Cv51/52 in JMRI

boxbrownie

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

So is V5 in the listing the EU/U.K.

I'm still using an old version of JMRI  (Version 4.16) and there is Plenty of V5 definitions in there.

ESU-V5-DP_Ver-4-16.jpg.2c9dda2af7689c0fed45a33ace395859.jpg

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If you try to identify decoder types using CV8 & CV7, you will see why.

CV8 is the manufacturer code. They all seem to stick to this. I expect they have to.

I found the information tab quite usefull for the V5.

ESU-Info-Tab-Edit.jpg.fa0f36c9075689eb608e444fbbf1f9b2.jpg

• Like 1

I think the problem is that functionality has moved beyond what is defined in NMRA DCC standards. If the standards are changed then many older decoders will be useless. We saw such a change when NMRA DCC was defined. Users of older DCC systems like Zero 1 were forced to upgrade if they wanted the new featured offered.

Instead of the standards being widened, manufacturers made their own additions in their own ways in order to provide more functionality.

There was a similar advance in computer networking a few years ago when power over ethernet (PoE) was introduced. There were initially no standards so different manufacturers used their own. If you had a Cisco phone, you could only use Cisco PoE switches. Then an industry standard was announced which was great but the new (at the time) Cisco phones would not work with the existing switches. It was a complete mess, but manageable because corporate IT hardware has a much shorter life than model railways

7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I think the problem is that functionality has moved beyond what is defined in NMRA DCC standards. If the standards are changed then many older decoders will be useless.

Where's the problem?

The DCC standards have always allowed for manufacturer specific CVs. Some manufacturers have done a better job than others of using these CVs to allow for v=better configurability and interrogation of features.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'm still using an old version of JMRI  (Version 4.16) and there is Plenty of V5 definitions in there.

ESU-V5-DP_Ver-4-16.jpg.2c9dda2af7689c0fed45a33ace395859.jpg

I found the information tab quite usefull for the V5.

ESU-Info-Tab-Edit.jpg.fa0f36c9075689eb608e444fbbf1f9b2.jpg

There is only a couple more versions included in the latest version, as for that second pain being useful, how?

Sorry, it’s just me I think as nothing in that window means a lot unless I guess you have access to the manufacturers information (product ID etc) as well.

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Sorry, it’s just me I think as nothing in that window means a lot unless I guess you have access to the manufacturers information (product ID etc) as well.

As I said earlier. I've only experience of one Loksound V5 decoder. 

I think, LokSound 5 DCC ProductID is 200009C & LokSound 5 ProductID is 2000096

It might be worthwhile you subscribing to the Loksound I.O. group and asking there.

https://groups.io/g/Loksound/topics

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

As I said earlier. I've only experience of one Loksound V5 decoder. 

I think, LokSound 5 DCC ProductID is 200009C & LokSound 5 ProductID is 2000096

It might be worthwhile you subscribing to the Loksound I.O. group and asking there.

https://groups.io/g/Loksound/topics

I am a member on the ESU official forum but TBH they are hopeless, ESU seem to be very, very insular with their information.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

( with reference to version 4.16...)   There is only a couple more versions included in the latest version, as for that second pain being useful, how?

JMRI v4.16 (which PorkyMain is using) is 3 years old.   I'm very confident that quite a few things will have changed in the ESU files in three years.    

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I am a member on the ESU official forum but TBH they are hopeless, ESU seem to be very, very insular with their information.

The groups.io list may be more informative.   There are people there who have some access into ESU, including the chap who writes all the JMRI files for ESU.    

17 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

The groups.io list may be more informative.   There are people there who have some access into ESU, including the chap who writes all the JMRI files for ESU.    

Yep! Like all individuals that give up there time freely and contribute decoder definitions, very few appear to give any thanks. The V5 definitions much must take an immense amount of work.

17 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

PorkyMain

Voluminous but not portly although I do take the very occasional gill of stout.

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
spelling

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

JMRI v4.16 (which PorkyMain is using) is 3 years old.   I'm very confident that quite a few things will have changed in the ESU files in three years.    

I was just commenting upon the extra few decoders in the V5 list, nothing else.

The ESU forum I am a member of is the official forum run by ESU, with all the ESU updates and firmware stuff, it’s just that when you ask a question almost always you get an answer which seems to indicate “your’e an idiot, why did you not know that?”….the friendliest answers come from US members.

Ill take a look at that group though, it sounds interesting.