. 

I think they will be justly praised for the balcony detail, but, for me, my inner coach nerd thrills at features like the profile of the waist beading; a stylistic hangover from the 1860-1870s really, but so wonderful to see in crisply moulded plastic, a feature etched brass cannot really capture.

And then there are those bulbous GE vents in the eaves panel. Crucially, they are discernably sitting inside the recessed panel. Just like the real thing!

Then there are the roof fittings and the gas lamps seen on the verandahs. I do congratualate those involved at Rapido, because this really is a superb job. 

It would be great to see Rapido tackle other pre-Grouping coaching stock, because these are so beautifully done. Perhaps a T26 and a rake of GE 6-wheelers would be nice!  

image.png.d676b07fce4f02741da68d96c9af717f.png

Edited by Edwardian
corrections!
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

only the second standard gauge pre-Grouping coaches releases RTR. 

Gnit-picking, of course, but have there not been both the Bachmann SECR 60 ft stock and, recently, the EFE LSWR carriages? That's only in 4 mm scale; there's also Dapol's O gauge Stroudley 4-wheelers. And, indeed, there is an implicit "accurate to a specific prototype" in your statement... 

27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Gnit-picking, of course, but have there not been both the Bachmann SECR 60 ft stock and, recently, the EFE LSWR carriages? That's only in 4 mm scale; there's also Dapol's O gauge Stroudley 4-wheelers. And, indeed, there is an implicit "accurate to a specific prototype" in your statement... 

I felt 4mm/OO was implied from the context. Overall, as well as in 009 the first might be said to be Peco's Lynton & Barnstaple, but I do not grant them that as the tooling is for the Southern condition, even where the livery applied is pre-Grouping.

So, the Bachmann SE&CR were the first. I stand corrected regarding the EFE coaches; I had not realised they had been released in LSWR livery. I will break out the Weddell and see how they stack up in the original livery. Are these the ones PC did many moons ago?

So, yes, the third!

Generics, much as I praise them, don't count as, yes, "accurate to a specific prototype" was also implied! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I would imagine so, just how fine are they?

I would agree with both statements.

Personally I think they would be strong enough from a decorative point of view but they definitely wouldn't be strong enough to catch a cow

If I had one to copy I have no doubt I could draw something up and 3D print it

That could be arranged..............

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to say, the more I think about this, the more I see it as a bit of a let down on Rapido's part. 

Model Rails locos all included both etched parts and alternative cow catchers. It's not a deal breaker as such but given the cost of these packs, supplying a small sheet of etchings and two plastic parts would have finished the pack off nicely. 

Are the additional parts supplied with the coaches as well ? 

Rob. 

• Agree 2