• RMweb Gold

Superb atmosphere already though evidently not Chickentown...

That same skinhead is threatening the same bunch of punks across the platforms on my Dagworth layout too! See https://www.flickr.com/photos/dagworth/albums/72157631808772864

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Baseboard construction:

The layout is made from a plane square edge (PSE) timber frame, with 5mm plywood top, and foam board surface layer.

The PSE was cut with a second fix saw and a mitre joint saw box. The 5mm ply was cut with a tenon saw.

Track is mounted on EVA foam to help create a ballast shoulder later on. I've used Peco Code 100 because I find it easier to mount stock on it, and it's intended to integrate with a Code 100 continuous run when not removed for display. The track plan is essentially four straight lanes, with two platforms. The ends of the track have copper clad sleepers to add structural integrity, and brass rod and tube to connect it to a fiddle yard or the home continuous run.

Given that ballasting is a toward-the-end task, to avoid working on a bare surface, I like to use Rustoleum textured stone spray paint to create a pseudo-ballast surface. Hopefully this comes across in the photo.

It makes it look more tolerable than bare wood or foam, especially when doing early progress photos. I will only finish the real ballasting once I've finished fitting the catenary.

Coming next: Wiring information.

IMG_20220627_103317618.jpg

IMG_20220716_193538867_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sammyboy said:

The station on your layout reminds me a lot about changing trains in Birmingham New Street!

Sam

Birmingham New Street was an annual part of trips to Warley Show, and although not my favourite experience during the renovation period, I've definitely been attracted to its charm as a large scale intermediate station, and it is a rather hallowed ground for blue diesel and electric locos of some calibre.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wiring information:

The layout essentially has four lanes of straight track.

16/0.2 dropper wire and 24/0.2 track bus wire was used, as supplied by CM3 Models using a power distribution board and DCC bus line filter from Brimal Components (no connections other than as a satisfied customer). 

The distribution board acts as a means for the two power outputs to be distributed to the track via screw-secure terminals rather than having to strip and solder every connection. Though perhaps overkill, I added dropper wires at the beginning and end of each lane. As each lane is only about 3.5 foot, I deemed that sufficient and only really wanted to mitigate against a power loss if a loose connection occured.

The DCC bus bar line filter is soldered between the two bus wires at their end. It has no polarity so can go either way. As I understand it, it protects against DCC voltage spikes.

The photograph shows an early stage of the wiring, with a hub-and-spoke arrangement from the power distribution board. I would have preferred a linear array of wires fixed at right angles, but the starburst wiring was more resource efficient on the length of wire I had in hand.

IMG_20220720_203449214~2.jpg

Edited by GraemeWatson
Formatting
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Station super structure

The super structure was intended to be representative of an urban through station, and Birmingham New Street certainly provided some inspiration. The prototype wasn't traditionally one of my favourite stations, though I find it much improved and easier to navigate than ever before.

I've never built anything like this (e.g. modern) before so it was an opportunity to try something new and have fun. I also wanted to have catenary, so I was mindful of a suitable height and used some spare Dapol catenary masts as a height gauge.

The floors and road surface were made using 3mm plywood and foam board secured by PVA glue. Foam board can warp over time, as can 3mm ply, but in my experience this combination is better and remains sturdy yet light.

The station pillars were cut from PSE timber. The unique thing here is that the fixed width of the PSE becomes a fixed height when turned on its side to become a pillar. Trying to cut six pillars of the same height is more tricky than cutting six of a similar width. At the very least, a fixed height means everything above should remain straight.

The pillars were backed with decorative pine wood strip to create curved edges, as were the long segments of the concrete sides. The decorative pine strip allows for the subtle introduction of curves for a trendy concrete shape feel.

Pillars and sides were coated with DAS Air Dry clay (white). This was rolled flat with a rolling pin, using two thick bits of plasticard as a height gauge at either side of the flat clay; this ensures that the same thickness is achieved each time, as the plasticard prevents the rolling pin from flattening the clay beyond the required depth. The clay was affixed directly onto the wood with neat PVA glue spread liberally on its surface. It was then tactically scored with a clay scribe to simulate moulded sections. It was then allowed to dry for 72 hours. During the drying steps, I kept an eye on the clay and either added water with a paint brush on any cracking sections, or made a running repair with fresh clay. Any cracks that did occur were very minor.

Once dry, dry wet-and-dry sandpaper was used to smooth it over, and to remove any thumbprints on the clay surface.

The clay covered pillars and sides were then painted with Hobbycraft acrylic paint conveniently called "concrete". One coat with a slightly watered down paint, which was readily absorbed by the clay, and then more or less immediately after with neat paint.

The photos show the layered foam board/3mm floor as well as the fixed height pillars cut from PSE. They finish off with the clay pillars and sides prior to sanding and painting.

IMG_20220719_171009960.jpg

IMG_20220719_171148892.jpg

IMG_20220722_215232663.jpg

Edited by GraemeWatson
Formatting
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Basic Scenic overview

For the platforms, I have used Peco platform kits and used their separately available concrete sides; these were primed and given base coat acrylic sprays of Humbrol light grey and desert yellow respectively. Weathering to follow in due course.

The backscene is a Gaugemaster GM706 large industrial backscene (300mm high approx). This was glued onto the 3mm ply and 5mm foam board composite backboard with Deluxe Materials View Glue. Bubbles were removed by rolling over the backscene with a clean sponge paint roller.

