Ipswich top yard 1980s track layout help please

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to find out part of the track layout at Ipswich in the 1980s, at the time of electrification. I've got a couple of hand drawn track plans that show a pair of double slips at the Up end of the top yard, which ties up with my memory of working there then. I've also found the NLS Ordinance Survey maps that show track layouts from the 1920s that have the slips at the time the goods shed existed - as well as a lot of other track that had gone by the 1980s... https://maps.nls.uk/view/114502285

Google earth only shows the plan from the 90s onwards when the slips had been removed.

Untitled.png.2781625f799fdeb4dde32b1cae85f3a1.png

I've got photos from the Down end of the yard with the pair of slips in place there that disappeared before the Up end ones did but no photos of the Up end slips or where their connections went. The positions of the slips themselves is as shown here in blue.

Can anyone help please?

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

Have you tried the National Library of Scotland?

A friend put me onto this for historical maps & I thought it was rather odd that maps of English places should be available from Scotland, but it was quite useful for London. It is inconsistent outside of London though, but you may find something useful.

Oops. Should have clicked your link first. 😳

Edited by Pete the Elaner

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Pete the Elaner said:

Have you tried the National Library of Scotland?

A friend put me onto this for historical maps & I thought it was rather odd that maps of English places should be available from Scotland, but it was quite useful for London. It is inconsistent outside of London though, but you may find something useful.

Thank you for the suggestion but yes, there is an NLS link in my first post.

Andi

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Bumping this at a different time of day in the hope that others may see it and be able to help?

Andi

I've pm'ed you a photo of the appropriate 1988 Quail (don't want to post copyright material).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, dickiegrid100 said:

Have you tried any of the Facebook groups. Ally of local railmen on Anglia gen may be able to assist

richard. 

Thank you for the suggestion but I don’t do Facebook any more, haven’t logged in to my account for well over a year and no desire to go back to it. 

Most of the useful photos I have been able to find so far have come from a Flickr group about Ipswich station and yards 

Andi

I have a feeling that I might actually have some sort of (railway produced) plan of the Upper Yard here at home - but the problem is likely to be finding the thing as most of my rail related paperwork was packed away in boxes when I moved house a couple of years ago - and that's where the stuff is still sitting!

I'll have a quick look this coming weekend to see if I can find it.........

I remember looking at it when I was sorting/packing the stuff away and thinking "where did I get that from??"!

Failing that, I am aware of someone (not local) who has built an N layout of the whole Station/Upper Yard area in their post-electrified state, so I might be able to find out their source(s) of track layout information via a friend of mine who knows the person concerned.

• RMweb Gold

I'm still looking for photos/maps/plans that showed the elusive slips, but also to add to the request does anyone have photos of the shunter's cabin/TOPS office building in the yard, or of the signal box that became a shunter's cabin at the down end of the yard by London Road bridge please?

Andi