Railway modeller October 2022

'CHARD

As a recent returnee to the printed media, this is a very good issue featuring fabulous work in 'N' particularly. 

Benn Pollard's Barton Road, set in the pre-TOPS transition era 1969-72, just drips with careworn late-industrial atmosphere that would be familiar to so many of us in our formative and thus inspirational modelling years. 

Well worth the cover price for this layout alone, and this is said as an OO practitioner - albeit one firmly rooted in the sights and sounds of 1968 - so I will freely admit a bias!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Barton Road is one of those layouts that looks even better in the flesh, seeing it operated.

Given it is N, no zooming trains, it's all slow, there is plenty of shunting and not a lot of hand of God action, if I see it at an exhibition I stop at it for ages.

It oozes atmosphere.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Barton Road is one of those layouts that looks even better in the flesh, seeing it operated.

Given it is N, no zooming trains, it's all slow, there is plenty of shunting and not a lot of hand of God action, if I see it at an exhibition I stop at it for ages.

It oozes atmosphere.

Benn's approach is very considered, and this really shines through in the qualities you've described. 

• Like 2