The backscene is an unusual choice granted. Most commercially available backscenes I considered present either industrial warehouses or variations of country suburbs. I really wanted a more harsh Northern/Midlands industrial feel.

There's a market somewhere for someone to make a composite photo of concrete buildings but avoiding anything too glassy and present day. The only other one I considered was a Peco Concrete City Scape, but I didn't really think the cartoon type backscene would work "for me" on this occasion.

The basic retaining wall as seen at this stage is made from 5mm foam board with white EVA glued to the surface (Bostik multi-purpose glue). This was then painted with the same Hobbycraft acrylic paint colour "concrete".

The photos show the backscene in situ, as well as a general overview of the platform arrangement and concrete style superstructure.

The track is laid upon 3mm EVA foam which will aid the formation of a shoulder later, and the remaining ground surface shows the textured paint quite nicely. This is not in lieu of definitive ballasting, but helps kill the otherwise bare foam baseboard surface and allows for better update photos until the ballasting is complete.

IMG_20220729_212225898.jpg

IMG_20220729_212825601.jpg

Edited by GraemeWatson
Extra detail added
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Major layout buildings:

Pavement

The pavement is made from grey EVA foam. The paving slabs were hand-scored using a steel ruler and a fresh scalpel. Wills kits Victoria paving slabs were used as a template for sizing. The kerb edging was painted with "concrete" colour acrylic.

The station is a Bachmann post-war system built concrete station and canopy (44-0013 and 44-0015). I was attracted to this product because it fit the overall aesthetic I was going for, but I've also not seen it used anywhere else online. Canopies and covered walkways were something I recall from the "modern" urban landscapes I remember, many of which no longer exist. Election posters featuring Margaret Thatcher adorn the station, which place the layout in the era of history around the time of the General Strike of 1979 (see below for additional information about that).

The Social Club is a disguised Bachmann Red Star Parcels building. I designed and printed my own pub sign and named it "The Bashers and Main Men Social Club"; this is a nod to the masterpiece that is "The Bashers" documentary that was part of the Channel 4 "The Other Side" series.

The Wimpy Burger is a disguised Hornby Skaledale R8749 Faulkner Electrical. Again, I drew up my own artwork for the signage and advert. Wimpy restaurants were a staple feature of the not too distant past and I was surprised to learn that they still exist in the UK, but not in the North!

The Winter of Discontent/General Strike 

Keen-eyed readers will note the pile of bin bags outside the Wimpy. These are Peco model scene mail bags (5089). I carved off the GPO logo with a scalpel and removed the tags. They were sprayed with Humbrol Matt Black acrylic and then given a few coats of Humbrol Gloss Varnish Acrylic to create a sheen. These represent the piles of rubbish as seen in The Winter of Discontent; the series of general strikes between 1978 and 1979. It was a fairly significant moment in British history,  but I've never seen this feature on a layout before; I'd love to know if anyone else has modelled this. If you are not familiar with it, have a look in Google images, the photos are quite surprising.

I wanted to include it as a polar opposite of the kind of whimsical, twee Britain which more regularly features in a model railway.

IMG_20220828_144636688.jpg

IMG_20220828_144504556.jpg

IMG_20220828_144935346.jpg

IMG_20220902_003234383_HDR.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

So after a busy weekend and a few busy evenings, I have integrated the layout into an existing continuous run, and the two central lines are up and running.

The distant and nearside line may well purely be used for window dressing at this stage (i.e. parcels service on display) but I can live with that for now.

The whole segment can be removed if needed for exhibition.

My next current task is to make another set of catenary masts on the kit-bashed Dapol gantry. Photos will follow at that stage, with ballasting and overhead wiring to follow later on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

... hipster ...

In the 1970's?!?  Neil (available as a frock-coated fop from one hundred years earlier, if the price is right.  😀  ).

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Hipster as mentioned in the John Cooper Clarke's Beasley Street.

https://johncooperclarke.com/poems/beasley-street

Not in front of the vicar though

Thanks so much for that, @eastwestdivide .  No idea the term dated that far back, and I can only plead for mercy for my ignorance of the source's lines.

[Exits left, grabbing hat and coat, towards his Dictionary ...]

• Funny 2

Think hipsters date back even furher than the 70s. My big OED has the word as mid-20th century (with the meaning of "a person who is hip", not the style of trousers!), while this wikipedia article has it from the 1940s as a hip follower of jazz: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(1940s_subculture)

Edited by eastwestdivide
formatting
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

@eastwestdivide you beat me to it.  The relevant definition I found on the Oxford English Dictionary is:

hipster, n.2 and adj.1.

[Definition] A.2.b. More generally: a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially one having a self-conscious sense of being outside the cultural mainstream; someone who is (or is regarded as) hip, cool, or sophisticated.
Since the late 1990s, used to denote a type or stereotype of relatively affluent young urban males adopting aspects of bohemian or alternative lifestyles (such as vintage fashions, facial hair, artisanal food and drink, etc.), in a manner often (depreciatively) considered vogueish, pretentious, or superficial.

1989   Spectator 15 Apr. 39/3   The hipsters will all be talking about the nose-flutes of Burkina Faso.

but the first mention is from the 1920's, re Jazz singers.

Sorry to drag this all off-topic, but I do love to learn something new every day.  Best wishes to you all.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Dragging you back in topic, how about a few 4mm scale rats in and amongst that heap of rubbish bags?

I've got some 3D printed foxes and some white metal seagulls from an older project that will be reused here.

It will end up looking like The Animals of Farthing Wood!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1