The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

October electric price increase and the £400 credit

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't sure where to put this so started a new thread.

We've all heard about the £400 we're getting towards energy this winter which is being credited to the electricity providers as nearly 100pct of us are on electric.

I'm curr £139 in credit and my curr DD of £74pcm (for the Apr-Sep prices) should have been correct to break even at the end of winter.  Prices are going up ~80pct in Oct so the £66 would have covered the increase for me (my heating is oil - not much mains gas in west Wales).

I was a bit perplexed to receive an email from Ovo today saying I need to increse my DD to £100 as they project I'd be £330 in debit by the end of winter - this doesn't take into account the £400 coming form the govt.  I spoke to a nice lady just now, and it seems for some reason the £66pcm will be paid to the suppliers, but they have to then give the money to us by whatever means we normally pay, and we then have to adjust our payment method to give money back to the supplier......

I guess it makes some sense as some of us may need energy support for oil/gas rather than electric but it does seem a bit of a faff.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I’m with Octopus and my understanding (based on their website info) is that they will reduce the direct debit demand by £66 for each month where they receive the rebate. That seems to make a lot more sense. So I can set the DD figure based on their recommended monthly amount but they will actually ask the bank for a reduced amount and top it up with the government contribution. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm with British Gas, and my understanding (at least from what was said earlier in the year) was that they would apply the £66 a month directly to my account.  Its then up to them (or me) to adjust my DD. 

The trouble is, the £66 is being applied to my gas account, which I am in credit on, and not my electricity, which I am in debit on them. 

The £400 we've been promised?  I'm still waiting for the £150 that nice Mr Sunak promised me.

North Herts District Council have got it, and because I pay my council tax by standing order rather than direct debit they're holding on to it.  They seem to have contracted this out to some company in Northampton, and I had to apply to them to have it paid to me.  I did so in the middle of April, and they still haven't paid me, nor have they replied to my correspondence.

46 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The £400 we've been promised?  I'm still waiting for the £150 that nice Mr Sunak promised me.

North Herts District Council have got it, and because I pay my council tax by standing order rather than direct debit they're holding on to it.  They seem to have contracted this out to some company in Northampton, and I had to apply to them to have it paid to me.  I did so in the middle of April, and they still haven't paid me, nor have they replied to my correspondence.

Write a letter to your local paper. Nothing gee's 'em up like bad publicity.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Down here in Carmarthenshire it was sorted reasonably quickly.  I don't pay by DD and those who do got their money first.  I had to wait for them to write some programs/web interface etc etc but once it was live got my money in approx 2 weeks after entering details online (money received 10June)

16 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The same here. The latest news is that I will have the £150 deducted from my December bill. The council claim that they did not have enough information to either credit my acount or to be able to send me a cheque.

We are probably dealing with the same people as several local authorities are using the same subcontractor.

Bernard 

Rebates & grants for services we pay for? It stinks of corruption to me.

I work full time & get what I think is a decent wage. Surely I should earn my wages, pay my taxes & pay my way. Then rebates should be for those unable to work?

Any rebates or grants are just band aid to fix a system which is corrupt to make some people feel they are getting something for free.

It is not just energy. It seems there is a work from home rebate. So you may spend more on heating, lighting & power if you work from home, but save on not getting to the office. So why the rebate?

I am self employed though, so I have an accountant to advise me what I should claim for.

• Like 2